Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Curls & Coils
|

Tightly Curly/Coily Hair: Tips, Tricks, & More

Figured I would start a thread for those with more tightly curled hair.  For those familiar with the hair typing system I'm thinking 3c to 4z specifically (though all curls are more than welcome)!

Please share any questions, tips/tricks, hair routines, hair styles (including protective styles)/hair-spiration, and of course personal photos!

To start I'll share some of my hair-spiration:

Spoiler
Naptural85Naptural85Naptural85Naptural85FusionofCulturesFusionofCulturesFusionofCulturesFusionofCulturesBeautybyleeBeautybyleeBeautybyleeBeautybyleeCharyJayCharyJay

Re: Tightly Curly/Coily Hair: Tips, Tricks, & More

Looks like Sephora has added some new curly hair care products to the site......

Bump!

really??!!!

really??!!!

Great thread @ElleElleG! I did the big chop about a year ago so I've spent a ton of time researching and trying different things. What do you use? 

Thanks @mrsbaine !  I rotate products depending on how my hair/scap is behaving.  

For cleansing I alternate between an ACV rinse, the DevaCurl Buildup Buster, and the SheaMoisture Jamaican Black Castor Oil Shampoo.  Occasionally I use a clarifying shampoo (something cheap like VO5) to get rid of any buildup or if I previously used products with ingredients that aren't water soluble.  

I love deep conditioning with the Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew.  Recently I started using the DevaCurl Heaven in Hair which has been great with adding much needed moisture back into my hair.  If I'm being lazy and/or if I am low on time I will condition with Camille Rose Moroccan Pear Conditioner, Shea Moisture Manuka Honey, or one of the Not Your Mother's conditioners.

I use the Kinky Curly Knot Today or the Curls Bliss Blueberry as Leave-ins, the Camille Rose Almond Jai Twisting Butter to moisturize, and Curls Blueberry Bliss Control Paste or EcoStyler Gel to set.  Oh and I incorporate coconut or jojoba oil after my hair has dried to reduce frizz/add some shine.

I swear I'm not a product junkie 😉.  How did you feel about doing the big chop and about where your hair is now?

mrsbaine wrote:

One thing I see with us naturals are our extensive routines! 

I miss my my long hair but I love my curls. My hair was mid back at the longest and on big chop day it was a mid length bob. I haven't done any protective styling because I had to get used to seeing myself with curly hair and not fall back to straight hair. My hair is very curlie and crazy thick so I'm spending much more time styling it then when I was straightening. What I appreciate is that my hair seems healthy. I have very minimal breakage, even after detangling. I found a routine and products that work and (unlike makeup) I'm sticking to it! 

Oh nice @mrsbaine !  There are some days that I look back & wish I'd done the big chop just so I could experience my hair at shorter lengths but I don't have the itch for it now. Styling is the most time consuming which can be frustrating when in a rush but it's good to hear that you were able to find what worked for you so quickly!  

I agree routines can be a bit excessive (not sure if you watch natural hair videos on YouTube but at one point people had 10-20 steps on wash day & took HOURS 😳).  I managed to find what worked well for me for a couple years but several items have since been discontinued or ingredients have changed.  The natural hair market has also exploded since I first transitioned.  I've reached the point now where I'm less strict about my hair (outside of being a bit of an ingredient snob) and more open to rotating things in and out.

One thing I see with us naturals are our extensive routines! 

I miss my my long hair but I love my curls. My hair was mid back at the longest and on big chop day it was a mid length bob. I haven't done any protective styling because I had to get used to seeing myself with curly hair and not fall back to straight hair. My hair is very curlie and crazy thick so I'm spending much more time styling it then when I was straightening. What I appreciate is that my hair seems healthy. I have very minimal breakage, even after detangling. I found a routine and products that work and (unlike makeup) I'm sticking to it! 

@ElleElleG I'd love to know more about the hair typing system... 🙂

Sure thing @greeneyedgirl107 ! The system I referred to in the OP was developed by Andre Walker who was (not sure if he still is) Oprah's hairstylist.  In the 8+ years that I really started to learn more about my hair/hair in general this is the system that I have heard people respond to most often.  

Andre Walker's Hair TypingAndre Walker's Hair Typing

Andre Walker's Hair Typing SystemAndre Walker's Hair Typing System

While this system seems to be the most recognized (in my experience) a lot of people take issue with for 2 particular reasons: [1] it seems to infer that a person can only have 1 hair type and [2] there were people who found that the system didn't go far enough and overtime his original system was expanded.

Hair TypesHair Types

Another hair typing system that seems to be pretty well known, particularly for those who follow the DevaCurl Method, is the DevaCurl System.  

DevaCurl SystemDevaCurl System

There are likely other systems out there, these are just the ones that I am most familiar with. Generally speaking I use these systems as reference points, and very rarely.  For a while there was (and perhaps there still is?) a myth that having a particular hair type meant you couldn't use the products "designed for" another hair type and/or that certain hair types had to be styled/managed in the same way.

Spoiler
Sorry for blabbing 😊

I'm glad it helped @greeneyedgirl107!  I kind of geeked out a bit, lol

@ElleElleG This was super-duper helpful!  Thanks so much for taking the time to post such a detailed response!!!  I wish I could give you a million hearts!

Related image

Conversation Stats
  • 10 replies
  • 39 Hearts Given
  • 4 Contributors
Photos11
  • Naptural85
  • Naptural85
  • FusionofCultures
  • FusionofCultures
  • Beautybylee
  • Beautybylee