Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Curls & Coils
Anonymous Insider

I want longer healthier hair!!

I've noticed lately that my hair hasnt gained much length within the last 6 months i've applied heat to my hair and have damaged it! please help! any recommendations for products
Anonymous Insider

In order to achieve what you desire you need to put your...

In order to achieve what you desire you need to put your hair care into perspective. Long hair may be the top on your list but it should really be the last, at least for right now! Focus mainly on nurturing your hair back to health. I went through my hair phases after years of heat damage and I haven't turned back! Cutting off the dead ends is a good idea if your comfortable with rocking a cute curly hair style (I big chopped once I transitioned my natural non damaged hair to a comfortable length so when the dead and straight ends were cut I still had a bit of length to style). I suggest grabbing the Curly Girl Handbook and reading it like the bible! Stop using shampoos that strip your hair of natural essential oils, co-wash (shea moisture has a great line and so does deva curl), using home made protein treatments will help strengthen your curls (coconut oil and eggs), and implementing oils such as coconut oil and argan oil into your daily regiment will also bring a healthy balance to damaged hair. Create a monthly hair schedule that works for your schedule and before you know it you'll notice your hair will become much healthier and grow longer. Once I stopped focusing on the length and became focused on the health there was a huge visual difference in my curl pattern and of course with time (3 years) my hair went from barely grazing my shoulders to butt length when wet!

Re: I want longer healthier hair!!

I went through this whole thing about a year ago I always use the flat iron on my hair and there's really only two actual things that helped me end neither of them are products. 

First, get a haircut. I know it seems counterintuitive but when your hair is damaged it breaks and it's not going to grow if it keeps breaking--having the dead ends cut off really helped me. 

Second - wash your hair less. Less washing means less applying heat and healthier hair. Now I only wash my hair twice a week, just invest in a good dry shampoo. Your hair will get used to being washed less and a good dry shampoo really helps in the days between.

There are products I like that make my hair soft and feel healthier--briogeo is my fav brand for this their leave in conditioner and mask make my hair so soft and maybe it's preventative against future damage but since it sounds like you've already done the damage to your hair a haircut is really the only way to fix it and it's better in the long run 

RE: I want longer healthier hair!!

I had same issue. I had color {crack} hair that killed my hair. Along with putting too much heat on it. when i laid off the color crack a few months_ my hair grew pretty fast.~ even though i used heat on my hair over months.
Anonymous Insider

RE: I want longer healthier hair!!

Me too
Conversation Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 Hearts Given
  • 5 Contributors
testing