Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Customer Support
|

Who's tired of security in Sephora ??? โœ‹๐Ÿพ

Every time I just want to browse and relax my self (being around makeup and skincare is exciting for me), it always get dulled by a security guard following me around!! Can't I just browse when I'm bored, I'm f-ing a VIB for gods sake so of course I shop in Sephora ALOT, I'm damn near rouge!!! I genuinely want to know what you ladies/guys feel? Who has been followed while just browsing ?? Do I have to walk around with a rouge shirt to prove I buy things??!?!! Geez

Right? It's so annoying. Then there's the employees who ask you do you / need help every five seconds and follow you around clearing watching you as if you're a thief. I feel so uncomfortable, I'd shop exclusively online but I really want to just browse and test products first hand before making a purchase. I understand the intention and the purpose of it, but it just makes for a hostile experience for me there. I don't know, I really don't see anyway around it. ๐Ÿ˜ž

Re: Who's tired of security in Sephora ??? โœ‹๐Ÿพ

wow, I thought I wrote that at first lol.  never been to sephora, as there aren't any here, but when ulta opened up here, I avoided going in there for a looong time, bc I was sure they'd be all "what are YOU doing in here??" and following me around bc I'm just so weird and clearly don't belong in a beauty store...and I was right!  people say I'm too sensitive and stuff, but after reading allll the other similar comments here, now I know it's not just me!  I finally left a looong review on yelp, which I'd been wanting to do for a while, as every time I'd leave pissed off and say I'm never going back.  now, I hardly go in there much, and if I do I just try to ignore it, but it seems like they still have to say something every time they walk by...the last time, they kept saying they were closing, as usual...so I figured I should finally get up there so I didn't have to deal w/it...I thought I must be the last one in the store as usual, but after like 5 min. at the checkout, a couple other people came to checkout...I was like, whaaat? how come I didn't hear them saying to them "we're closing, better checkout" repeatedly?  It seems like they're always focusing on me.  before, a girl that I guess was annoyed about having to keep telling me they were closing, finally said that if I was going to buy anything, I'd better get to the checkout or she'd have to ask me to leave...really?  someone that's spent hundreds of dollars in your store, you "have to ask to leave"? LOL, that's some customer service. (I kept checking the time, and they hadn't even closed yet.  when I got to the front, there were still people checking out).  that's when I finally left my review, to make them aware of their issues.

Hi @treestar86,

I am so sorry to hear this. I will send you a PM to further assist you.

Best,

Rebecca

@RebeccaBT  thanks, but this was ulta, as there are no sephoras near me so I've never been in one.

Back in my 20's I'll have to say that I've definitely worked my fair share of retail jobs and thru many holidays of pure pandemonium that typically started at 5am on Saturdays! Always did think some of those people were a lil crazy! LOL! Jk!๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜‰ And the beauty counters were not exempt by any means! I am extremely happy that someone is at least paying attention to the individuals and/or unmonitored kids determined to try every single color in every single category of makeup sample displays. Security is also there for your protection of God only knows what someone else just contaminated the sample display with! Countless times I have watched at several Sephora's and other stores while someone else carelessly slathered the sample directly onto their lips, hands and Whatever else came to their minds! The mind blowing part is that it's typically adults of all ages and ethnicities in Sephora doing this. Won't even mention the individual busted by security swiping bothwallets of another pair of individuals completely engulfed in the newest shadow color palette. So keep in mind that these types of stores are loaded with lots of samples they are responsible with keeping other contaminated fingers out of for your safety also! Not to mention making sure that you are paying attention to your own personal possessions while someone else may be paying even more attention too!๐Ÿ˜‰ Sorry but I'm all about loving extra security and sales associates paying attention that other people aren't overindulged and helping themselves to Whatever I'm waiting to look at! Please be safe and always aware out there ladies!

Ditto.

I have to drive 2 hours to go to a stand-alone Sephora (my local Sephora/JCP just isn't the same...), so when I get in there, I STAY.  I mean for hours.  I can literally spend all day walking around in Sephora - and I'm Rouge, so I actually do more than browse.  This actually happened to me on my last trip into Sephora:  the security guard came up to me and said, "I'm security here.  Can I have your name?  It's just that you've been here for so long."  I put my product-filled basket on the ground, apologized for overstaying my welcome, and walked out.  

I had never been so insulted in my life.

So, yes, you are not alone.

@RealPaiger, sorry about your experience. I also have to...

@RealPaiger, sorry about your experience. I also have to drive 2.5 hours to the closest stand alone Sephora. When entering the store someone always ask if I need help. I explain I just drove 2.5 hours to shop and I will probably be in their store for a couple hours looking around and explain I only have a SiJCP. Nobody has ever bothered me after that and each person is helpful when I get to their section of the store. When traveling to see family the other direction 3 hours, same scenario at that Sephora store.

Hi all! I am so sorry to hear about everyone's store experiences! If you'd like us to file a formal store complaint on your behalf, please send me or any of the mods a private message with the exact store you visited, date of your visit and best contact information so we can further assist you. Thank you.

Hi,

So I went to sephora today in NYC near 34st. As soon as I enter no one bother. Then I was looking for somone to try the shade of foundation a lady came and help me in rush. Then I took the basket and put my Sephora bag which I need to return and start looking for another item. All of the sudden a black guy came staring at me and talking to another employe literally pointing out to me. I walk to another aisle he came up to me if I need any help. I said no thanks. I went in the line got three things which I wanted to buy. He was still there waking around giving me strange looks. I got so scared and upset and I literately thinking what am I doing that making him to this. Till the end I paid he was there  walkinh around me and staring me. Never ever I m going to sephora again. 

Worst experience I have been shopping for years never happened with me Before!!!

Hi @h20nono I'm so sorry to hear about your experience. I will send you a PM for more information. 

I live in Buffalo NY. Only SAs in stores here. No security in store. The SAs ask you if you need help A LOT. Sorry for your experience.

RE: Who's tired of security in Sephora ??? โœ‹๐Ÿพ

I agree! Just install cameras everywhere and have the security watch those then act accordingly. I was with my friend and tag-along-security in an aisle one day and she was looking at a lipstick and swatched it bc she didnโ€™t want to try on the store sample. I had the exact same one in my purse and gave it to her to try. We even told the guy who had been following us around the store that it was mine (see, itโ€™s half used and the old tube design) but he still kept following us around. We didnโ€™t stay long. Also, not to make things about race, but...

Wow, so I am not the only one. For the last couple of months, every time I go to one of their locations in Northern VA, I feel so uncomfortable. Sometimes the associates at the registers make me feel like they are doing me a favor, weird uncomfortable looks.  And the associates walking around the store start following me around like crazy.  Every time I go there, I promise myself to never go back there again. Ugh! 

RE: Re: Who's tired of security in Sephora ??? โœ‹๐Ÿพ

Iโ€™ve almost always had great shopping experiences and I would say especially at Sephora and LUSH. Thereโ€™s no visible security at my localSephora but in other stores that have security I have sometimes feltlike they were following me around at times, definitely. I didnโ€™t reallymind because they were just doing their jobs and I wasnโ€™t doing anything wrong but I understand some people might find it uncomfortable but at the same time I think we also have to consider that a store willing to pay for a full time security guard is loosing enough money to thefts to need to pay someone to try and curtail those thefts so if they are paying a security guard itโ€™s because in their experience they need one so I try to keep that in mind. Funnily enough the one place Iโ€™ve feltlike the security guard was really digging my steps was the dollar store hahahaha. One security guard once stalked me through the dollar storeand stared so intently at me for like 30 minutes that I was beginning toactually get a bit uncomfortable when he finally walked upand awkwardly asked for my phone number so I guess he was trying to work up the nerve to do it - I guess it goes to show we can never know what people are thinking. @ayeshasalam - your post seems to be about a feeling - thatโ€™s entirely subjective and we never really know what other people are thinking unless they actually tell us. Imean I have mostly had great experiences but also a few duds on occasion at every business I frequent very very often. Ithink if you go to any store often enough youโ€™ll eventually meet someone who is having an off day or is in a bad mood or doesnโ€™t take their represent the values of the company theyโ€™re working for. Since we donโ€™t know what other people are thinking sometimes itโ€™s possible to project and assume the worst about people. I find that if I smile at people and I say please and thank you and I am polite most people will return that courtesy but not always - most of the time though.

RE: Re: Who's tired of security in Sephora ??? โœ‹๐Ÿพ

Iโ€™m at that point as well staff seem so unfriendly here in Vancouver or Richmond bc , Canada. doesnโ€™t even matter what store I go to itโ€™s been like that for months. Just today they didnโ€™t even ask for my membership card I had to offer it and then no offer of a bag just hand my stuff and look for the next person. I have free makeovers and like 1200 points but am at the point I donโ€™t like going in. Very off putting, and unwelcoming. And Iโ€™m not the only one my friends say the same thing.

Hi @ayeshasalam,

I am so sorry to hear this. I will send you a PM to further assist you. 

Best,
Rebecca

@Lana26

Sorry to hear about this. I'll send you a private message. 

-Mali

I used to spend a lot of time in store swatching makeup a...

I used to spend a lot of time in store swatching makeup and I end up picking up a lot more than I anticipated. Over the years, I noticed that Sephora really tackle down theft by hiring more LPs, securities and providing anti theft strategies to their SAs. Not saying that it is a bad thing, but there should be some stricter guidelines to ensure that customers are still comfortable while shopping instead of feeling like a criminal or being stalked/followed. I stopped shopping in store due to a very unfortunate encounter with a LP and do most of my shopping online. I still purchase a lot of product (hence my rouge status), but I am also returning a lot more than I did before when I shopped in store.

RE: I used to spend a lot of time in store swatching makeup a...

And that sucks because it wastes so much time!!! They follow the wrong people . I work across the street from one and am in there a lot. They should know my face by now but now I'm so uncomfortable from my last experience it's sad . It's like if you don't have a basket in hand , you're automatically being watched AND worst FOLLOWED! You're right, they need to ensure that customers are comfortable.
Anonymous Insider

RE: Who's tired of security in Sephora ??? โœ‹๐Ÿพ

I have never seen security in any of the Sephoras I have been in. I wonder if they do this in specific areas based on higher reports of theft? The only places around me that have security guards are very high ticket item places like Best Buy, Tiffany, Louis Vouitton etc....not makeup stores. Oh and discount stores like Marshalls and TJ Max. I live in Orlando Florida for reference.
1 Reply
Conversation Stats
testing