Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Curls & Coils

How to bring curly hair back from the dead

I have wavy/curly hair that I straightened for 12 years. Now I am on a journey to recover my curls and embrace them. I’ve started using the deva curl products (low poo, conditioner, mask), a cotton tshirt instead of a towel for drying my hair, and a silk pillow case. Are there any other products/tips people would recommend?

Re: How to bring curly hair back from the dead

I understand where you coming from, some products that really worked for me are: Genedor Beauty Healthy Hair Gummies, the whole briogeo curl line, the briogeo don't despair hair mask (once week), the briogeo scalp revival scalp treatment (once weekly), briogeo roscaro milk reparative leave-in milk (I use it for detangling), briogeo roscaro oil, and a hair massager. I use the L. O. C. method (Leave-in, Oil, Cream). I hope these work for you! Good luck on your hair journey!

I also need help with this!

I have always had thick, course and naturally culy hair. They were shiny corkscrew curls, but hated the the money I spent on products in humidity, so began using the flat iron. My stylist would cut it in a way that made me straighten it every day for years. I tried to go back to curls, and they were gone! I was so upset! The underside has curl in a mohawk kind of way, and the rest is stick straight without blow drying. No matter what I've tried, It hasn't changed. I also have an issue with the ends looking very frayed, even with it freshly cut and the use of oils and conditioning. It looks terrible!I cut it to shoulder length, and still not helping. I'm

desperate to get the curl back and what my husband calls my personality. 

RE: How to bring curly hair back from the dead

I agree with the recommendation of the curly girl method. Lorraine Massey had a 1.5 hour YouTube as well on it that is full of tips. Also, give your curls time to readjust and they will get curlier and more healthy. Good luck!

How to bring curly hair back from the dead

have you tried olaplex? it gives my curls life! i get stand alone treatments at the salon, then I use the 3, 4&5 shampoo/cond at home. it has completely changed my hair. Made my curls bouce back, after years of bleaching and flat ironing

When getting my hair back to health, I literally coated it in argan oil and put it in braids every single night before going to sleep. That plus a silk pillowcase worked miracles! 

I’ve straightened my hair my whole life. And I make a year that I’ve been transitioning (no heat, all natural) it’s so hard and at times you may feel upset but it gets better !!!! I had the puff too. -Try natural products instead of chemical filled products if you haven’t already started. -wash your scalp, No need to scrub your hair, it will clean in the process. -try finger detangling when your hair is wet instead of using a comb (which pulls hair from the root, and breaks hair, my devastylist gave me this yummy tip) -Condition and do protein treatments to nourish and repair. This Speeds the process to getting your curls back -massage your scalp with oils (coconut, avocado, olive etc) This also seals your hair shaft, and retains moisture. -trim your hair to avoid breakage, this also promotes hair growth -sleep with a satin/silk pillow case to avoid frizz and damage to your curls (I love bonnets) Tip- do protective styles because it gives the illusion of curls! That’s what I did when I first started recovering from heat damage. If you have questions let me know.

A lot of twist outs, deep conditioning 1-2 times a week, I even added a water filter to my shower head because chlorine from tap water dries out my curls. It took about a year to see results. I also started to trim heat damaged curls every 6 months until I finally grew out the damage. Ive been natural for 3 years now.

Hey! I went back to my curls a few years ago (after years...

Hey! I went back to my curls a few years ago (after years of straightening treatments, flat-ironing, etc.), and it's definitely a process. Something that helped was using heat-free curling methods until my new growth was long enough for me to cut off all the damaged ends. Headband curls were my favorite - quick and easy.
Conversation Stats
  • 9 replies
  • 19 Hearts Given
  • 10 Contributors
testing