cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Curls & Coils
|

Let's Talk Curls!

June Curl BT.jpg

Let's talk curls! Curly hair is bold, natural, beautiful, and it’s our mission to celebrate your unique curls. Curly hair is also complicated and we get it. We’re here to guide you in your journey to loving and embracing your curls.

For the last 20 years, our products have been born from the salon, through the conversations we were having with our curly clients. Our product lineup is designed to make all hair textures—wavy, curly and super curly—feel healthy and look gorgeous. The easiest thing you can do to get gorgeous waves and curls is to ditch your shampoo. Without the harsh chemicals found in most traditional formulas, your hair is transformed. Say bye to dryness and frizz! All that's left are beautiful curls that can rock any style.

No matter where you are on your curl journey, we have your perfect routine. Are you wavy, curly or super curly? What products work best for you? Not sure? No worries - we're here to help. We’ll be checking this thread frequently, so go ahead, ask us anything. We’d also love to hear your success stories! Do you have your curl routine locked down? Share your tips, tricks and favorite products to help inspire your fellow curly girls.

Re: Let's Talk Curls!

@devacurl,

I am new to your brand and need some recommendations. Thank you in advance for your time, and starting this thread on BT! 🙂

My hair is naturally wavy. It is long (down to the middle of my back), very thick, coarse, frizz prone, and color treated. I used to blow dry and straighten my hair every other day, though now I am just wanting to embrace my waves and let it air dry. Which products would be best for my hair type?

@angel7594   Perfect. You will love our wavy line! Your texture seems ideal for it. I would recommend Low-Poo & One Condition Delight -- use this 4-5x per week to get your hair hydrated. The weightless moisture will give you body and shine. Since your hair is thick, I'm going to recommend SuperCream instead of Wave Maker. SuperCream is formulated for super curly hair and is highly moisturizing, but many wavies with your texture use it and have great results. To calm any frizzies and extend your hold, follow with Ultra Defining Gel. And as I mentioned above, apply any Deva stylers in soaking wet hair in the shower. You won't be rinsing out product, but instead, activating it!

Thank you! 🙂

@angel7594    You are most welcome. Happy weekend to you!

Happy Friday everyone! Let's talk about summer humidity! We have some tips and tricks to keep your curls looking dialed in.

Tip #1: It's all about gel. Our gels are made to be applied on soaking wet hair in the shower, so you can lock in all that good moisture from No-Poo and One Condition. And our gels are highly moisturizing, not crunchy or drying. Be sure to increase the amount of product you use on humid days, and then "scrunch in" from tips to roots distribute to the inner canopy. Then, DON'T TOUCH. This is by far the hardest part. Don't touch until completely dry, so as not to cause frizz. THEN you can scrunch away the gel cast (that producty feel) for soft, touchable & defined curls and waves!! Hope this helps ❤️

Please write in with our questions. We had so much fun yesterday with you all! 

I am somewhere between wavy and curly with frizzies in the front :'( . I stopped wearing my hair curly years ago when I got a keratin treatment then kept straightening until I learned how to blowout my hair and just did that.

lo and behold a while back (maybe abt 2 yrs ago) I got a generous sample of the ultra defining gel in one of my Sephora boxes and let me tell you, it was A-mazing!!!i went natural and got the whole line and even decadence and the styling cream! I love the smell of the original no poo but not the decadence line. 

My next try is the buildup buster...but let me ask, what do you recommend for a 2b/2c curly girl to tame those pesky frizzies? The defining gel used to do the trick but nowadays by the second day they come back (they used to stay gone)

@H216     Another way to go is to meet the frizzies where they live in the moment. Apply a bit more gel, not directly to your frizz, but to your palms, emulsify with water, and glaze on. You can also carry a travel size Set It Free and do the same application: apply to your palms, emulsify with water, glaze and scrunch.

@H216I wrote you a great reply this morning, and it somehow didn't take! So I will attempt to recreate it again. I love your story! It's wonderful to think that Sephora helped us help you get curly!!! What a great curly story! To answer your question regarding taming those second day frizzies, you can do a few things. You can increase your quantity of gel, especially as it gets more humid. This will really help to lock in all the good moisture from the No-Poo and One Condition.

I've been wanting to try Devacurl for ages but dont know where to start! I tried the styling cream but I think I used too much and it made my hair bit greasy. I have long, fine, wavy hair (lots of it but very fine). My hair is also bleached to the heavens... so bit on the drier side. I wear my hair mostly wavy and would love products that brought out more of my natural texture.

@dziggi  you sound like a perfect candidate for Delight Low-Poo and One Condition which will impart weighless moisture to your fine strands. It's designed for wavy too, so win-win. For stylers, I would suggest Frizz-Free Volumizing Foam OR Wave Maker + Ultra Defining Gel. As you may know, our gels are not crunchy or drying, but instead are hydrating and lock in all the good moisture from the L-P, OC and WM. Just be sure to apply in very wet hair in the shower, don't touch until completely dry, then scrunch to release the gel cast for soft, touchable waves.

Ooh, I'm in for product recommendations please! I have coarse, dry hair that's prone to frizz, splitting and breakage. It used to be quite thick, but I lost a bit after having children. I have the tight ringlet curls underneath with nearly straight hair on top - probably 80% straight but ornery. I don't color it but I do use a dryer on the roots and a curling iron to clean up the ends. I prefer to wash it twice a week, no more often unless I can't avoid it!

@fairlywell   it sounds like your hair would drink in the moisture from Original No-Poo and One Condition quite nicely. I would further suggest supplementing your OC with Heaven In Hair 2x per week -- you can apply this deep conditioner in the shower and wear a cap to help it penetrate more deeply. Heck, some people even sleep in HIH and wake up totally hydrated. I haven't tried this yet, but I am quite tempted. For stylers: Styling Cream and Light Defining Gel, both applied in very wet hair in the shower. Scrunch the product in from tips to roots to form curls, then scrunch again with your DevaTowel for a frizz-free wash n go!

@devacurl I have some Living Proof Shampoo and conditioner to use up - could I start with the HIH right away, or is it better to wait and switch all my products at the same time?

@fairlywell normally I would say wait, because DevaCurl works well as a system, to be used exclusively to get the maximum benefit; but in the case of Heaven In Hair, you can totally start right away. As I mentioned further down in this thread, you can apply in the shower, and then put on a shower cap. Some people even sleep in it! It's pretty great for deep conditioning. You can also use a scant amount as a styler. 

Thanks @devacurl

Thank you for stopping by to chat with us @devacurl.

I became a Devacurl convert about 4 years ago. I have wavy/swavy hair. I get a Devacut every 8 weeks and a bandaid every 4 weeks. I really love the results. The Devacurl styling product that has given me the best results is Wavemaker. I vary my shampoo with Devacurl No Poo Shampoo, Low Poo Shampoo and One Conditioner that I leave in my hair. I also use Devacurl Build Up Buster as necessary.

@Loretta55  How do you use the build up buster? 

Is it like the CR scrubbing salts??? I like those. Makes scalp so clean after the scalp gunk shows up.

@wheeeee you can use Buildup Buster 1x per week in place of No-Poo and always followed with One Condition or Heaven in Hair and your Deva stylers as usual. It's a liquid with a pointed applicator tip so you can direct it right to your scalp. Scrubby scrubby and then massage it in on your hair shaft too, down to the tops. Rinse thoroughly. 

@wheeeee I was using the Build Up Buster incorrectly at first. My Devacurl stylist told me to wash with it twice then use either One Condition or Delight Condition as a leave in. I use the Build Up Buster every second third shampoo. My Devacurl  stylist told me not to use any scalp scrubs because it would cause color loss. I feel that I pay enough to achieve natural looking hair color So Iwill do whatever it takes to maintain it.

@Loretta55   wow, wonderful!! So happy you shared your story. We love reading people's routines so much! As wavy/curly people, we're always open to new combos.

@devacurl having a good Devacurl stylist that actually listens to me and makes product suggestions really makes a huge difference.

105 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos8
  • IMG_1861 (1).JPG
  • June Curl BT.jpg
  • beliveit.jpg
  • deva.jpg
  • Haircut2.jpg
  • Goulue.JPG
  • 2bqVxtP.png
testing