cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Curls & Coils
|

Let's Talk Curls!

June Curl BT.jpg

Let's talk curls! Curly hair is bold, natural, beautiful, and it’s our mission to celebrate your unique curls. Curly hair is also complicated and we get it. We’re here to guide you in your journey to loving and embracing your curls.

For the last 20 years, our products have been born from the salon, through the conversations we were having with our curly clients. Our product lineup is designed to make all hair textures—wavy, curly and super curly—feel healthy and look gorgeous. The easiest thing you can do to get gorgeous waves and curls is to ditch your shampoo. Without the harsh chemicals found in most traditional formulas, your hair is transformed. Say bye to dryness and frizz! All that's left are beautiful curls that can rock any style.

No matter where you are on your curl journey, we have your perfect routine. Are you wavy, curly or super curly? What products work best for you? Not sure? No worries - we're here to help. We’ll be checking this thread frequently, so go ahead, ask us anything. We’d also love to hear your success stories! Do you have your curl routine locked down? Share your tips, tricks and favorite products to help inspire your fellow curly girls.

Re: Let's Talk Curls!

@Loretta55  keep the Spray Gel (Curl Maker) tip in mind for when the humidity subsides -- and use it as a mid-day touch up now too. To really control frizz, increase your quantity of gel to where it is surrounding the curl and locking in moisture. It's all about the gel in the humidity. Good luck!

Hey @devacurl, thanks for taking the time to chat with us! 🙂

I have fine, roughly shoulderblade-length hair that's either a 2C or 3A and gets weighed down easily. I also tend towards an oily scalp. I've recently tried some of your products from the Bombshell Waves kit, and so far I've really liked the Low-Poo Delight, One Condition Delight, and the Wave Maker. Unfortunately, I really dislike the Frizz-Free Volumizing Foam; I couldn't seem to get a good amount of product to get the volume without my hair feeling sticky, and personally the scent was a bit gross (though I should note that I can be sensitive to certain fragrances).

Even by itself, the Wave Maker is really helping to enhance my curls, but I was wondering if you had a recommendation for another product if one would enhance them even more. Thanks!

@MakeupwithCats  I was going to suggest the Delight Low-Poo and One Condition for you! So that's perfect. Low-Poo (either Delight or Original) is good for an oily scalp. There is mild lather derived from a coconut surfactant, so it's gentle, moisturizing but not as moisturizing as No-Poo, which is ideal here. It's also perfect for your fine hair in that the product won't weigh down your waves. So all good. For the Frizz Free Volumzing Foam, if you want to give it another try, be sure to apply in soaking wet hair in the shower. If you're out of the shower, your hair is not wet enough. You can use it as stand alone styler or followed by Ultra Defining Gel. With the Wave Maker, you can also follow with Ultra Defining Gel to extend the hold. Always in soaking wet hair again. In fact Wave Maker is our only styler that you can apply in damp, not wet, hair to good effect. Keep me posted.

Thanks for the tip with the foam! I hadn't tried it when my hair was still soaking, so it sounds like that would help keep it from getting sticky?

The last time I was at Sephora, they suggested I try the Styling Cream and the B'Leave-In. Do any of these (and the Ultra Defining Gel) help get the curls up/bouncy and good volume? Thanks again!

@MakeupwithCatsI would stick with the Wave Maker for you -- that can be your Styling Cream. I think it would be too moisturizing for you, and given your oily scalp, too moisturizing would not be ideal. You can definitely use B'Leave-In to plump your waves and add some volume and bounce. Again, apply in soaking wet hair in the shower for best results.

Whew, I am late to this party! I'm so excited to have you guys answer questions and offer advice!

I've been using Deva products for at least two years now and have had my Deva 'do for as long. To tell you the truth, I didn't even know my hair was curly! I'd been blow drying forever, but my hair had been getting really frizzy after my blowouts. So I decided to see what would happen if I went natural. Imagine my surprise when I developed ringlets (I think it might have been the gray hair changing the texture of my hair, too)! Several ladies here on Beauty Talk recommended the Deva products and, well, now I try to spread the word because I really believe in them.

Two things though.

Thing one: Any chance you guys will come out with a scalp scrub? My scalp gets rather itchy and flaky in a strip between my ears along my nape. I didn't have this problem when I was shampooing daily. I wash every third day now. I can't go longer than that without getting uncomfortably itchy (sorry if this falls under TMI)

Thing two: I have a hard time replicating those big swath-y curls that my stylist creates. My curls tend to become more piece-y when I do it. Any suggestions? Do I need to have more water in my hair? More gel?

I'm attaching a picture so you can see better what my curls look like.

Goulue.JPG

@jozkid I've always admired your beautiful curls. Love seeing your lovely smile!

@bem564 you're always so very nice. Thank you, sweetie!

@jozkid Always happy to see your pretty face!

Aww, you're so sweet. Thanks @Loretta55!

@jozkidWe're only a few days in; this party is just getting started! Very glad you joined. Your curls look great. Yes, true ringlets. Thing one: one reason for an itchy scalp is not removing the No-Poo all the way. So when you are No-Poo-ing, focus on the scalp, vigously massaging ON, then totally OFF, leaving no trace. This should clear it up, but please let me know in this thread how things go. Let me know in 5 days or so. Another way you can go is Buildup Buster 1x per week in place of No-Poo and followed by your One Condition and Deva regimen. See appliction tips in my Happy Monday post just below 🙂 We really appreciate your spreading the word about Deva. Your curly story is great. Okay, now to Thing two: so you're looking for a way to bring your curls together. This can be achieved in the shower with the One Condtition step. As we say, great curls begin in the shower. So when you are raking in One Condition, use ample so your hair becomes slippery. Rake in using 4 fingers over 4 fingers with tension to create curl groupings. This will help with definition and creating fatter curls. Hope this helps! If you'd like more advice, please tell us everything you use and how you apply.

Happy Monday everyone! We thought we'd share some tips about Buildup Buster with you all today. 

Tip #1: If you're brand-new to Deva, Buildup Buster is a great way to begin with the line. Apply Buildup Buster at the root in soaking wet hair in the shower, massage vigously, and work the product with your fingers down the hair shaft to the tips. Always remember to follow with our One Condition or Heaven In Hair, and Deva stylers. Please be sure to use just 1x per week to give your curls a reset!

Tip #2: If you already use Deva, you can still use Buildup Buster to remove environmental buildup or even buildup from hard water. Your curls will be bouncy-fresh in no time! To apply, see tip #1.

Tip #3: Say you LOVE Buildup Buster, and are really wanting to replace your No-Poo with it. Is this wise? We suggest sticking to 1x per week, and letting your No-Poo do it's creamy cleanser thing the rest of the time. Trust us. You will like the results. Questions on application? See Tip #1 or ask us in this thread!

Please write in with our questions. We have been LOVING chatting with you all. 

@devacurl I have coily 4C hair. Could you give a recommendation on how to get my natural curl to pop and defined?

@beautysister Yes, would love to! For your super curly hair, I would recommend Decadence No-Poo and One Condition -- you can detangle with One Condition in the shower as it has great slip. Divide your hair into sections, and rake in the product using 4 fingers over 4 fingers with tension -- no need for a comb. Spend as long as you can on this step. Your hair will really thank you for it in the long run in terms of definition and hydration. Then, in soaking wet hair in the shower, apply SuperCream (rake in, scrunch up) followed by Ultra Defining Gel (same process). Wait until complete dry, then scrunch again to release the gel cast. For must-have extras, I would recommend Heaven In Hair 2x per week as a deep conditioner, the DevaTowel for frizz free wash n gos, and Buildup Buster to give your curls a new lease on life. Buildup Buster is a great way to start with the brand. You will see a huge jump start in your progress. Use just 1x per week in place of No-Poo and always follow with One Condition or Heaven In Hair and your Deva stylers as usual. 

Hello @devacurl! What a fun and interseting thread! I have baby fine hair and lots of it! My hair is shoulder-lenght, curly on the bottom and wavy on top. I struggle to find products that don't weigh my hair down. Most products that I have tried in the past give me curls for a couple of hours, but my hair fall flat after that. Do you have a product that you could recommend? Thank you 🙂

@missjulied so glad you are liking this conversation thread! For your waves and texture, Delight Low-Poo and One Condition would be ideal. Both of these products deliver weightless moisture, shine and body, and have a great fresh & bright fragrance. Normally I would recommend Wave Maker + Ultra Defining Gel for your stylers, but keep this in mind as a back-burner idea. To start instead, I would recommend Frizz Free Volumizing Foam and a bit of Spray Gel (now called the Curl Maker, but don't worry, it's for waves too). 

Thank you for your response !

Hi, @devacurl!  I have fine, thin wavy/curly hair that is a few inches below shoulder length.  As others have described, it's much curlier underneath and wavier on top.  I also have an itchy scalp that I've been able to control with Avalon Organics Scalp Treatment Tea Tree Shampoo and Shea Moisture Restorative Conditioner.  I wash my hair every other day and let it air dry (I haven't touched a hair dryer in years).

The only Deva Curl product I've tried is a deluxe sample of Deva Curl Whip It Good that I got from Sephora.  This is the best curl cream I've used.  It doesn't aggravate my itchy scalp.

After reading your replies to others' questions and what others who use your products have to say, I'm feeling the love...I'm ready to try some of your other products!

@Titian06   Your post warms my heart!!! So much. I love that you have been reading along and finding the advice helpful, and I love that the Whip It Good (Wave Maker) has been agreeing with your scalp. Perhaps Delight Low-Poo and One Condition would be a good addition to your routine. Our products are highly moisturizing and water soluble. If you give it a try, let us know how it goes. 

I have just started testing some products from this brand (the wavemaker texture whip and the build up buster).  Both of these were samples and I have loved them so far and plan to pick up full sizes.  But I wanted to thank you guys for making substantial size samples.  Ones that I can actually get a full use out of, if not more, with my wavy and thick hair! 

That being said I was curious to about how much of the build-up buster I should use?  I know this probably depends on how much hair you have but since this doesn't lather too much I was unsure if I used too much product.  

@sydtomato  Love your handle 🙂 Happy that you are having good results so far! Happy you like all the goodness of the samples too. YAY. Based on what's working for you already, I would recommend Delight Low-Poo and One Condition. Great curls begin in the shower, so it's important to get your hair the right kind of moisture. Delight delivers weightless moisture and it smells great too. As for Buildup Buster, our recommendation is to use in place of your Low-Poo just 1x per week. In terms of a quantity, direct it to the roots, then work the product down towards the ends. Use as much as you would use any cleanser. Maybe a little less. It's pretty concentrated. But using a bit too much won't hurt. Just rinse it thoroughly as you scrub your scalp and follow always with One Condition or Heaven In Hair deep conditioner. 

Conversation Stats
Photos8
  • IMG_1861 (1).JPG
  • June Curl BT.jpg
  • beliveit.jpg
  • deva.jpg
  • Haircut2.jpg
  • Goulue.JPG
  • 2bqVxtP.png
testing