cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Curls & Coils
|

Ride the WAVE with me

Hey all,

My hair was a beautiful 3B my teen and college years. After issues with hormones and kids I have only wave left. It is frustrating not knowing how to style your hair anymore. My hair is now 2B, 2C would be an excellent day.

I plan to have a no-buy for makeup for one year (started Nov 2018) and focus on finding the right hair products. I want to take the process gradually and give things time.

I started using Devacurl in Spring 2018. I had low-poo, one condition, and arc angel gel. My hair looked and felt like straw and was not getting any curl back so I stopped using all three products.

In October I chopped off a lot of hair for donation and hoped to get some bounce back. The stylist (Deva certified) recommended no-poo, one condition, coconut styling cream, and b-leave in gel. The routine was okay but I wanted more out of my hair.

Over the past week I changed my styling product to arc angel gel. I know, I know, the stylist and others have already said it was too heavy for my hair. I just wanted to experiment and find what product caused my hair to turn to straw in the spring. Arc angel seems to be in the clear. But since it isn't helping with any curl, I will pass it on to my 3C/4A mom.

I plan to resume the last routine and see how it goes or if it still seems lackluster. My one condition is almost out but I have a one condition delight. I want to see how my hair reacts to this.

I also have samples of Decadence. I believe it will likely be too heavy but it is time to find what works and what doesn't.

So here begins my hair journey. Hoping to either learn to ride the waves or return to curl.

Re: Ride the WAVE with me

Have any of you tried the Color WOW curl line? I'm once again in the market for a new shampoo and conditioner, and according to the "Is It CG?" site the ingredients list is fine. 

I have the #COLOR WOW Curl Wow SNAG-FREE Pre-Shampoo Detangler 10 oz / 295 mL in my cart @tastelikewater . My hair gets extremely tangled especially the bottom layer. I am holding off pulling the trigger on my cart because I am afraid that I will use my code and I will find something that I really want.

I loved my old stylist as a person, but never felt that she truly understood my hair. She styled me (fine, wavy-curly combo, thick) the way she styles herself (fine, wavy, thin), which was ok but left me wanting more. So I finally splurged at a curly-specific salon, and immediately saw the difference it makes! My wallet doesn't love the cost of the haircut and the number of products suggested, but I have to admit that the results are speaking for themselves. Sadly I didn't take pictures of my last cut, but I can show it grown out a bit. 

Products: Aveda Be Curly Style-Prep, Aveda Nutriplenish Curl Gelee, Aveda Phmollient foam. Let it air-dry most of the way, hit it with a diffuser at the end, and if necessary scrunch out the crunch with the #BREAD BEAUTY SUPPLY Hair Oil Everyday Gloss 3.3 oz/ 100 mL . 

Day 1 hairDay 1 hair

DayDay 2 hair, not touched up with productDay 2 hair, not touched up with product

Love seeing your smile and hair @tastelikewater!

Thank you @ShortErica , it's good to be back! I've curbed my beauty spending so much since 2020 that I just wasn't around much, but suddenly wearing makeup feels fun again. 

@tastelikewater o m g you look absolutely stunning!!!! 

@lmaster You're so sweet, thank you!

Very pretty, @tastelikewater! I'm glad you got a cut you love! 

Thank you @curlychiquita ! I'm finally learning that with curly hair, you really do get what you pay for 😆

@tastelikewater - Your hair is gorgeous and the style is so flattering on you! 🥰  I understand what you're saying about trying something different, but...it's just hair!  It'll grow out if you don't like it! 😄  I don't think you need to worry about that though, it and you look great! 💖💖💖

@Titian06 Thank you! You're totally right, it's just hair. Thankfully for me, I think this cut worked out well. I've totally embraced the short hair!

Wow @tastelikewater! I did not recognize you in the photo. Your new hair stylist really understands your curl type. Did that person cut your hair dry? Also did you purchase all of the products that your stylist used?

@Loretta55 Thank you! I've always been afraid to go short because of my double-chin, but I'm so glad I trusted my stylist. I did buy all of the Aveda products that she used on me; they're not cheap, but because my hair is short I can use less product, so I haven't needed to buy refills since I bought them in April. I also bought a Denman brush after she showed me how to use it to achieve even more definition, but it isn't a regular part of my routine. 

My stylist used a large paddle wet brush @tastelikewater. My results never match her results but I can not complain.

Sephora just started offering Curlsmith products. I am on the fence about Curlsmith. I purchased a variety of their styling products and I can not recommend anything that I have tried. I purchased the Curlsmith Hair Defrizzion Dryer & XXL Diffuser and the only positive thing I can think of is that I do not sweat while blow drying my hair. I am curious if any other wavy/curly members would care to share their opinions. Paging @ShortErica @Ispend2much6 @Titian06 @curlychiquita .

It's been a million years.

I have tried Curlsmith. Like you, I'm not crazy about most of the products. I do like the Curlsmith Multitasking Conditioner. I've found the one way I can use the Oil-in-Cream is to put it in wet hair at night then pineapple. In the morning, it is still somewhat damp and I can refresh and rewet some areas to make it work. Otherwise, meh.

So nice to hear from you, @ShortErica ! 😘  Thanks for your thoughts on Curlsmith as well.

You're welcome @Titian06! Hope you are doing well. 😀

@Loretta55 , I haven't tried anything curlsmith and actually wasn't thinking about trying any soon. My next item to try is the Verb product you mentioned. My favorite gel is still the Ouidad Climate Control. I've tried a bunch of others and keep going back to it. I do use a bunch of different leave ins underneath.

Thank you very much for your feedback @curlychiquita. I am disappointed that Sephora has decided to carry Curlsmith products. I have a deluxe sample of the Ouidad Climate Control Gel that I have not tried.

783 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos145
  • 20181120_111654.jpg
  • 20181120_111749.jpg
  • A "good" day: Delight s&c, WaveMaker, Amika gel.
  • 20181122_195439.jpg
  • 45953559-A911-4CE7-9251-2B7B2D50E504.jpeg
  • 0D5A6526-A320-4820-915E-661BEAD0D8F2.jpeg
  • 20181126_132138.jpg
  • 20181126_132142.jpg
  • 20181126_132131.jpg
  • 20181126_132118.jpg
  • 3F1ACBDD-5905-4DED-88A5-28E354193400.jpeg
  • 5DE4FB2F-050E-4AB3-BCC6-F341FDBE9873.jpeg
  • 10698395_10153310875226111_5504507754087887955_n.jpg
testing