Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Customer Support
|

tracking returns w/o my knowledge = invasion of privacy!!! please advise!!!

I've been very disturbed by hearing that Sephora can track/ban returns (without any notice of this on their return policy, back of receipt, anywhere!!!) I am weary about being tracked in general, ESPECIALLY without my knowledge!!! Does anyone know HOW Sephora is tracking your returns? Is through your Beauty Insider/VIB/Rouge account or just a credit card OR only non-receipt return using your photo ID? I'm curious because I could deal without the beauty reward points if I was able to make still make returns (all in good faith!) and they couldn't track me...kinda creepy actually, especially because they don't disclose this info anywhere on their website or in their return policy. Any insight to this would be super helpful. Thanks!

Re: tracking returns w/o my knowledge = invasion of privacy!!! please advise!!!

I will join a class action lawsuit re: illegal invasion of privacy. I got a ridiculous letter, unsigned, negating their stated return policy and saying I have too many returns etc etc. After thousands of dollars in purchases, this is beyond stupid to challenge a good customer. I don't need Sephora. We have Ulta, Space NK, Blue Mercury, not to mention every Department store in NYC, as well as Zitomer, Bigelow, and on and on. The reps at Sephora know very little about skin care products and generally could be selling shoes or anything else. Taking their advice is risky and in addition, their on-line deliveries are messed up. They are either stolen before shipping or arrive crushed and mangled. In other words, they need us more than we need them. Aside from a pending lawsuit which I hope comes about, I'm done with Sephora. 

RE: tracking returns w/o my knowledge = invasion of privacy!!! please advise!!!

I just made a return and this was in the terms somewhere I really can't believe it though, because last time someone complained about not receiving their samples sephora cs advised them to just get the full size to try it out as they have a great return policy...I wonder how many returns they consider too many and if it's per month or year. I don't make many returns in general but I'm really curious lol. Does anyone know how this works??

Wish I could even return my order but they delivered it to a completely different address and told me to travel there to get it! I have to do a chargeback on my credit card because they refuse to do anything. 

This is definitely none of my business, but you are being "tracked" by every retailer across a number of parameters - card, user id, phone number, billing address, device id, etc and this is being done for fraud prevention purposes. For these purposes they won't be disclosing the exact policy - it opens the door to more abuse. Source - I work in payments and fraud prevention, have nothing to do with Sephora though. It's so naive to think that you have any privacy to begin with. Rest assured, everyone keeps track of you purchases, refunds and chargebacks.

RE: Re: tracking returns w/o my knowledge = invasion of privacy!!! please advise!!!

I’ve no doubt that their privacy policy and other policies made freely available to you in the web (and usually displayed in the checkout area) indicates that they are able to collect and share data in order to protect their business and identify/mitigate fraud. Most if not all retailers and web services have them. Whenever you deal with anybody or any entity it is on you to do your due diligence to ensure they meet your standards and expectations, it is reasonable to expect retailers to track your info as part of doing business with them, although it is not reasonable and in many cases illegal for them to sell that info unless you have expressly consented, although they may still sell info at aggregate level so long as it doesn’t specifically identify you.

Yes, bothers me too. Then if you return an item at a SIJC...

Yes, bothers me too. Then if you return an item at a SIJCP even with a reciept(online exspecially) if they dont carry it they type your info in like a return without receipt. This flags your account, I wasnt able to exchange a gift due to this(only item Ive never had a receipt for. Its frustrating!

Hi @emilyclairebear,

Has this happened to your in stores or online? Please feel free to private message me if you need assistance. Thank you. 🙂

Best Regards,

❤️ Raquel

it hasn't happened to me but it happened to my cousin - i would just like more info on the tracking and how it applies or or doesn't apply to returns with receipt or without one. if i ever make a return i always have the receipt so i just want to make sure i'm not being tracked or possibly banned from returning in general. please advise. thank you.

Hi @emilyclairebear Returns without a receipt are subject to an approval process through TRE, a third party authorization firm. You shouldn't have an problem making a return with your receipt. 

1 Reply
Conversation Stats
  • 9 replies
  • 7 Hearts Given
  • 9 Contributors
testing