Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Curls & Coils

Share Your Wash Day Routine

DevaCurl_Community-WDW_post.jpg

Every curly girl has a story to tell and many of those stories have to do with “WASH DAY” (cue the scary music)

We want to hear from you! Tell us about your wash day…your routine, favorite products, hair concerns, tips, tricks and techniques. Whatever you want to discuss, we are here for it…what shapes your wash day experience?

Re: Share Your Wash Day Routine

My hair is short, so wash day isn’t a big thing for me. I use No Poo Decadence and One Condition Decadence once a week, but I wet my hair every day. I had been using the super cream styler, but since have discovered the ultra defining gel makes my hair look better. I’ll use the rest of the cream styler, but I think the gel will be what I’ll use from now on. 

Hello @devacurl! We've missed you!

So it must be wash day everywhere! I just did mine in the shower. My hair is curly, but fine, and I have a fair amount of it. I have to wash every three days (occasionally I can squeak out a fourth), not because my hair is particularly dirty, but because my scalp feels awful!

My routine is a mix of Low and No-Poo. No-Poo seems to leave it flat and Low-Poo doesn't seem hydrating enough. I'm using the One Condition too as well. Every now and again I'll use the Melt into Moisture or Heaven in Hair. After the shampoo/condition thing I use B'Leave-In and follow with the Ultra Defining Gel. I find with my hair, it's best not to use too many products otherwise it gets weighed down.

I do a scrunch with my Deva Towel and clip up a LOT at the crown and top of my head with my Deva Clips and try to let it air dry as much as I can, but I usually end up hitting it with my hairdryer and the "big green hand." Touch up during the week is spraying with a mixture of water, lavender oil and glycerin (I used to add One Condition to it but it made my hair heavy) and then glaze with a little gel or Wave Maker and then fluff when dry. Third or fourth day hair is up in a scrunchy which looks kind of cute as it gives me a bunch of curls on top of my head.

So, two things. Thing One: How to I get those big swath-like curls that my stylist manages to get? Every now and then it happens for me, but I normally get smaller pieces of curls. I know she's coaxing them in the back of my head because I can feel her winding them around her fingers, but is that the only way?

Thing Two: The scalp issue. Since most curly girls don't shampoo frequently the itchy scalp gets to be a problem. I know you guys have Build Up Buster, but product build up isn't necessarily the issue. Any plans to perhaps come up with a scrub? (insert pleading puppy eyes here)

I don't hate wash day, but it does take way more time than the off days to get ready. Probably an extra 20 minutes in the shower. And air drying time is at least an hour and a half before I need to get out the dryer and get on my way.

You've missed us? Aww, so sweet ❤️ Your routine sounds good with a mix of No-Poo and Low-Poo. Would you consider Styling Cream + Light Defining Gel instead of the B'Leave-In and gel? The creamy styler will give you different results, and you may like them better. It's a little more moisture and may help on your Low-Poo days. Thing one: yes you can encourage your curl shape by shaping it around your finger in the beginning. Curls have memory so eventually they'll get the hang of it. Another way is finding the right product mix (perhaps the Low-Poo, OC, Styling Cream, Light Defining Gel will be your go-to) and also doing this routine more often throughout the week to get your curls acclimated. Thing two: see thing one. Fully cleansing/conditioning/styling more frequently and thoroughly removing all the Low-Poo could be the thing your scalp is looking for. Try it and see. And we'll make a note of your product suggestion to our team, for sure. 

@devacurl Thank you for returning to BIC. I learned a lot from your brand last year.

I will be performing my wash day routine within the next hour. These are the products I will be using today. 

I am starting with the Wash Day Wonder followed by No Poo (2 applications)

Then I plan on deep conditioning with either Melt Into Moisture or Heaven in Hair for at least 20 minutes in a heat cap (this will be a last minute decision)

After I rinse it out I will apply One Condition from midshaft to my ends and rinse it lightly (I need to hear the woozy sound, my Devacurl stylist gave me this tip)

I will blog my hair dry with my Devacurl towel before applying finishing products 

First I will apply the Frizz Free Foam to the roots for volume

Then I will apply Wavemaker scrunching in the curl pattern followed by Ultra Styling Gel for hold

I also my add a few Devacurl clips for lift in bang area for lift. I will leave the clips in about an hour.

Now the hard part just let my hair dry naturally which takes anywhere between 4 - 8 hours depending on the weather. I only touch my hair to feel if it has dried so I could massage the roots and lightly scrunch my hair to style it. 

I have thick wavy/swavy hair and I only need to wash it once a week. When Devacurl started selling their products at Sephora an awesome set was offered as a deluxe sample set which totally changed the way I care for my hair. Within 3 months of trying your products I basically became a Devacurl devotee. There has been a learning curve but it has been worth it for my best hair ever.

Oh wow, so happy you participated last year, and so happy you are back! Thanks for sharing your wash day routine with us! If you want to simplify just a tad, you can do just 1 application of No-Poo, and omit the One Condition after the deep conditioner. Since Melt Into Moisture or Heaven In Hair is so moisturizing, you won't need the extra conditioner. If you love your current routine, you can totally keep doing what you're doing. These are just suggestions 🙂 

@devacurl Do you have any new tips on minimizing frizz? I am out of B’Leave-In. I notice when I try to contain the frizz my hair looks flatter.

Hi Loretta, yes, we suggest Wave Maker followed by Ultra Defining Gel, both applied in soaking wet hair in the shower. The soaking wet application is key as is the gel to controlling frizz. Alternately, you can get your hair totally wet with Delight Low-Poo and One Condition more frequently throughout the week to get your hair more hydrated. They more hydration, the less frizz. And every time you use your cleanser & conditioner, always finish with these stylers. 

@devacurl I tried the Delight Low Poo and the Delight One Condition but I feel my hair looks better whenever I use the original products. I find it easier to wash my hair when I am off from work. 

My Devacurl stylist feels that because I wash my hair only once a week that could be the problem. Frizz starts to occur at about the forth day. I noticed when I try to tame the frizz that my hair looks flatter.

@devacurl I have one request please bring back the travel size of the Flexible Hold Hairspray. The other products in the travel sizes are refillable. I have travel kit always packed just in case.

Okay, noted! And that's good that you are liking the Original. If you ever want to increase your frequency, it's a way to get your hair more hydrated. But if time is an issue, we totally understand ❤️

@devacurl SO glad you inserted "cue the scary music" b/c I hate when I have to wash my hair.  I have so many steps - wash, dry, flat iron with two different irons, etc.  Then the next morning I have to tame the flyaways.

Right? From start to finish, how long does wash day take you? And how often do you "engage" 🙂 ?

@devacurl Wash day is about 3 hours; I take breaks in between drying and flat ironing!  

Conversation Stats
  • 13 replies
  • 41 Hearts Given
  • 5 Contributors
Photos1
  • DevaCurl_Community-WDW_post.jpg
testing