Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Curls & Coils
|

Deva cut?

I have long curly hair that's super weighed down and I want to get it cut to freshen my curls, has anyone had a deva cut? I want to try it but I'd be cheating on my hairstylist and I don't want to do it if it's not worth it.

RE: Deva cut?

It sounds like you had the same problem as I did! I love my hair long and thought regular layers made it look wayyyy to poofy. The best hair cut I ever got was getting inverted layers, it is the same as traditional layers but they are underneath instead. Because the layers were underneath the ends didn’t pop out making a poofy huge mess in my hair. I think you would really love this look! Also a plus it works with most hair lengths, so you can keep your hair at whatever length you prefer!

Re: Deva cut?

I have had many hair cuts over the years from coming out like a triangle head to looking like a lion. I have found the Deva stylists know what they are doing compared to normal stylists. The key is to see what level they are at as a stylist with Deva itself, I will now only see level 3 which is the higher they go. Level 3 professionals actually pay to be trained properly in this technique and have more experience than the other levels.  https://www.devacurl.com/salon-stylist-search.html

Deva cut?

A good wash.A 5 minute hair mask and some mouse☺

I can’t trust any stylist that claims to cut curly hair and I have been going to the same one to get deva cuts for the past 4 years. Search the devacare website for professional trained stylist in the technique.Totally worth the investment. My hair has never looked better when it is cut with this method. I also recommend the devacare products. 

Deva cut?

definitely worth it, if they do it right!

Deva cut?

just had my first Deva cut! love it before and after

Anonymous Insider

Deva cut?

I had my first Deva cut on Friday and I'm loving it so far. I've never had a professional haircut as an adult, so it was a bit of a nerve-racking experience, but I came out of it feeling so much better about the health and look of my hair.

@fairskinboricua I went for my first Deva cut about 2 weeks ago on Broome st in NYC.  I am so attached to my hair and terrified of cutting my 2C curls.  My stylist was understanding and shared with me her knowledge about curly hair.  It was well worth the visit and I'll definitely be returning in October for my follow up visit.  Good luck!

@mishanyc wrote:

@fairskinboricua I went for my first Deva cut about 2 weeks ago on Broome st in NYC.  I am so attached to my hair and terrified of cutting my 2C curls.  My stylist was understanding and shared with me her knowledge about curly hair.  It was well worth the visit and I'll definitely be returning in October for my follow up visit.  Good luck!

@mishanyc - can I ask where you went? I have been trying a place in the East Village that is certified Deva cuts but my hair always ends up having lots of dead ends leftover, and in the event that I blow it straight, straighten it or get a professional blowout, it looks severely uneven. 

Has anyone else had this problem when getting a dry cut or Deva cut? I welcome any feedback ... I'm getting married in 1 month and want to wear my hair naturally curly one night, then straight the other, so need to get this sorted asap 🙂 Thank you xx

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding @stephanied88!  I go to the Devacurl salon on 425 Broome St.  Prior to cutting my hair, my stylist told me it may be uneven if I blow it out because  my hair would be cut in a way that went with my curl pattern while it was dry and curly.  I try to avoid heat styling as much as possible so I'm not sure what my hair would look like if I were to blow it out.  Your wedding day is such a special event!  You may want to avoid a Devacut until after this event.  If you feel like Devacurl is you best bet, reach out to them and explain that you are getting married and looking to wear your hair both ways.  Best wishes to you!

@mishanyc Thank you so much, this is super helpful! xx

@stephanied88 Glad I could help! 🙂

Hi @fairskinboricua!  In my experience, the DevaCut is totally worth cheating.  You might not think so at first, depending on your hair type (I'm a between 3B & 3C) but the difference is in the way they teach you to style it and how it grows out.  The Deva method adds tons of moisture back into your hair and encourages the curl rather than attempting to control it.  The style lasts longer for me than a regular cut which can get lopsided and start to weigh down your curls.  You should try it!

How do you find a “devacut” stylist?

Re: RE: Deva cut?

@kikijo16

Go to devacurl dot com, and click on find a stylist ☺️

Thank you ladies! I'm gonna do it!! Do I just wear my how how I normally style it, including product?

They always tell me to wear it down, clean, and dry, so I wouldn’t put anything into it. They’ll wash and style it after the cut anyway

I've had a devacut and it was amazing! Twice and I need another one. They're great about answering any questions and things you have as well.

I had one for the first time ever last year and it was the best hair cut I've ever gotten!! She took a ton of weight out without looking like I had lost a lot of hair, if that makes sense. Totally worth cheating on your regular hair stylist! I should add I have mid back length curly hair, and it never looked so healthy before!
19 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 19 replies
  • 32 Hearts Given
  • 15 Contributors
Photos3
testing