Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Customer Support

Spam in Private Messages

Hi Wonderful Admins,

Just wanted to bring to your attention a user that is sending spam/hoax messages privately to BT users.  Not sure how many other people also received the private message that I received below:

Good morning(waiting to read from you soon)
Sent: ‎11-27-2012 06:10

God bless you I am Miss. Veronica the director of bill furthermore at the foreign remittance department of SG-SSB Bank Limited, board of administrator en route for my bank mandated me to look for least known relative of our late client he deposited in our bank sum of fourteen million five hundred thousand dollars, send a mail to my private email address (loveveronica17@gmail.com  or vera.dora@ymail.com  ) so that I can explain more details to you, please acknowledge my mail, Best regards, Miss.Veronica

Just wanted to pass this along the name of this spammer to ensure they don't bug too many other people.

Thanks,
Fran

Thanks Fran, the user is banned and was instantly flagged...

Thanks Fran, the user is banned and was instantly flagged for it. Smiley Happy 

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana

Re: Thanks Fran, the user is banned and was instantly flagged...

Thanks Diana! :-)

i got the same. wtf is with that? thought this place was...

i got the same. wtf is with that? thought this place was safe/private. Smiley Happy 

Re: i got the same. wtf is with that? thought this place was...

I received this too and was wondering what could/should be done.

I got the email today too and I pressed the "ignore" butt...

I got the email today too and I pressed the "ignore" button on the BT email and I notified one of the moderators. This person is messing with the wrong crowd.

I'm very concerned because there are a lot of kids and teens on these boards and they might do something stupid like give this person their home addresses/bank accounts. Of course its SPAM but some people just see the "$" and respond right away. I get emails and calls just like this from time to time that claim that I either won some sort of lottery or that some family member left me money.... and I cant believe that I have to deal with it on here too! >_<

Remember guys: You cant WIN the lottery if you dont PLAY the lottery. To me thats common sense but you'd be surprised how many people just dont get it. So if you get an email/phone call that claims that you won some sort of money, its a spam.

I remember once getting a phone call from this creepy guy with an Indian accent. When I picked up the phone, he acted like he was *mad* at me because he's "been trying to reach me" for quite some time. Then he told me that I won some lottery (something like 40 million dollars, some outragious amount). He asked me for personal information, I told him I was not interested and hung up. He called me *every* *single* *day*. He said that I needed to go to Walmart and pick up a transfer. I had to threaten the police on him several times, and I registered my phone on the donotcall registry. It takes several months for most of the useless phone calls to stop, but it works. Its www.donotcall.gov and they block everyone that doesnt need to be calling you. I very rarely get phone calls from companies anymore. You can also file a compaint on that website after you register (its free) so if you get unwanted phone calls from companies that are hassling you with offers, they will block that number.

Everyone ignore this person!!!!

Re: I got the email today too and I pressed the "ignore" butt...

i got that spam too! bummer, as i was excited for a real message! haha!
Thanks ladies for posting about it for the admins to investigate! Smiley Happy

I got this too.  I'm glad it's been brought to everyone's...

I got this too.  I'm glad it's been brought to everyone's attention-although it seems pretty absurd for someone to contact you about estate and money issues through the Sephora website...I'm just glad it's being looked into. Smiley Happy

I received the same message.

I received the same message. 

I got 2 from the same user. Wouldn't have known without t...

I got 2 from the same user. Wouldn't have known without this thread though, as I rarely check that.

Thanks for posting this.

@Fran11- Thanks for posting this.

What? I didn't get one. Aww, now I feel left out. You may...

What? I didn't get one. Aww, now I feel left out. You may think it's unbelievable anyone would fall for this but that's because you are surrounded by technology. Some are people are old fashioned or are technology illiterate enough that they don't own any smartphone or computers even now, some are gullible young kids, and some are immigrants from another country unfamiliar with the language/culture/internet practices here. When they see things like these, they don't necessarily know it's a scam and they may not have someone to ask, or know to ask. It's interesting, and sad really, to see how many ways information can get stolen and people can get scammed (one reason I hate it when big tech companies tries to link my accounts together (I'm looking at you google! Bad google!) or saves my personal information without asking (sorry Siri, you are just not my type).).

ps. Most of you probably already know common indications of scam. Not sure if it's common knowledge, but also beware of legitimate looking links/URLs! When you hover your mouse over the link, the actual URL of the link shows up on the bottom left corner of your browser. You can link URL to any words, so the link can say "bankofamerica.com" but with the actual URL being "yougotscammed.com". Lastly, whatever word/phrase is before the ".com", ".org",  ".net" etc is the actual website. So if you get a secret sale email saying "click here!" and the link is sephora.freewebsites.com/deals, it's actually the sephora section of the website freewebsites.com. If the link is freewebsites.sephora.com/deals, it's probably actually a sephora site. Sometimes companies source specific things, like surveys, to 3rd parties, so sephora.surveymonkey.com is prob legit. But, yeah...if you are really unsure if it's legit or not from everything else, that's the last step and much harder to hide.

Re: What? I didn't get one. Aww, now I feel left out. You may...

Many actual secure sites will have a https:// too!

Re: What? I didn't get one. Aww, now I feel left out. You may...

I didn't get one either....r we the lucky ones I suppose?

Oh no!  Sorry about that everyone!  I'll follow up on the...

Oh no!  Sorry about that everyone!  I'll follow up on the spam situation & see what I can do to get that nonesense to stop Smiley Wink Thanks for the heads up!!

xo, Mia

Re: Oh no!  Sorry about that everyone!  I'll follow up on the...

Thank you! :-)

The stupidity of the email is truly mind boggling. Gramma...

The stupidity of the email is truly mind boggling. Grammar and spelling problems aside, who would actually believe that anyone would amass $14+ million and not be overwhelmed with estate planners? Everytime I go to the bank they are always touting a new estate planning service, and that's to average people, not the wealthy by any means.

It's also mind boggling that anyone would be taken in by an email like this, much less the 1% that the investigators found. P.T.Barnum was right.

Re: The stupidity of the email is truly mind boggling. Gramma...

Got it too didn't open it or respond . I hope Sephora can look into it and stop this because it makes me think our information could be compromised in some way.Seriously if someone would fall for this they should not be allowed to go outside by them selves.=D

You would think that in this day an age people would be wise enough not to fall for this kind of stuff, but I guess some people must, otherwise these spammers would not bother with this junk. It's a shame that there are people out there who try to make money off of other people this way.

Yeah, needless to say mind boggling sums it up!

I'm sure scammers use the holiday season to prey upon folks even more! Sickos!

Ditto... same message.  Geeze.  Spam on my beauty board!

Ditto... same message.  Geeze.  Spam on my beauty board!  

25 Replies
Conversation Stats