cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Curls & Coils
|
Anonymous Insider

straightening for beginners

I have thick curly hair and I want to change it up by straightening it. I've tried it before but it ends up frizzy at the bottom, any advice on that? Also what are good products/tips when I straighten it.

RE: straightening for beginners

Before you go on the journey make sure you invest in a good flat iron and good heat protectant. I straightened my hair for about 15 years. Plan on deep conditioning a few times a week as well.

I strongly recommend investing in a good hair oil. I have...

I strongly recommend investing in a good hair oil. I have been using a Korean brand called Brittish M. Their Annatto hair oil is fantastic. I like it better than Moroccan Oil. I have long curly hair and heavy oils don't do well. The price point is similar to Moroccan Oil. I buy mine from SokoGlam. Also, be sure to get the correct tools. A hair dryer and flat iron that get to the appropriate temperature for your hair type is important so that you're not over processing your hair. Lastly, if you live in a humid climate get a good antihumectant. I use Living Proof.

Re: straightening for beginners

We definitely recommend using a heat protectant throughout the process. As our curly girls know dryness is a major concern and heat styling can add to this. Try adding your favorite hydrating leave-ins or oils first (focusing on the ends) and then layering on a heat protectant to lock it all in. Frizz is often caused by lack of moisture, so this is a great way to keep the cuticle sealed and hair hydrated :). 

I have coily hair. straightening is not an easy task. I n...

I have thick, fine stranded, coily hair. Straightening is not an easytask. I never loosen my curls to straighten. It's all about technique.If need be, use Cantu's coil calm available at Wal-Mart or family dollar for less than $5. With our coily/curly hair brings many opportunities for breakage with eachturn. The key is to protect the strands and to have a great blow dry. As a first time curly straightener I suggest starting small and cheap. You must deep condition (hair mask) and make sure that strands are properly hydrated and the scalp is properly cleansed. Blow dry and straighten in sections (4-6). After putting in sections, apply a leave-in conditioner (I use Carol's daughter sacred tiare spray) and a heat protectant (I used tresseme heat tamer and Kenra blow dry spray). Use a detangling brush or blow dryer comb attachment and perform the chase method. Once whole head is blow dried, apply a heat protectant all over focusing on the ends, use the detangling brush and perform the chase method with a flat iron (1-3 passes). Apply a serum, oil, or finishing spray when done straightening. Once you have gotten the hang of properly straightening curly hair and preventing frizz then splurging on expensive products will be a reward.

Re: I have coily hair. straightening is not an easy task. I n...

@Candi22 Great tips! I wish I had the energy to straighten my hair. I'm always worn out halfway through!

😆 Me too lol. It does take some getting used to.

😆 Me too lol. It does take some getting used to.

Hi @Gpuff, when your hair is damp you can start with a pr...

Hi @Anonymous, when your hair is damp you can start with a product that will help temporarily loosen the curl - making it easier to blow dry. I like Moroccanoil Smoothing Lotion.
2 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 Hearts Given
  • 7 Contributors
Photos4
testing