Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Customer Support

Any Canadians out there?

If so how do you feel about this duty we are being charged? Anyone still buying? Do we have any options?

Re: Any Canadians out there?

I just PMed a mod about this situation (overcharged tax and additional duty), the mod recommends me to purchase products in store. I also notice some products are cheaper in store too, Givenchy le rouge retails at $36 at my local store and $38 online. A perfume ( I don't recall the brand) is $100 in store and $115 online.

Have to say it is a "clever"way to draw all Canadian customers to the store or not shop at Sephora at all.

I get a bit annoyed about the whole "oh, you should just buy in store" thing for two reasons:
1) My local Sephora isn't very big, so they don't have a huge variety of brands. I can't get FAB, YSL, Bobbi Brown, and others. The next store is an hour's drive, or twice that plus some on the bus (and the bus costs me nearly $30 return). My only way to access many of these brands is shopping online.

2) Sephora doesn't have an order in-store option/store transfer system like many brands do. If I could just get what I wanted sent from a different location, I'd be happy to do that.

It hardly seems worth it to pay duties, have to contact a mod to adjust my points, and wait for things to arrive, although the online promos etc. are pretty tempting sometimes! I still shop in-store faithfully. I've rarely had a bad experience at any store, and I love being able to wander in, wander around, test stuff out and get a (fairly) unbiased opinion on a variety of brands unlike at department store counters.

I have avoided shopping at Sephora all together and have been looking into other options like Shopper's Drug Mart, the Bay and local boutiques. I get treated way better, get lots of samples and GWP, and the rewards programs/ discounts are much better. 

Me too! After looking around at the Canadian options, I can't believe I've been chasing one stupid delux sample per order with 35$ purchase, or 100 pt perk. We have seen what $100 gets us, now I'm spoiled. No little promo from sephora will satisfy me now.

If you order through online, Borderfree is the one fulling Canadian orders for Sephora and calculating fees. Borderfree has their own website with information on what they are and what they do.

It doesn't say anywhere that Borderfree are the ones actually calculating the duty. 

That's what Borderfree, as a company does, it's why Sephora hired them. 

On Boarderfree's website:

Logistics: "Borderfree handles all international customs clearance, product classification, third party screening, parcel fulfillment, and returns. When you turn the lights on in more than 100 countries and territories, that’s two billion prospective customers that will want to know where their packages are. They have access to package tracking from the moment the parcel leaves our warehouse." 

I stand corrected. I asked Sephora and was told "The Canadian duties are calculated by our border facility Borderfree."

Maybe so BUT I was told that the price @ check out will never go up. I think I still have the email. if the price changes I would definitely contact Sephora and then ask for a refund.

don't get me started. the taxes  we are being charged aren't even being calculated properly, so I have no faith in their duties calculations. I've purchased sparingly, if at all since the implementation of duties.

I haven't ordered anything for 2 weeks 

how much are we getting charged for duty? 

I haven't bought anything since the additional duty. I am lucky to live near two Sephora stores, but I preferred shopping online since you are guaranteed the 3 samples, and I don't have time to really venture out to do any physical shopping.

However, I do have to say that I am glad that this additional duty charged occurred, because now I know about all the other alternatives that people have mentioned here: SDM, Murale, department stores - all of these have better perks and GWP.

So many thanks to the ladies here for sharing your shopping alternatives here in Canada! It is much appreciated! Smiley Happy

Hey guys.  So when i have been checking it out it doesn't seem to be putting the duty payment on to my shopping cart.. Is it adding it after you process your payment?

Not all items have an applicable duty, but you should check if it is registering your ship to address because for the first while I thought I wasn't being charged any duty and it wasn't automatically pulling up my address info, and once I selected my address, the duties came up.

Oh ok. Thanks a lot.

Woah they found a way to get their money back from the Rouge free shipping. It started with taxes, now it's duties. I wonder why it applies only on some items, from the same brand.

i assumed it depended on where things were being manufactured. In theory, if its manufactured in North America it should duty-free, but it's kind of tricky since sometimes the packaging is manufactured in China while the cosmetics are not and then it's really no way of determining if the duties are correct.

But I agree, I think this is a way of getting Canadians to shop in store than shop online.

It would appear that the duty charge is 5% give or take. Like the taxes it seems to be, how shall we say, a bit capricious in how it's calculated. There's no clear answers or transparency on Sephora's part so I'm becoming increasingly tired of it. The Bay, Shoppers, Holt Renfrew and so on - there are so many choices out there and I've just been a bit lazy (I live near large shopping areas which may not be true for everyone.) I ordered from the Bay online recently which I had never thought of and it was a great experience. This is also resulting in trying brands like Chanel that aren't carried at Sephora too.

Much like Beauty Talk, online Sephora shopping is losing it's sparkle and attractiveness for me.

I am quite impressed with the bay too! I have no problem getting any samples that I wanted to try. Also, not sure if you guys noticed, Sephora sells some products more expensive than other stores. All illamasqua products are at least 20% cheaper at the Bay. I bought an Armani eyeliner at the Bay for $29 and sephora sells it for $36. Now I am only going to Sephora for some Sephora-exclusive brand.

and soon Nordstrom will also be coming Smiley Happy

4 Replies
Conversation Stats