cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Customer Support
|

Reminder to our Beauty Talk Community

Good Morning!

In an effort to keep our boards a positive environment and continue to remain the fun loving product-obsessed community we are, I want to send a reminder to please, play nice with one another!

Everyone was new to Beauty Talk at one point or another and we ask that you please do not take it upon yourselves to "educate" or "moderate" our new friends with guidelines outside of what we already have posted. (regarding posts, board rules, etc.)  This is what us mods are here for! 😉 

We're happy to participate, chat about product and help out when needed, but keep in mind that every post that comes through IS indeed seen by us and we will take the appropriate action. You can absolutely message us or flag anything as "abusive" if you feel it truly necessary.

Please refrain from any insulting, negative or bullying comments (this includes PM's) to other users, moderators or admins, whether they are new or seasoned. This is NOT tolerated and should it continue we will have to reconsider allowing any of the TSB threads to be posted or even individual participation/memberships in Beauty Talk. We would truly hate to do this so please- embrace your fellow BT'ers and share your passion for product with each other! 🙂 Please keep in mind this is not a new rule, nor is it being changed for anyone new to the boards- but is the same reminder we post every few months.

Beauty Talk Guidelines> http://community.sephora.com/t5/Welcome-Getting-Started/BeautyTalk-Guidelines/m-p/21/highlight/true#...

Sephora.com Terms of Use> http://www.sephora.com/contentStore/mediaContentTemplateNoNav.jsp?mediaId=11300018

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana

Re: Reminder to our Beauty Talk Community

With all due respect I don't believe making a statement of fact to correct a post is taking it upon oneself to "educate" or "moderate".  If I can share the benefit of my experience with someone I believe I should do so.  That's why the question is being asked, isn't it?  If I can give someone the facts to make a decision, I think I should do so. 

I really don't understand what the TSB's have to do with any of this

I think (and may be wrong) that this has to do with what happened on Saturday.

Ooooh, is that what started it all? The hearts comment now makes more sense. I'm so out of the loop lol.

You're probably right, rdesigns. Good call. So much drama. *faints*

Anonymous Insider

Many of the users who complained about feeling "left out" or expressed anger at HOF/older members wanted to be in TSBs, most of which now have rules about number of hearts/posts/time on BT to join. It's not clearly connected, but not being able to join a TSB seems to be the inciting incident for a lot of the drama lately.

And really all those rules were unfortunately introduced because of a few bad eggs (some new people some not) pulling some shady business with TSBs. Stealing boxes outright. Taking out $100 worth of product and putting in disgusting, used drugstore stuff worth $5. Unfortunately shady people like that are the reason restrictions were created. 

If I were new and wanting to be in a TSB and was told I couldn't yet and the reasons why I would be fine with that. I would wait until I'd built some trust within the community and then participate according to those guidelines. I would not throw an internet tantrum like a ten year old. Participating in a TSB is a privilege not a right. It involves trust and respect. People that clearly can't demonstrate those values will never be included. Carrying on like a crying five year old about it instead of being mature about it certainly doesn't help them. 

Any internet community involves trust and respect that is built over time. It's like any social group. You wouldn't go to a party in real life and come running into a room full of strangers and start yelling and throwing tantrums because they won't be your instant new best friends when they know nothing about you. Same goes for online communities. Some people you will click with and some people will rub you the wrong way. Just like life. 

I am still quite new to BT, but I agree that a lot of drama does seem to come over TSBs.  That being said, I have yet to figure out WHY.  If someone said I couldn't be in a TSB with them, I wouldn't write a bunch of nasty posts about it.  Seems tactless.  I would be a little upset/annoyed, sure, but then I'd just move on to other fun things.  At the end of the day, as much as we all love it, it's just makeup.  It's not life threatening or anything.  I hate to see all the drama.  And I would hate even more if everyone got punished for it. Just my two cents.

I understand why you have such a policy, but particularly in response to the "educating" bit:

There are frequently posts that are wrong. Not in a matter of opinion, but flat out, objectively wrong. These are usually in response to someone who asked a specific question. I know it's the mods' job to correct people, but in such cases the OP is getting erroneous information in response to their question. In some cases it even had the potential to be detrimental to his/her health. I have never seen a mod step in to correct such information. Ever. Now I am relatively new so it might just be that I haven't noticed it. But I feel like it's morally wrong to allow a poster to leave with incorrect information, especially if it is something that could affect health.

Anonymous Insider

Hi ladies, 

I'm pretty sure Diana meant "educating" each other in terms of what is or is not allowed here on BeautyTalk (messaging a mod, duplicate posts, questions asked multiple times, posts is wrong boards, outside links, etc). If anything, I'd suggest ignoring the post, or flag it for review if you feel its violating our guidelines  😉  

In terms of makeup or beauty advice, everyone has their opinion & we will always suggest reaching out to a physician if the topic is questionable. I hope that clarifies it a little better 🙂

xo, Mia

so if people continue to point out to newbies that they are not supposed to post outside links, thereby giving them the opportunity to correct their error and to post, instead, a picture or similar relevant information, then sephora is going to erase all tsb threads?

this does not seem logical to me. since you guys are reading all the posts (as diana stated above), wouldn't it make more sense to pm specific members about posts that you deem to be inappropriate, rather than enact a blanket punishment that affects all participants of tsbs (which includes some newer members and many who have never posted anything remotely insulting)? instead, why not hold specific individuals accountable for their behavior and give them the opportunity to modify it? 

i've said it before and i'll say it again. tsb's are good for sephora. they cause me (and others) to buy more things at sephora so i can add them to tsbs. if i miss out on a goodie in a tsb, i will likely buy it from sephora. before, if there was a product i was unsure about, i'd skip buying it. now, i will not hesitate to purchase because if i don't end up liking it, i can put it into a tsb. tsb's also reduce the number of returns i've made to sephora for the same reason. i have spent far more money at sephora since participating in tsb's. 

in my opinion, i do not think this is a well thought out proposal/threat for bt or sephora. i highly doubt that cancelling tsbs will reduce bullying on bt. even cancelling memberships won't work to eliminate bullying - people can just create new accounts. in my estimation, cancelling tsbs and bt memberships would probably just reduce sales and diminish loyalty to sephora.

I see. Thanks for the clarification!

Good to know, thanks! You might want to consider phrasing the guidelines a little more clearly then. I think people may have been confused by it. I have seen some of the mean girl accusatory people try to use that rule as a means of finger-pointing. i.e. "You're so mean! It's not your job to correct people, that's the mods' job! I'm going to report you!" when there was clearly nothing mean or rude going on, the person just didn't like being corrected or felt it was her responsibility to say that in defense of someone else who was being corrected.

You were too fast for me, Mia!

I may be wrong, Diana will correct me on this I hope- I think the "don't educate or moderate...outside of guidelines" is more about policing board behaviour than it is about talking about beauty.

I think we are definitely encouraged to discuss and disagree when it comes to beauty or health, the point is more that we should not be taking it upon ourselves to all be moderators, policing what new members are or are not permitted to say or do themselves.

That was my interpretation of the post - I definitely agree with you that we should always speak up if somebody is being given bad or erroneous advice that could hurt them!

Anonymous Insider

It's not just new members that are policed, it's current and established members as well. I think we all could stand to remember that our opinion and feelings are not the end-all, be-all and that we should all make an attempt to be respectful of the posts of others.

agreed!

Anonymous Insider

I'm right there with ya 😉

I've seen this quite a bit lately - frustrating to see.

This is a beauty board. We share our thoughts and opinions on products and people ask for opinions and thoughts. I will absolutely correct somebody that is sharing erroneous "advice." Especially when that "advice" is using a product incorrectly, or can be damaging to a person's health.

There is a huge difference between being rude and correcting somebody for the sake of making a correction and making a polite correction and sharing your opinion.

As far as I know, nobody has gotten rude while correcting somebody. Obviously, if these situations were out of control, that's one thing. But they're not.

I have never seen someone getting rude while correcting erroneous information either, but I HAVE seen people get extremely defensive when they are corrected.  I can only assume that it is these members to which The Powers That Be seem to be catering, and it is extremely disappointing.

I'm pretty sure if I ever had to be corrected on how to do something I would be like "Oh dear god thank you!" Who wants to apply something wrong or even do something bad for your health. If your doing something I would at least want to do it right...

Spoiler
tumblr_m9x4v6WzNB1rck018o1_500.gif

2 Replies
testing