Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Curls & Coils
|

What products do you recommend for 3b/3c hair?

What hair routines work best and what products do you use for your routine?

RE: What products do you recommend for 3b/3c hair?

I switch shampoos, conditioners, masks and leave-in conditioners often, but if there is one styling product I am loyal to it is Paul Mitchell’s Twirl Around. It is a gel/cream combo, and helps hold the shape of my curls for 3 days, without build up and weighting down my hair (I have very fine hair) while adding shine. I also like the smell. Another favorite for days when I want extra volume is Wella’s EIMI Extra Volume mousse: I squeeze excess water from my washed hair, scrunch it with the mousse ( head flipped down), remove excess moisture with a microfiber towel and then finish with Twirl around for extra hold. Deva Curl is a favorite of many people, but I cannot stand the smell of dish detergent that some of their products have.

Re: What products do you recommend for 3b/3c hair?

I really like DevaCurl's Styling Cream (the SuperCream usually yields greasy results for my fine hair) but I tried rahua's curl cream and I like it - the ingredients are great for those following the CG method and it's all natural. I try to avoid silicones in all my styling products as they can weigh down my hair and be difficult to remove without a shampoo that totally strips my hair. I all use Bumble & bumble's anti-humidity gelee oil which I love bc it's mostly emulsified oil that hardly leaves buildup, the main thing with hair gel is to only apply when your hair is pretty wet and apply in a scrunching or raking type motion so it is spread evenly. 

As far as routines go, how often you wash your hair depends on your hair and lifestyle specifically though it's almost a universal thing that there's no need to wash daily. Personally I wash with a conventional shampoo once per week (without any sulfates, I use Living Proof's Restore Shampoo or this organic brand that's not at Sephora) and I co-wash the second time that week (a co-wash is when you use a cleansing conditioner to wash your hair instead of a shampoo). I'm not really attached to any particular conditioner but that's an important step bc curly hair gets dry easily and needs moisture. I've gotten good results from Living Proof's No Frizz conditioner. Additionally, it's important to deep condition at least once a week for curly hair for the reason mentioned above - dryness. I use the Matcha hair masque by DevaCurl (that stuff smells SO good). It's best to leave it on long as you can and put on a plastic cap while it's in so it can use your body heat to penetrate the hair shaft better. You should always moisturize before styling/drying and with curly hair I also prefer air drying which always works for me as I only shower at night. But if you do use a hair dryer then a diffuser & patience is necessary to maintain curl definition. Style after washing when its wet. I apply a leave-in first, then scrunch in curl cream, finish with gel or smooth oil on my hair (I use the Living proof no-frizz oil), and then dry. To air dry best, use a t-shirt, the Aquis towel, or a microfibre towel to dry your hair instead of a traditional terrycloth towel as that can roughen the hair cuticle and make your hair frizz. Use a satin or silk pillowcase to sleep on bc cotton pillowcases can make your hair dry and break off. Sounds silly but your hair just glides over silk/satin so much easier. Also try finding a good curly hair stylist in your area for regular trims or learn to do it yourself. Good luck 🙂 

Re: What products do you recommend for 3b/3c hair?

I second the DivaCurl products. I use NoPoo and One Comdition as well as the Supercream Coconut Styling Cream (at least I think that’s what it’s called. I’m not in my bathroom.) and Set It Free moisturizing finishing spray

I love the deva curl no poo shampoo and one condition, I also do a deep condition weekly with either deva curl melt into moisture or briogeo’s don’t despair, repair mask! I love styling my hair with bumble and bumble curl primer and curl Creme.

Omg your hair is gorgeous!!!
Conversation Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 11 Hearts Given
  • 5 Contributors
Photos1
testing