Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Complexion Club
|

what concealer

i'm looking for a concealer that is good coverage but isn't very noticeable. i need it for school but i don't want it to be obvious i'm wearing makeup. it would be for blemishes and acne but not really under eyes. i would like something that could do both but blemishes are mostly my problem. i don't wear foundation so it needs to be able to blend into my skin. and i'm not made of money so nothing crazy. if you can help that would be great.

Re: what concealer

I also second the people talking about nars---the radiant cream concealer is an awesome choice and I also think their pot concealer is really great for giving a little more spot coverage. 

Hi indiaadams, 

Have you tried the IT Cosmetics Bye Bye Under Eye™ Full Coverage Anti-Aging Waterproof Concealer?

I know it says undereyes, but I actually use this concealer to cover any blemishes/uneven skintone on days where I don't want to wear foundation. A little goes a longggg way and I've found that the product doesn't rub off during the day so I don't need to worry about reapplying!

Hope this helps 🙂

Bisous, 

Sian

I second the suggestions for the Kat von D and NARS concealers. NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer is what I use most of the time. I also like Laura Mercier Secret Camouflage because you mix your own shade so it's no big deal if you're a little more tan or pale than usual, but you definitely need to apply it with a brush. All three are full coverage.

Applying any kind of concealer with a brush gives you a lot more control so you can place it exactly where it needs to go. Otherwise, you usually have too little coverage on the blemish and too much coverage on the surrounding skin or vice versa and it looks unnatural. Any sort of semi-stiff pointed synthetic brush will work. Having some powder to set it really helps it last through the day, mattifies the finish, and helps the color blend in to your skin.

I also find that different concealer consistencies work better for different types of blemishes. Sometimes you find that the concealer just won't stick to the blemish or accentuates dry skin around the blemish, so it's good to have some options. If your skin is dried out from an acne treatment, patting on a little moisturizer or a silicone-based primer like Benefit Porefessional before you apply the concealer helps. If the blemish is moist, sometimes the only thing that will stick to it is a rubbing your finger or a brush in some powder foundation and patting it on. I like having a drier formula like Laura Mercier or Benefit Boi-ing on hand as well as a liquid formula like NARS. Pencil concealers like NUDESTIX or Urban Decay 24/7 are also great for on the go and when you're in a hurry.

In general, the best concealer is the one that matches your skin tone. I have much better luck with some lines than others. I wore Clinique all through high school and part of college before realizing that there's nothing in their shade range that is a good match for my skin tone. If you go to a Sephora in person, I'm sure they would be happy to set you up with some samples from different brands so you can figure out which shades and consistencies work best for you. 

Make sure to get the concealer colour matched at a Sephora before a purchase. This ensures it will be the closest shade to your skin tone and make it less visible that you are wearing a concealer. Then it depends on the coverage you're seeking; medium will helps with blemishes but for those angry red spots, it will require a colour correcting green concealer and then a full coverage concealer. Sephora has a great line of colour correcting concealers for a reasonably cheap price. Though for your main concealer, try finding one that is worth the buck. Kat Von D has a concealer that is 0.53 ounces for $31 (CDN). It is a medium to full coverage and you get more for your dollar. Though brands such as Tarte, Too Face,Urban Decay, Smashbox, and Nars also have great concealers. Tarte is a good brand for if you enjoy more natural products on your face. If you prefer a wand concealer, Nars has a lovely one, same with Kat Von D. 

Conversation Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 Hearts Given
  • 5 Contributors
testing