Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Customer Support

Any Canadians out there?

If so how do you feel about this duty we are being charged? Anyone still buying? Do we have any options?

Re: Any Canadians out there?

yes! Can't wait for the Sherway one!

Another option for western Canadians, is London Drugs. They are doing spring events right now, it's $10 for the ticket which is redeemable at the event and a makeover with a brand rep. They have some great mid range and high end brands. I have gone to these twice, once with Lise Watier and Shiseido and was a great intro ti brands I wasn't too familiar with. You also get a swag bag (with samples and some drugstore makeup), the brand rep usually also gives you a bunch of samples, there are also door prizes (I won something both times) and they also have some other promotions running (ex. $20 off $100 or more purchases in cosmetics, or great GWP, or double stamp events). If you have one nearby they are definitely worth checking out!

I've not bought anything since this issue came up. I'm just kinda done with Sephora shopping until Sephora starts to add some incentives and will only limit my shopping to the store in the future. It just feels like Sephora just offers second rate service to Canadians and keeps dishing out a lower standard of service because Canadians continue to shop shop shop. I think with well over 30 stores in Canada, they should really have a cdn warehouse. I'm just kinda fed up with the considerably and sometimes ridiculously higher prices, 10 higher price limit for any promos, higher free shipping threshold, etc. and how they used to say it was the manufacturer who set the price, then it was duties and brokerage fees, now it's neither... and the prices are still higher.  I'm honestly just trying to shuffle my beauty routine to companies that sell directly (like Josie maran) or are available at Cdn stores like Shoppers or Winners or even buying from people on ebay. I've been a VIB for years and just find I don't always have stuff to buy at the time the 45 spend promos come out and remember the days where Cdns/US customers spent the same amount 25. For a couple of deluxe samples it's just not worth it. I'd rather shop elsewhere where like at Josie Maran right now I can get 20% off and free shipping if I spend 25 and forego a couple of samples I likely won't use.

Oh and I forgot about the not getting correct # of points and correct tax amount and having to get that corrected.  I'm impressed with deluxe samples at SDM right now...with benefit they're real mascara. I wonder if their 5 free samples for their anniversary is why Sephora has that on right now. Let's face it as much as Sephora makes out their US clients are more important they do have over 30 stores and must do alot of online business and its up to Cdns to send a message that we deserve to be treated similarly to US customers.

Oh and I forgot about the not getting correct # of points and correct tax amount and having to get that corrected.  I'm impressed with deluxe samples at SDM right now...with benefit they're real mascara. I wonder if their 5 free samples for their anniversary is why Sephora has that on right now. Let's face it as much as Sephora makes out their US clients are more important they do have over 30 stores and must do alot of online business and its up to Cdns to send a message that we deserve to be treated similarly to US customers.

I was going to add as a Vancouverite the eskincarestore.com which has a store down the street has alot of brands sephora does, with cheaper prices, and you can get 15% or 20% most of the time. They also regularly rotate sales so if you keep an eye you can find an item you regularly use. You also get points that you can use to discount your purchase price. I think they sell clarisonics too.

I notice that most of us have a "rouge" status which mean we buy a lot of stuff. Canadians = money for Sephora. You are all right we need to stand together and be heard. If we keep buying and are treated like crap then it will never change.

Another thing to think about... I have 2 bag full of blasted samples and promo junk I know I'm never going to use them. It's a sort of carrot & stick thing with me but the duty has calmed down my shopping addiction. The 5 sample thing left me cold I couldn't care less.

I haven't bought anything online since the duty came into effect either. I've bought little things here and there in store but no major purchases. It has certainly made me take a second look at all the options we have like SDM, The Bay, etc. Their GWPs and point systems (never really paid attention to Optimum pts before) are so much more satisfying than the foil samples and tiny point perks Sephora offers. I live and work near stores galore so Sephora is definitely not my only option. With Nordstrom & Saks coming, Sephora better step it up or they'll lose lots of customers.

The store is great for browsing and swatching but I don't feel the itch to shop at Sephora anymore (I guess that's a good thing for my wallet!). I'll probably still make some purchases when the promos like Chic Week and VIB sales come around but it will be more conservative purchases.

I ordered for the first time from Murale tonight.  I spent 240$ and got 40 000 optimum points because they're having a 20x points event,  plus free shipping,  plus 5 samples (some deluxe),  plus I got 2 big freebies,  one from strivectin and one from estee lauder.  That 40000 points is worth about 100$ for me since I only redeem when they're at 95k for 170$ plus 30k points back. 

Where is this 20X point event? Is it for Canadians too or just Americans?

20x the points events are something that Shoppers Drug Mart and Murale have.  They are both Canadian only companies.

It's for a Canadian store, called Shoppers Drug Mart, which is only for Canadians. Murale is by Shoppers Drug Mart so the point system qualifies there too.

The 20X event was just for that day,  if you check on Murale they will show when they have 20X events. 

a lot of their samples are deluxe, it's great! I love the It's Potent eye cream from benefit. I had to use 100pt perk to get it from sephora though.

I also have not ordered online since the duty was implemented. The thing is, until last November (when I started regularly going on BT) I had never end ordered online. Then I saw all these promos and samples we get from ordering online and I decided never to shop in store after that. It's not like I don't have any Sephoras near me. i have one about 10 minutes away from my home but some of the cast members there haved ruined my shopping experience there.

Since the extra duty I have made one purchase in store (old meteorites!!!) and that wasn't even my local Sephora. This other Sephora is a thousand more times friendlier and generous than my Sephora. I'm planning on shopping there for Chic week, but like the rest of you I'm also exploring other options.

I can't remember exactly when the duty charge was implemented but I've only made 2 small orders this year and I wasn't charged duty on either. Part of the reason I haven't placed any orders is because I'm a little annoyed that I spent $1000 to hit Rouge and the major perk of that for me was free shipping but now there's a new charge - duty. I foresee Shoppers and Murale getting the $1000 I would have normally spent at Sephora this year.

This is my concern. I'm about $200 away from Rouge, but since the duty charges, it almost doesn't seem worth it... when Shoppers/Murale carry 90% of the brands I buy anyways.

Sidenote: found out the SDM near my work carries UB, Stila, Dior and Guerlain! I'm beyond excited!

I just bought something tonight and I'm pissed!  Not only was I told the over charging in taxes was fixed which it isn't but I got charged more on duty. When you are checking out it gives you an amount duty.... well the actual amount I paid was like double than what it showed at checked. WTF?  I'll stop my post here since what I have to say would get deleted.

Have you contacted Sephora? Did they offer a solution?

I've put together a few different shopping carts over the last few days, trying to decide the few things I wanted to use the 15% code on and every time I clicked check out, the calculated tax was wrong. Ugh. 

No I decided not to call them.  I'd get this load of BS I usually get and well the CS isn't so good. Once I get it, it's going back and I want a full refund! I don't like being played.  It might only be a few dollars but it's the principle and this pisses me off!

Oh no! That's horrible! The final amount they show for duty on a purchase should not increase blindly when you go to pay. 

Well, duty in general sucks, but being charged more than you expected is redonkulous.

FYI: "Any Canadian order under C$20 will not incur duties."

5 Replies
Conversation Stats