Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Curls & Coils

Curly Hair stylist

How do you choose a stylist for curly hair? I've never had a proper curly cut and now I'm in California and I NEED a hair cut. Also is it more expensive? This is my everyday look (so you can see my curl pattern/type) but now I'm in dire need of a trim and a bit of spicing up. P.S. can anyone tell me what type hair I have? (2b 3b etc)

Re: Curly Hair stylist

@Sheabutter00 Do you have any salons by you that partner with DevaCurl?

only one and it has terrible reviews

only one and it has terrible reviews

Re: only one and it has terrible reviews

@Sheabutter00 Too bad 😞  I think Lorraine Massey's "Curly Girl" book has tips on how curly hair should be cut - like cut when it's dry/curly and cut at a certain point in the bottom "C" shape of the curl.  Maybe having a consult with a stylist and seeing if s/he knows these finer points would be a good way to determine who you might want to partner with.

I re-read your post, and it looks like you are wanting to know what curly type you have.  I believe @ElleElleG started a thread with this info on this curly group.  It should be near the start of the thread.

Good luck!  🙂

RE: Curly Hair stylist

I look for salons that are specialized in curly hair. I then read the online bios of their stylists, and schedule a consultation appointment when I can ask them to go over their technique in detail, and we can both set expectations. If they inspire my trust, I proceed to schedule an appointment and cross my fingers. I have curl type 3 a, and I never get any dramatic styles, only trims. I would always recommend you start with trims until you get to know if they do a good job before you get any dramatic haircuts. Also try to arrive earlier to your appointments so you can see if they do a good job to their other clients from the appointments preceding yours. Here are two salons specialized in curly hair in CA that I know from friends and also personal experience have stylists with good technique for curly hair: http://www.batiaandaleeza.com http://www.devacurl.com/salon-stylist-search.html Good luck!

Thankyou!

Thankyou!
Conversation Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 4 Hearts Given
  • 3 Contributors
Photos1
testing