Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Curls & Coils
|
Anonymous Insider

Replacement for Living Proof Curl Cream?

Does anyone have suggestions for a good medium weight product now that Living Proof stopped making Curl Defining Styling Cream?

I've lost count of the number of times I've finally found something that works really well on my curly hair only to have it be discontinued, aka the anti-curl conspiracy as I like to call it! Do people with straight hair have this problem too?

My hair is fairly thick with curls and some ringlets (3A/3B) and since I live in San Francisco fighting frizz from the fog and ever changing weather is a daily battle.

Any ideas and suggestions are welcome and very much appreciated!

Re: Replacement for Living Proof Curl Cream?

Yes the one from Aveda works the same and costs the same 

@Anonymous THEY DID? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! I just pulled it out of my crazy, overflowing bin of deluxe size styling products the other day, and I loved what it did for me. &$%#^@!

My hair is more of a 2 than a 3, so I'm not sure that I'll be the most help. For definition and frizz-fighting, I've liked the Ouidad Heat & Humidity Gel (regular hold, not strong). I plan to try some of their other products, like the VitalCurl mousse and PlayCurl foam. I also like the DevaCurl line, but the products I use are probably too light for you! 

I was wondering the same thing. I called Living Proof and they said I should use the no frizz line. I still haven't tried it, but now I have more options based on the responses here. So, thank you!

Anonymous Insider

I tried LP’s no frizz line and it doesn’t compare. Very disappointing; I don’t recommend it. I loved the curl defining cream.

RE: Replacement for Living Proof Curl Cream?

Deva curl is my absolute favorite, they have many products to choose from and they have certain product for certain textures. I also am a huge fan of Aussie. It’s very affordable too! I have mostly 3c hair and it’s very thick. These products keep my hair defined and moisturized

@Anonymous Shea Moisture. There's a few lines for hair type. The coconut/hibiscus line is for thick curls, the milk is a cream but lighter weight than the smoothie. Haven't used LP to compare.

Frizz, microfiber towel, cotton roughs up the cuticle and reddit r/curlyhair

Ouidad's climate control line  may help as well.

Anonymous Insider

Thank you TrysBeautyItems! Great advice and product ideas! I've tried Ouidad a few times but will check out the climate control line. I hadn't heard of Shea Moisture so I'll try them as well. So much trial and error with curly hair 🙂

Yes, trial and error big time and then when you go from long to short hair another long trial round lol

Shea Moisture is pretty much everywhere, Target, Ulta, CVS, Marshalls etc

I used to have a similar hair type but now I just have waves left @Anonymous. So unfortunately I have no product suggestions. But I wanted to comment that I totally believe in the anti-curl conspiracy. During my college years Suave made a curly hair shampoo and conditioner that worked like magic on my hair (better than Pantene and Tresemme which was what I had been using and were fine but not wow) and for the price I was like these are my forever products. And well, you guessed it, probably after a year or two I couldn't find them any more. I feel your pain and am crossing my fingers that you get some wonderful suggestions from other BIC members!

Anonymous Insider

Hi Erica,

Thanks for your reply! It's good to know I'm not the only one who's noticed the anti-curl conspiracy. Maybe I should change my headline to that as I'm sure we're not alone on this one.

I too am a victim of the anti-curl conspiracy!! I spent my adolescence finding the perfect combination of shampoo, conditioner, and 3 styling products, only to have my styling products discontinued one by one. And then all of the products I found to replace those were discontinued, etc. I now have a 4-year-old daughter with curly hair, and the leave-in conditioning products I've found to use on her hair are already being discontinued! She hasn't even had hair long enough to require the use of a product for all that long. She says when she grows up she wants to be the president of a company that can make all of our favorite, discontinued products. 🙂 As for a replacement product, have you ever tried Paul Mitchell Extra Body Sculpting Foam? (My hair doesn't need "extra body," but I find that the volumizing formula works better for me and doesn't actually give me added volume.) It doesn't do as much to shape my curls as the Living Proof did, but I've had pretty good results with it.

@Anonymous @ShortErica Yeah, I think there is a dearth of product for curly-haired gals.  And these days there are even way more products out there than there used to be.  I have been flat ironing religiously for years and years, so I haven't worried too much about curl-friendly products, but I do resent that so many products are geared toward increasing volume (for example).  What about those of us that are craving really sleek hair?  We're left to fend for ourselves, and go through trial and error.

Conversation Stats
  • 12 replies
  • 22 Hearts Given
  • 10 Contributors
testing