cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Curls & Coils
|

Ride the WAVE with me

Hey all,

My hair was a beautiful 3B my teen and college years. After issues with hormones and kids I have only wave left. It is frustrating not knowing how to style your hair anymore. My hair is now 2B, 2C would be an excellent day.

I plan to have a no-buy for makeup for one year (started Nov 2018) and focus on finding the right hair products. I want to take the process gradually and give things time.

I started using Devacurl in Spring 2018. I had low-poo, one condition, and arc angel gel. My hair looked and felt like straw and was not getting any curl back so I stopped using all three products.

In October I chopped off a lot of hair for donation and hoped to get some bounce back. The stylist (Deva certified) recommended no-poo, one condition, coconut styling cream, and b-leave in gel. The routine was okay but I wanted more out of my hair.

Over the past week I changed my styling product to arc angel gel. I know, I know, the stylist and others have already said it was too heavy for my hair. I just wanted to experiment and find what product caused my hair to turn to straw in the spring. Arc angel seems to be in the clear. But since it isn't helping with any curl, I will pass it on to my 3C/4A mom.

I plan to resume the last routine and see how it goes or if it still seems lackluster. My one condition is almost out but I have a one condition delight. I want to see how my hair reacts to this.

I also have samples of Decadence. I believe it will likely be too heavy but it is time to find what works and what doesn't.

So here begins my hair journey. Hoping to either learn to ride the waves or return to curl.

Re: Ride the WAVE with me

@Loretta55 - I have not tried Curl Smith.  Every time I look at the ingredients and look up the items on INCI Decoder, I'm just not impressed.  I think I "should" try something just because I have wavy/curly hair, yet nothing really appeals to me.  I doubt I'll try anything unless Sephora or Ulta has an outstanding sale.

Like you, I was really surprised to see Sephora carry this line with all the other great hair brands they sell.

My favorite hair oil is Verb Ghost Weightless Hair Oil 2 oz/ 60 mL .  I haven't tried the Josie Maren Moroccan Oil, so maybe I'll give that a try.  I have tried the Moroccanoil Moroccanoil Treatment Light Hair Oil 4.22 oz / 125 mL ; the smell is nauseating and the oil itself for being "light" is a bit heavy.  I just can't get past the smell! 😝

The Josie Maran Argan Oil has no scent @Titian06. it is very versatile.

@Loretta55  Thanks for the tag!  I tried one Curlsmith product, I think it was a leave-in conditioner, but it wasn't memorable enough for me to use again.

I did use Verb Purple Toning + Hydrating Hair Mask 6.3 oz/ 180 g and Verb Purple Shampoo 12 oz/ 355 mL this morning for the first time.  I know not everyone will want to use this, but I am impressed with how soft they left my hair.  I also used Briogeo detangling spray, and Verb Moringa + Jojoba Hair Treatment Oil 1 oz/ 30 mL , and I like the condition of my hair.

+1 this is my fav purple shampoo

@Ispend2much6 - I'm glad you like the purple shampoo and conditioner! 💜  I already know how much you love the Moringa and Jojoba Oil! ❤  Since I'm naturally blonde, I don't think a purple S&C will do much for me.  Thanks for your thoughts on Curlsmith.  The brand doesn't impress me, yet I feel like I should try something just because I have wavy/curly hair. 😂

@Titian06  It feels like an endless cycle, trying to find products that consistently work.  I think, for me, I just have to switch things around.  I love the Kiehl's Since 1851 Olive Fruit Oil Deeply Repairative Hair Pak 8.4 oz/ 250 mL , and use it regularly.  It helps my hair stay in pretty good shape, but it is heavy.  So, I use that with a clarifying shampoo and other things when I use a co-wash. 

Kerastase's Curl Manifesto line is really, really effective, but it does have a strong scent.  Wish it didn't.

The Verb purple shampoo just kind of dulled my highlights.  I don't think I'll use it again.

Thanks for the Keihls recommendation, @Ispend2much6 !  I've looked at that deep conditioner a few times, but have yet to try it.  I usually use a scrub or clarifying shampoo and deep conditioner once every week or two depending on how many products I've been using.  If I go longer than that, my scalp starts to itch. 😖

I have a recommendation for you @Titian06. I feel like my scalp is always itchy no matter what I try. I purchased SUNDAY II SUNDAY SOOTHE ME Daily Scalp Serum for Dry Scalp Relief 4 oz/ 120 mL . This is the first product that I have tried that actually calmed down the itchiness. At the beginning you need to use it nightly for 4 weeks but now I just use it a few times a week. I like this even more than Briogeo Scalp Revival Charcoal + Tea Tree Scalp Treatment Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL   The nozzle lets you get the product directly onto your scalp.

Thanks for the suggestion, @Loretta55 ! 😘  I added it to my Loves list.  I've been using The Ordinary Natural Moisturizing Factors + Hyaluronic Acid Scalp Serum 60ml , which has been the most helpful product to date.  However, I've only been using it since April, so I don't know what will happen this winter. 🤔

I got relief pretty quickly @Titian06 @using the Sunday 11 Sunday product. Hopefully the Ordinary product will work for you.

Thank you very much for your response @Ispend2much6. I am really surprised that Sephora has decided to carry this mediocre line of products. My hair is not brassy so toning products will not help my hair. My favorite hair oil is Josie Maran Argan Oil.

Forgot to page @lmaster 

I have not seen anyone post on this thread for awhile. During the pandemic my hair grew about 4 inches. I don’t remember the last time that my hair was that long. Anyway I was having trouble getting my hair to keep a curl long term. I consulted with my hair stylist and she told me that the weight of my hair is causing me to lose my curl. We spoke and decided to lose about 3 inches. Finally my hair is holding my curl. 
I must give a shout out to a new favorite hair product. I tried the new Verb Manes by Mell Curl Foaming Gel. I only used it once. I wear my hair in a ponytail at work because it is so humid. Three days after I washed my hair, I finally wore it down and only a couple of areas needed refreshing.

4D441687-E798-4312-AAB5-FE9668C3D915.jpeg

BD9C9103-82E5-4F5F-B9F0-005FCC8288E2.jpeg

Your hair looks fabulous @Loretta55! Hope you are doing well. 😀

Thank you very much @ShortErica. I am so happy that you are posting again. Hope that you and your family are doing well.

It's nice seeing all the familiar faces. I need to sign in every once in a while. Everything's good, just busy with work and school for the kids.

@Loretta55 your hair looks gorgeous!!

Thank you very much @curlychiquita.

@Loretta55 That length looks great on you! As always, I love the definition you're able to achieve. 

Thank you very much @tastelikewater. I am so glad that I found my hair stylist. She has never once given me a bad haircut or her hair advice has been spot on.

@Loretta55Your hair is beautiful!!!  My hair got really messed up during the pandemic.  I lost a whole layer, right at the front of my crown.  I basically had a receding hairline.  I had used Madison Reed color for years.  As soon as I stopped and got mine professionally done, the hair started growing back.

783 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos145
  • 20181120_111654.jpg
  • 20181120_111749.jpg
  • A "good" day: Delight s&c, WaveMaker, Amika gel.
  • 20181122_195439.jpg
  • 45953559-A911-4CE7-9251-2B7B2D50E504.jpeg
  • 0D5A6526-A320-4820-915E-661BEAD0D8F2.jpeg
  • 20181126_132138.jpg
  • 20181126_132142.jpg
  • 20181126_132131.jpg
  • 20181126_132118.jpg
  • 3F1ACBDD-5905-4DED-88A5-28E354193400.jpeg
  • 5DE4FB2F-050E-4AB3-BCC6-F341FDBE9873.jpeg
  • 10698395_10153310875226111_5504507754087887955_n.jpg
testing