Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Curls & Coils
|

Curl Repair?

I have naturally curly hair (just shy of Princess Merida from Brave level curly hair) but over the years, after dying my hair 20+ times, spending an average of 30 minutes in the hot shower, and just "going with" whatever my family buys at Wal-Mart for shampoo or conditioner, you can imagine how damaged my hair has gotten.

Within the past two years, I've tried different methods to help treat my hair and/or get it back to my old curls, but I keep turning up at dead ends. My hair is weighted down, more wave less curl, and frizzy "beyond repair". I've tried to use Paul Mitchell's Tea Tree Oil Shampoo and Conditioner to also help treat what little dandruff I get on occasion, I've tried curly creams like Cantu's coconut curling cream, as well as Cantu's shampoo and conditioner, Ion hair masks, and Shea Moisture's treatment sprays, and the like, but nothing has improved that greatly. 

Clearly I'm doing something wrong, and whilst I've knocked off taking excessively hot showers or blow drying my hair, I genuinely don't know what all I should do to 'fix my hair'. Any advice? I've cut my hair extremely short and have only dyed my hair once or so within these past two years since it's grown, but I dunno what else to use or to try.

What products do you think I should use? Curling creams seem to be too heavy despite having really thick course hair but I honestly don't know what all to look into as far as shampoos, conditioners, treatments, hair masks, etc. etc. go.

Please help!

Thanks.Screenshot (119).png

Curl Repair?

My all time favourite hair care brand is Shea Moisture ♡ My favourite line of theirs is the Manuka Honey and Yogurt one, it leaves my hair so soft and touchable, although the Coconut and Hibiscus is also a very nice one. I found my hair loves anything Shea Moisture while it did not like Davines or DevaCurl, and the added bonus is Shea moisture is way cheaper and more ethical. I just wash it, condition it then add a tiny bit of product to it (usually a curl cream or gel). sometimes if I have a few hours I plop it, however I can wash, scrunch, and go with this routine if I have to and it is super simple.

RE: Curl Repair?

My hair doesn’t take to curl creams, it weighs my curls down and makes it heavy and greasy. I also can’t use mousse of any kind because FRIZZ. I like gels, but many have that crunchy feel to them. I have found 2 products that: 1) help with frizz, 2) help shape curls.: The Tec Italy Scultore Fine Liquid Hair Gel for Sculpt & Define Curls is a light gel that keeps hair styled frizz-free without the crunchy feeling and is reactivated with water for second day curls. The Tec Italy Balsami Presto Leave In Treatment helps soften hair further and also prevents frizz. They are available on Amazon.

My hair hates curl creams! Nothing wrong with that and doesn’t necessarily mean your hair is damaged beyond repair. I had long hair when I started my curly hair journey and didn’t need to cut that much off. There are plenty of options out there, it’s about trial and error. Try Curls in a Bottle by Curl Junkie or B Leave In by DevaCurl. Check around, there are a lot of lesser known curl companies that will send you samples so you don’t have to invest in full sized options!

Re: Curl Repair?

you might not like hearing this...but you have to cut if off. Go short. Really short. I have similar hair and a similar story, and cutting short and taking care of it from scratch really helps.

Curl Repair?

girl, you need olaplex in your life. I love the new 4 & 5💗

YES! I just talked to my stylist and she said it is a secret of the trade. Used the #4 tonight and it definitely boasted my hairs health!

It so important to repair the hair from within and not just use products that will temporarily coat the hair to make it seem healthier. A great product is the Olaplex No.3 hair perfector! It works from inside the hair to repair broken bonds and strengthen the hair which in turn begins to return the natural curl pattern. This will be the biggest game changer for your hair!

@NovoKoda

Okay girl.....lets talk hair. 

Curly hair is a lot more finicky then straight hair. 

Below is a horrible image of what I'm trying to describe....the "curl" isn't curly at all but just imagine. Straight Vs. Curly Hair - When we apply conditioners, deep treatments, masks to straight hair you get more or less even penetration of product; it's a smooth cuticle with no curves preventing absorbtionStraight Vs. Curly Hair - When we apply conditioners, deep treatments, masks to straight hair you get more or less even penetration of product; it's a smooth cuticle with no curves preventing absorbtion

☆Please imagine this is actually curly hair☆ On curly hair you have bends and curves which makes it impossible to get full penetration of product. This is the reason those with curly hair are naturally on the more dry side.☆Please imagine this is actually curly hair☆ On curly hair you have bends and curves which makes it impossible to get full penetration of product. This is the reason those with curly hair are naturally on the more dry side.

So understanding WHY your hair is drier, is a good place to start. Curly clients usually stay away from silicones, unnecessary alchohols and sulfates as they add to dryness. 

I would take a look at the Deva Curl line that Sephora carries aswell as Olaplex No.3. It's a game changer for curls. 

Anonymous Insider

RE: Re: Curl Repair?

It makes sense. I just ordered my Deva Curl products and can’t wait to start.

@NovoKodaUnidentified Have you had a hydrating treatment at a salon? Even a keratin replenisher one? 

I have thick curls. Home maintenance, 1x week 10 minutes before shampoo, Redken Bonder and I'll use Keratin Complex's Infusion Therapy - keratin replenisher to perk up curls..you don't need the keratin system to use.

I recently commented on another curly hair post, maybe something from there will help.

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Curly-Hair/Hi-guys/m-p/4173586#M1804

Conversation Stats
  • 10 replies
  • 14 Hearts Given
  • 11 Contributors
Photos3
  • Screenshot (119).png
  • Straight Vs. Curly Hair - When we apply conditioners, deep treatments, masks to straight hair you get more or less even penetration of product; it's a smooth cuticle with no curves preventing absorbtion
  • ☆Please imagine this is actually curly hair☆ On curly hair you have bends and curves which makes it impossible to get full penetration of product. This is the reason those with curly hair are naturally on the more dry side.
testing