Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Curls & Coils
|

Shampoo for Curly Hair and Dandruff

hi! currently, i use a dandruff shampoo and conditioner, and have been for quite awhile. I always suffered with pretty bad dandruff, and put my curls second. It was more embarrassing for me to have piles of snow on my head, rather than unhealthy curls. Does anyone have good recommendations for good shampoos for both dandruff and curly hair? thank you so much! and sorry if this was already on another thread. i'll delete if so. thank you again!

Re: Shampoo for Curly Hair and Dandruff

You could also try only shampooing your scalp and just rinsing the rest of your hair before conditioner. That way, your ends don't get as dry and brittle and your scalp can stay dandruff-free. (I second the head&shoulders rec)

RE: Shampoo for Curly Hair and Dandruff

@haleyxsavannah I second the devacurl line. Some products contain very harsh ingredients and strip your hair of the moisture it needs which can appear as dandruff because it's dry I had this problem but since I switched to more natural and sulfate free alternative never had a problem. I have long curly hair too and I have a few that work for me. I highly recommend devacurl but it can get pretty pricey others that have worked are pureology which is a vegan shampoo and alterna caviar shampoo which smells amazing. I don't know if that is helpful but I would say look for anything that is moisturizing and free of sulfates. Best of luck fellow curly haired friend 😊

Re: Shampoo for Curly Hair and Dandruff

Jason.jpg

Hi @hayleyxsavannah! I have curly hair & dandruff and this is my HG shampoo. It is a little bit hard to find, I get it either at health food stores, like Natural Grocers or Whole Foods, but it is now available at the natural section of one of the regular grocery stores in town. It doesn't lather very easily, so you have to work it into your scalp, then add a little water as you lather. It is not drying at all. Head & shoulders did not work for me, and neither did the prescription shampoos or other OTC shampoos. This is a sulfur based formula, which I have found to be the most effective for me after trying a Mexican shampoo with sulfur that was not available in the US. I think salicylic acid is the other active ingredient. There is another Jasons dandruff shampoo that is a 2-in-1, and has basically the same ingredients as Head and Shoulders, so be careful not to confuse the two, the look very similar, if you decide to try it. This is the only thing that works for me!

RE: Shampoo for Curly Hair and Dandruff

I've used the classic head & shoulders. But the eucalyptus one and my curls never got damaged!
4 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 4 Hearts Given
  • 5 Contributors
Photos1
  • Jason.jpg
testing