Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Curls & Coils
|

Trying to get my curls back!

Hey so I messed up my curl pattern by continuously brushing my hair when it wS dry all through high school and then bleaching it... anyone have any tips on how to get my curls back!? This is my hair now.. it’s mostly wavy/messy curly.

RE: Trying to get my curls back!

The products everyone listed will definitely help the problem but it won’t completely solve it my hair only fully bounced back after I cut out all of the dry damaged bits. I’d recommend getting a small trim if there’s any split ends and cutting out the rest of the damage over time unless you’re comfortable doing a big chop

Re: Trying to get my curls back!

Anonymous Insider

Like many others have stated there are many products that are specific for curls including, but not exclusively, devacurl, shea moisture, even suave essentials. There is a book called the curly girl handbook and, if you are on Facebook, there are many pages for curly girls that talk about the method. I love how curls are finally being loved and nourished.

Hydration is key! I straightened my hair with a flat iron from middle school up through college. Only in the last two years or so have I cut that out of my routine and gone back to my natural hair. After a month or two of using Devacurl (LowPoo, One Condition, and ArcAngel) my hair regained its shape. It takes some work and tlc to bring it back but it is definitely possible! I recently bleached it in order to dye it blue and some of the things my Deva stylist listed as being very important was hydration, holding products, and nutritional products. I’m using B’leavin on days I don’t condition and that helps give curls even when the bleached hair wants to be lanky/wavy. I also use Deep Sea Moisture every week and a half or so, One Condition, Set it Free — helps hold the shape of the curl but not too heavy. Supercream might help you bounce back but I find it’s too heavy for frequent use for my hair type. If Devacurl isn’t your style or isn’t something that’s budget friendly for a test run, any shampoo or conditioner without chemicals in it will help. Shampoo strips your curls of moisture so unless it’s a kind of organic cleanser and being followed right away with a nutritious conditioner then it’s probably doing more harm than good.

Do some research into the Curly Girl Method. Hydration is your new best friend and learning techniques to achieve it is important, no product alone is going to give you optimum hydration it’s all about application and technique. It’s takes some research, patience and learning about your hair but it’s SO worth it. I’m a month in to the process and couldn’t be happier going all natural with my curls that I hated for so long. Good luck!

deva curl or shea moisture! you won't regret it.

I highly recommend deva curl products, they have a big collection now but I’d definitely go with their original shampoo (no-poo) and conditionner (one-condition) for a start. I’ve been using these products for about 7 years now and they made a a huge difference In my natural hair journey! Along with all the tips mentioned here, I would suggest to drink lots of water, decreasing the frequency of hair wash and introducing the co-washing (washing with conditionner only). It definitely takes some patience and lots of love but it’s really worth it!

@DomiM Scrunch products in wet hair. Pin up, braid etc until fully dry to get definition. You may also need protein. Don't comb, try not to disrupt the pattern, even when washing. Microfiber towel instead of cotton, also can plop with it. Take hair to towel/shirt to plop, I've found better definition. 

Reddit r/curlyhair has tons of info. Also order of products can matter - LOC or LCO methods. 

Is your dry, thick or thin?

RE: Re: Trying to get my curls back!

Hi thank you! My hair is definitely thinner and it’s like 2C/3A type wavy/curly
Anonymous Insider

Maybe a thin leave in conditioner and a light or medium hold gel. make sure to comb the gel all throughout the hair while its wet. a deep conditioner may help also.I love your hair by the way. I hope that helps.
Conversation Stats
  • 10 replies
  • 18 Hearts Given
  • 10 Contributors
Photos1
testing