cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Curls & Coils
|
Anonymous Insider

How to fix severely damaged wavy/curly hair

Hi guys! I’m new here and I thought I would ask for some advice on haircare because it’s about time I start caring for my curls. In the past year and a half my hair has been through three separate bleaches (in the cycle of bleaching, dying my hair back to black, then bleaching again etc.) I haven’t been able to wear my hair down in months because I hate how limp how hair looks now. I’ve lost most of the curl in the strands of hair that have been bleached the most. I don’t use heat on my hair, but I still find it really dry and I think it’s because I don’t really pay attention to the products I put in it. I started watching videos on YouTube for haircare and I see devacurl mentioned a lot. Would you recommend that product? It’s a bit pricey for me but if it really works I’d be willing to try it. And if not, what works best for you and how do you keep your curly hair healthy? Thanks so much!

Re: How to fix severely damaged wavy/curly hair

Go to Olaplex.com to use the salon locator where you can find a salon to give you a stand alone Olaplex treatment. Then follow up with the Olaplex#3 at home...on damp hair, apply Olaplex and leave it for an hour. The longer you use the product, the better the outcome! I wish you were here in NY, I would help you, & show you the magic of Olaplex! If you can’t afford the salon, purchase the Olaplex #3 from Sephora and use it with a plastic cap for at LEAST an hour- the same active ingredient that’s in the #1 is also in #3 but the #3 is just a bit more diluted

Thank you!  I am going to put this in my loves based on your enthusiasm.  GRATEFUL

Anonymous Insider

RE: Re: How to fix severely damaged wavy/curly hair

Thank you so much I will definitely try this!!

@Anonymous Deva Curl is definitely a popular brand.  I wear my hair straight, so I can't speak to how well the products work for shaping curls.  However, I read "Curly Girl" by Lorraine Massey (the creator of Deva Curl) and it had good advice.  You might want to read it and see if you can glean some tips.  

I know Deva Curl is definitely more expensive than drugstore, but I can say I used the "One Condition" for a good chunk of time and liked it.  Sephora is having a sale this weekend, so now might be a good time to pick some up.  🙂

Anonymous Insider

Thanks girl !! 🙂 I didn't know about that sale I'll definitely get some 

DevaCurl did really good things for my hair once it was healthy again but by the sounds of it, it might be better for you to chop it off and start again. I have very curly hair (I'm biracial black/white) and decided to go blond at one point and it ruined my hair, as in it was falling out in clumps, messed up the curl pattern etc. I spent a-lot of money on products and in the end nothing I did saved them, unfortunately with curls once you've damaged the curl pattern there isn't really anything you can do for them but start over, which is what I did, I had a pixie cut with the sides shaved down.If you really want to try to save your hair as it is currently I would suggest finding a "natural hair" hair stylist, one that has your curl pattern and ask them for advice. You could also try peppermint oil (look up how to properly apply it, especially if diluting an essential oil, straight peppermint oil can cause burns) or peppermint products, sometimes mint will rejuvenate curls. Oils like coconut and olive will help out as well, using trial and error see which one works best for your hair and leave those on your hair overnight covering your head with a shower-cap. Deep Repair masques could help you as well. I'm sorry I don't have any specific products for you, I can't remember exactly what brands I used to try to repair my curls as this about seven years ago now. When it comes to curly hair, usually natural remedies work best. There are also Instagram accounts for curly-haired people like us that give pretty good instructions on how to revive damaged curls, I just don't know the extent of your damage so I wouldn't be able to judge whether or not you'll be able to save it, but it's worth trying.

Anonymous Insider

Thanks for the insight!! I'm also mixed (asian/white) so my hair is naturally jet black and very thick but not super super curly. Here's a pic so you see what I mean about my hair. This is after a shower air drying my hair but usually in the next 2 days it starts to look way worse. Do you think it's savable?? The front has some waves/curls but the middle is where it gets weird- it just looses any waves/curls. The only reason why I don't wanna cut it again is because I just grew out a pixie cut and was hoping to go long again! 😕 My bad for putting it through so many bleachingsPhoto on 2018-04-18 at 6.20 PM.jpg

Bleaching any hair type is always gamble but even more so when it comes to curly hair. Btw you're really beautiful xx Would you mind posting a pic of your hair when it was healthy so I can compare? I'd be able to give better insight then 🙂

1 Reply
Conversation Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 12 Hearts Given
  • 5 Contributors
Photos1
  • Photo on 2018-04-18 at 6.20 PM.jpg
testing