Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Curls & Coils
|

straight top layer

My hair is naturally 2B and sometimes even 2C, except for the top layer, which is 2A-straight. I love my waves, but hate how they never get seen because of the much straighter top layer. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on what to do to make the top layer as wavy as the rest. Also, although this is not my main concern, sometimes my bottom layer waves just turn into frizz if I brush them dry, so should I only brush them when they're damp, or only when they're wet, or use a specific hair product and continue to brush them dry, etc.?

Re: straight top layer

Do you maybe flat iron your hair? It could be all your hair is curly, but the top layer has lost the curl due to excessive heat. Even if it doesn't look damaged, it still could be heat damaged.

I recommend you stop using hot styling tools, wash your hair with sulfate and silicone free shampoo only and try "plopping" your hair when it is wet. Don't dry your hair with towels (only use cotton shirts or microfiber towels). Also, use curl cremes and styling products that are silicone free too. Don't brush your hair ever again and instead buy a wide tooth comb and comb it only when wet. After a while you should see the moisture return to your hair which will in turn reduce frizz and bring back your curl to your top layer. Remember to get regular trims and to just avoid using heat in your hair during your transition period.

hope that helps!

@Smescobar What curl cremes and styling products do you recommend?

I would start with Shea Moisturizer products (shampoo, conditioner, masks, styling products) or Maui moisture too. They’re affordable and silicone/sulfate free. 

A higher end alternative is anything from the Deva Curl line offered in Sephora. 

These are good safe products to start transitioning your hair.

thank you!!

thank you!!
4 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 4 Hearts Given
  • 3 Contributors
testing