Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Curls & Coils
|

Curly chemical hair

I need help getting my hair healthier. I have curly frizzy hair but I also do textures and in the past relaxers. I always straighten my hair but realize how much split ends I have, but it's my favorite way of styling. I do give my hair a heat break for a week once a month but go back to the straightener asap. Any one have any routines/products that can help me get healthier hair but still can use a straightener?

Re: Curly chemical hair

One, please go easy on the heat once you realize that your hair is splitting/damaged as you will only further the damage- especially in curly hair.

You'd probably be better off finding a treatment that allows your curls to remain straight (i.e. brazilian blow out)  and wrapping your hair properly at night to ensure it stays straight so you do not HAVE to put heat in it daily. When I perform heat treatments on NON-RELAXED hair, my wraps last up to 2 weeks when a person is actually wrapping their hair at night... with minimal heat in it maybe every 3-5 days... BUT I understand the struggle. 

Regimen wise, I'm going to be honest because that's the kind of stylist I am LOL...

I would start with a trim...

Second, find some ways to wear your hair curly, in a style you like- because continuing to put heat in it that frequently- is only going to make it worse. 

If you just cannot be away from the heat/straight hair- get a treatment that leaves your hair straight so you do not have to put heat in it DAILY.

Maintain your trims every 6-8 weeks and you'll see you hair get healthier and healthier because you're losing the damage as you go. This means it will seem like it isn't growing because you're cutting off an inch or so every 6-8 weeks and that's about the rate it grows anyway.

There is no magic serum to repair hair- only regular trims and protecting from damage from what your currently doing is the only thing that will get your hair back to a healthy state- especially once the damage is done. I've been licensed for 10 years and have never seen damage hair come back from any magic serum/hair mask/shampoo/product- no matter what the ad says- I work in real facts about hair and its actual composition.

Unfortunately, it sounds like you have passed the point of no return... At this stage only actual hair-care, regular trims and protection from heat can really help. In the meantime ensure you're conditioning your hair- and not OVER conditioning which can cause a coat and make hair brittle... Stay off the heat boo. I know it's hard... but you gotta do it or it'll be breaking off in chunks next.

@RN3179 Here's what I do to keep my curly hair healthy since I am married to my flat iron...it also helps fight frizz:

Spoiler

Shampoo: Use a moisturizing shampoo. Many BICers use sulfate-free. I haven't had success with those, so I use John Frieda Beyond Smooth with Pure Coconut Oil

Conditioner: I am in love with Biolage Hydrasource Conditioning Balm. Other good ones are DevaCurl One Condition (popular with BICers), Phytojoba and Neutrogena Triple Moisture (the one in the tub - very affordable).

Serums: Silicone serums are very important in fighting frizz, in my opinion. My favorite is Paul Mitchell Super Skinny Serum. I also use it with Phytodefrisant to give my hair more slip when blow drying with a brush. It's important to just squeeze water out of your hair, then apply the serum - do not towel dry unless it is a microfiber towel.

If you flat iron, I really suggest a flat iron spray. It really helps keep away the frizz. I am currently obsessed with Paul Mitchell Hot Off the Press.

Hair oils: Hair oils can do a lot to make your hair more manageable, and less prone to frizz. My fave is Matrix Oil Wonders. Other good ones are Alterna Kendi Oil and Josie Maran Argan Oil. You can use them as a treatment, in with conditioner, as a styling aid, or on dry hair (I use it this way to help with frizz).

Anti-frizz spray: I recently discovered Living Proof Humidity Shield and it really helps! I use it every morning!

Hair masks: Also good for maintaining hair health - or at least the appearance of it! My favorites have been discontinued, so I don't have any recs for you.

Dry shampoo: I highly rec this, as it will allow you to wash/dry your hair less, which means less damage. I like Klorane and Alterna.

Best of luck!!!

Anonymous Insider

Hi!! I have hair similar to you and my recomendations would be: straighten your hair only once over a couple of days, try to let it air dry, I found that conditioner left my hair more 'thin' so now I only use hydrating masks instead once a week and also I use heat protector when I use heat over it. I hope it helps!!! (Sorry for the English haha)

Yes! Anything helps. What heat protector do you use?

Anonymous Insider

I use Agadir’s Hair Shield 450 Plus 🙂 

Conversation Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 4 Hearts Given
  • 4 Contributors
testing