Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Curls & Coils
Anonymous Insider

What are you're go to hair products?

My hair is constantly dry and brittle🙄 like give me a break!!! Do you guys have any suggestions of things I could do to bring life into my hair? Thanks❤️

Re: What are you're go to hair products?

I'm blond and am a competitive swimmer so I completely understand the struggle of hair breakage. Olaplex does wonders to strengthen my hair, although I don't believe it is sold at Sephora. I strongly recommend the Olaplex take home treatment, as it is the only thing that has kept all my hair from breaking off.

@AnonymousMy hair was getting drier (also in an arid environment), using once a week Redken bonder - used on wet hair before shampoo. (Had a 2-part hydrating treatment done at the salon first though.) Also Gliss leave-in conditioner, ulta moisturizer. Both are helping.

I use Cantu, it's a pretty cheap Leave-in Conditioner tha...

I use Cantu, it's a pretty cheap Leave-in Conditioner that does wonders for my hair. Not only does it work soo good but people always tell me my hair smells good after using it. You can get it online or at Walmart or Target. Hope this helps 🙂

@Anonymous I agree that DevaCurl is a great place to start.  I read Lorraine Massey's book "Curly Girl" and found it helpful.

I recommend a moisturizing shampoo to start.  A lot of girls prefer sulfate-free, but that didn't work for me so I use John Frienda Beyond Smooth with Pure Coconut Oil.

Conditioners: I used DevaCurl One Conditioner for quite some time.  I am currently loving Biolage Hydrasource Conditioning Balm.  Others I used that are popular are Phytojoboa and Neutrogena Triple Moisture (the one is the tub).

Hair masks: All my favorites have been discontinued, so I'm no help there but I do rec using them.

Hair oils: My favorite is Matrix Oil Wonders.  I also like Alterna Kendi Oil (I have it in the liquid and dry oil).  Josie Maran Argan Oil is also popular.  You can use hair oils as treatments, with your conditioner, as a styling product on wet hair, or on dry hair (my favorite way).

Styling: I personally prefer silicone serums for my hair; my favorite is Paul Mitchell Super Skinny Serum.  I also use Phytodefrisant (silicone-free).

To keep hair healthy, I also recommend washing hair as infrequently as possible b/c water and heat styling are damaging.  I like dry shampoo to get me in between washings.  I like Alterna and Klorane (the non-aerosol) kind.

Many girls like It's a Ten Miracle Leave-In Product.

Good luck!

I'd recommend looking in to the curly girl method! It's a specific way of caring for curly hair created by the founder of DevaCurl. The basics are: 1) use products that don't contain sulfates (they dry out your hair) or silicones (they also dry out your hair and weigh it down), 2) don't shampoo every day, instead use conditioner to scrub your scalp, 3) only comb your hair when it's wet and saturated with conditioner, 4) use gel to style and hold curls, 5) use a microfiber towel or cotton t-shirt to dry (terry cloth towels cause frizz), 6) air dry or use a diffuser attachment on your hair dryer), and 7) don't touch it while it's drying! 

DevaCurl products are awesome, and I'd definitely recommend checking out a starter kit! However, you can easily use the curly girl method while on a budget. Shea Moisture's products are all curly girl friendly! 

Here's a great overview: https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/no-poo/the-curly-girl-method-for-coily-hair/

@Anonymous i've been using devacurl's 'heaven in hair' conditioning treatment for the past month and it's been a real game changer for me ! (i use it along with the rest of my devacurl products).

how i  typically use it is after 'shampooing' (i use devacurl no-poo), i put in a very generous amount, get out of the shower and put on a shower cap. i let it soak in for anywhere from 20 min to a couple hours. i rinse out and then use my regular conditioner afterward (devacurl one condition--which i rinse out and use as a leave in too), as well as the rest of my styling products. devacurl super cream, be-leave'in as well as the ultra defining gel. yes, it's a lot. and it's been so worth it !

the combination of these has drastically changed my hair ! but the real change began with my regular use of the heaven in hair treatment. it just gave me that next level hair. it keeps my hair so incredibly hydrated looking, i didn't know it was possible. i will say that i don't find it is a great detangler, but don't let that deter you. 

devacurl has recently released a couple new hair masks as well--but i can't speak for them as i've never tried them. but they're probably worth looking into as well, depending on your curl type !

Anonymous Insider

RE: Re: What are you're go to hair products?

THANK YOU SOOO MUCH!!! I will definitely try those products out and hopefully it works for me☺️ Fingers crossed😊💖 I appreciate your suggestions hopefully I have a good experience.

Re: RE: Re: What are you're go to hair products?

@Anonymous welcome ! please come back here if you have any problems / questions. obviously this all *can* take a bit of trial and error to figure out what your hair likes best.

good news is a lot of devacurl products i mentioned here come in $10 travel sizes, which is a great way to try stuff out !

another tip to get the best out of your hair / retain moisture: don't towel dry your hair. and put all the products into soaking wet hair. 

come back and let me know how it goes ! 🙂

Conversation Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 12 Hearts Given
  • 7 Contributors
testing