Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Customer Support

Beware! Someone Hacked Into My Account

Hi everyone, 

I wanted to share what happened to me today. I received an email from Sephora saying my email had changed. Thought that was weird, as I didn't change my email. Looked at my account (still open on my ipad) and saw over 250$ worth of stufff ordered and charged to my account that I did not order. Freaked out, called Sephora. I was panicking (I had this vision of them ordering things willynilly as I scrambled!)  They canceled the order and changed my email, and I then changed my password. I also called my credit card company and had my card cancelled. 

The weird things are that 1) I have the address of the person who was trying to order from me--they are based in Canada, in Toronto--just a weird thing to have! and 2) a few weeks ago, I got a message in my inbox about an ABH palette going on sale for half off. Like an idiot, I clicked the link--and nothing happened. I now think that this was how the hackers got into my account. 

So--if you received those messages, and clicked on the link, I'd suggest checking your account and maybe changing passwords. I'm not 100 percent sure it was that, but it seems like it's a good possibility. 

Just a heads up to everyone--check and verify your orders! Hopefully it doesn't happen to anyone else! 

The best password to use (according to my classes) is a p...

The best password to use (according to my classes) is a phrase (like "applesaregood") with a few of the letters as symbols and numbers. so It'd be "@pp1e$@reg00D" It's not as easy for a computer or hacker to figure out compared to a kids or dogs name and a birthday or 1 after it.

RE: Beware! Someone Hacked Into My Account

This happened to me last night as well. I had two charges for over $100each, a diff email was at the login and I couldn’t change anything. Good thing I have alerts on my phone, I called customer service ASAP. She was AMAZING! They cancelled the orders right away, I was refunded then had to cancel two cards. Oddly enough I have the persons info as well as it’s on the cancelled order. The person is from Fountain Valley, CA.

Re: Beware! Someone Hacked Into My Account

This is so crazy! I'm glad you are getting it all sorted out though. 

I'm about to go update my password now D:

This morning I got a confirmation email that my order had been placed.  Apparently it happened at about four in the morning and somebody ordered a bottle of Chanel perfume for $130. I also have all of her information, although she changed my phone number by one digit. I had to have my credit card canceled and the charge denied, but no other charges have been made to my credit card so this is a huge pain because now I have to go through and change all of my auto pay settings. I feel like something must’ve happened through Sephora. I’m considering just closing my account because when I have to close the card, it’s a major ordeal. My main thing is, what are they going to do about this girl in Texas? If I know who placed the order, why is nobody pursuing it?

I had that exact same issue happening!

Was it from Richmond, TX?

ladymcquaid wrote:

This morning I got a confirmation email that my order had been placed.  Apparently it happened at about four in the morning and somebody ordered a bottle of Chanel perfume for $130. I also have all of her information, although she changed my phone number by one digit. I had to have my credit card canceled and the charge denied, but no other charges have been made to my credit card so this is a huge pain because now I have to go through and change all of my auto pay settings. I feel like something must’ve happened through Sephora. I’m considering just closing my account because when I have to close the card, it’s a major ordeal. My main thing is, what are they going to do about this girl in Texas? If I know who placed the order, why is nobody pursuing it?

Hi @ladymcquaid + @seasun. So sorry about this. As you know, fraud is an issue any and everyone can face and is more frequent now than ever; even with every security measure we take. Whenever something like this happens, our Solutions and Fraud team monitor the account for any future suspicious activity. If you need immediate assistance regarding your account after a dispute has been imitated with your financial institution, please do not hesitate to contact us so we can better assist you at 1-877-SEPHORA.

xo,

Jamila

The same thing happened to me this morning. I was notified by my credit card company. This person changed my email and password, they are from Richmond, TX. I hope sephora does something about this. I am thinking of reporting them as I have all of their information. I asked sephora going forward to delivery only if my billing and shipping are the same. I hope they have that feature. 

PS: I called the #s, as there were two on mine one from CA and one from Richmond TX. I will keep the rest of the info to myself. 

Just a thought: why are we keeping their identity so secure and not putting their name contact on social media? they don't care about all of us, why should we care about them? 

Hi @dianchick. So sorry about this. Please let me know if you need additional assistance.

xo,

Jamila

Hi this just happened to me too. Suddenly received an email that my email address had been changed although I had never login since last year since I am not based in US. Somehow I managed to relogin with my old details but saw the hacker placed 2 orders with my card. I had to email the CS but yet to receive the reply and I read that from "placed" status to "warehouse" takes very short time. I can't really call them either.

Oh if it help I suddenly received influx of emails with title "Your Sephora xxxx (random numbers)" which I ignored because the email address was not from sephora. However this happened at the same time and please take not of this because even without doing anything they might already be able to hack into your account.

Oh no! I see we have forwarded this to our fraud team so they can look into this further. 

Thank you! So weird. Nothing like this has ever happened to me with Sephora before! 

Sorry for all the trouble Smiley Sad  Thanks for posting about it! If they have the address couldn't they pursue this? I mean this isn't just trolling it's fraud right?

I think they are pursuing it! I asked and they said they would. It's so freaky! 

First of all, I am sorry this happened! I have had fraud on various accounts and it's terrible!

Secondly - thank you for the warning and heads up. 

Many of us 'trust' emails from known and frequent websites.  This post serves as a reminder that scammers are very creative in their endeavors to steal and get information. 

Also - thank goodness Sephora has safeguards in place... like, "Hey... just confirming you want to change your email." 

Thank you for sharing this with us! I will certainly be watching my account very carefully as well. 

Yes I was pretty happy that Sephora sent that email to let me know my email had been changed. And thank god I check sephora every day, otherwise the order would definitely have gone through. I think I was on the phone cancelling it ten minutes after it was made! 

This is awful! I got that email too, but thank goodness didn't click on it, especially if that is what has triggered this!! Its so odd that you have that persons address though, don't they know you could take that to the police because they attempted to commit fraud?

Thank goodness you were able to catch it in time and have the order cancelled, but i'm so sorry that happened, I feel like I would be so paranoid or worried after something like that Smiley Sad I hope everything is ok

Thank you Smiley Happy Glad you didn't click on that email! 

It is weird that I have the address! I even did a google map of it, and it's in an apartment building. The woman's name didn't hit any google searches, tho, so I wonder if it's not her real name (probably isn't). 

I'm okay now, got a new bank card and I'm already stalking more products haha! 

I'm sorry to hear that happened to you Smiley Sad I also received the ABH palette PM. I did click the message to open it but i didn't click the link within the message. Thanks for warning the community. Hopefully many did not click the link. 

@czikimonkey I forgot to ask you what sort of device you were using when you clicked the link. Supposedly it makes a difference for "hackability". 

I was using an ipad pro. I am surprised it was hacked, tbh, but I suppose that if I had my account open when I hacked the link could have opened it on their servers also....I'm not sure they ever had my password. 

24 Replies
Conversation Stats