cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Curls & Coils
|
Anonymous Insider

Dry, Frizzy and Curly hair.

I have dry, frizzy and curly hair, and I want to know what I can do to make it healthy. I wash it everyday, and I use tresemme shampoo and conditioner. Personally, I think it’s dead, but my curls form perfectly, but if I touch my hair or move it, it gets frizzy fast. It’s also very dry hair. I just want my hair to be healthy! 😩

Re: Dry, Frizzy and Curly hair.

Curly hair already tends to be dry hair. It does not need to be washed daily @Anonymous. I agree with everyone else when they say to try to space out the washings and also to try hair products without silicones,etc. I use DevaCurl products myself and find I get the best results when I do, but there are others out there. I use a Carol’s Daughter shampoo sometimes when I want to switch things up. The key is lots of moisture and less frequent shampooing and that should help you tremendously. Pretty much everyone has given you some solid advice on how to care for your hair!

I have weird, curly hair, too. I invested in DevaCurl and I'm so happy I did. And, when I say I INVESTED, that's exactly what I mean. It's on the pricey side and I bought a few things at a time. Also, watching YouTube videos helped with different techniques on how to use the various products. My hair is curly but not tight curls, so I prefer the wavy products (low poo shampoo, etc). I also noticed a big difference when I started using the DevaCurl blow dryer with the hand-shaped attachment and the towel that came with it. Lastly, I bought a pick that only has four teeth (got it on Amazon) and flip my hair over, pick it out a bit and flip my head back. I used to have A LOT of hair, but due to illness have lost about 2/3 of it so these products and techniques have really made a difference. Hope this helped...

@Anonymous  KICK the shampoo habit!! Do not wash every day. IF you want to wet your hair to keep it moist, try spritzing with a spray bottle of water, conditioner, and a few drops of coconut oul ( you can find it liquefied in the grocery store). Like so many others have mentioned, shampooing everyday is what is drying out your hair. I have very dense, fine, dry, curly hair and I 'shampoo' with conditioner, ( called cowashing) then use a leave in conditioner. I use coconut oil or shea butter as a dressing after spraying my hair with the watered down conditioner. I Deep condition about every two weeks. My hair needs to get wet every day to fight the frizzies, but NO SHAMPOO! The beauty of the spray bottle of watered down conditioner is you can make it fresh weekly, add whatever essential oils oyu want for scent, and you know exactly what is in it! Hope that works for you! 

def. stay away from. drug store shampoo those have tons of alcolhol in them so that will dry u hair alone. u need professional shampoo

@Anonymous Like others mentioned, definitely stop washing your hair every day. Switch to every other day or every two days and use dry shampoo if you feel like it's too greasy. Try switching to a sulfate-free shampoo, they tend to be less stripping and better for curls. Try incorporating a hair mask or putting coconut oil from mid to ends of our hair for 30 min before you shower. I use Devacurl supercream for styling and it's really good, a little goes a long way. 

Anonymous Insider

Natural curly, fine hair.  It doesn't matter if my hair is halfway down my back or shoulder length, I do the same routine because it works for me in humid or dry weather.  I've tied Deva Curl and other specific curly products but didn't achieve the nice controlled, soft, thick curl I know my hair can do.  My curls are not crunchy, does well in humid/rainy weather, and remains very touchable.  I never use a comb unless my hair is totally wet.  Fingers and the palms of my hands are my best tools.  I get compliments every day about my curls from straight and curly-hair women and even men.

I only wash my hair once a week.  I use Bumble & Bumble shampoo and conditioner. With my hair very wet while still in shower, I flip my hair over, while bent at the waist, and use Miss Jessie's Pillow Soft Curls.  I work in by starting at my ends and going up to my scalp and scrunching my hair up towards my head.  My hair is vey wet at this stage and as I scrunch, I am gently squeezing excess water out.  I use an all cotton t-shirt to "wrap" my hair up and off my face.

By the time I towel-dry my body, put on my body moisturizer, and complete my facial routine, I untie my t-shirt, comb my hair with a large-tooth comb, part my hair, flip my head over, add a bit more Ms. J's with my hands, then scrunch my hair towards my head with the t-shirt, stand up, and lightly arrange my hair with my fingers.

I don't touch my hair until it is dry.  Afterwards, I will flip my head down again, fluff my hair with my hands (breaking the curls to achieve more fullness instead of ropes), rub a bit of Ms. J's in my hands and scrunch my hair up to my head followed by scrunching the t-shirt.  I find my hair will kind of "stick" to my hands and using the t-shirt as the final scrunch gives  thicker, defined curls.  Flip back upright, scrunch some more, and then out the door. Sometimes, I want a nice feathered, framing bang and have no problem blow drying my bangs with a heat brush.  I absolutely love, love, love Ms. J's.

My maintenance is to bend over, lightly wet my hair by wetting my hands and scrunching up towards my head, rub Ms. J's in my hands and scrunch up towards my head, flip back up, and use light, gentle hand swipes along the top of my head and any other areas to remove t frizz and fly-aways.  Give final scrunches of my ends up again towards my head.  Maintenance days I do everything the same way, varying how much I wet my hair,  but not wash my hair.

when my hair was like that I started using coconut oil and it helped with the frizzenes. I would put in like a hair crimes/mouses and notice a difference right away

and I would stop washing it everyday to every other day....

and I would stop washing it everyday to every other day. The reason behind this is being that washing hair daily can strip natural oils from our hair that we need
Conversation Stats
  • 9 replies
  • 17 Hearts Given
  • 9 Contributors
testing