Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Curls & Coils

Curl Product Recommendation

I have naturally curly hair that is going through changes as I age. I'd classify my curls as tick ringlets versus kinky curls. I've tried most of the curly hair products on the market - each seem to work for a few months and then the frizzies or flatzies return. I rinse my hair every 6 weeks with an apple cider vinegar rinse to reduce product build up, but I still haven't found a line of shampoo, conditioner, and curl products that consistently work. 

Any advice from other curly haired lovely in the community?   

Curl Product Recommendation

try shea moisture low porosity protein free line, they have a shampoo, conditioner and leave in that works really well. They also have a raw shea butter deep treatment mask that is good. For a little hold/definition without hardening or drying out your curls try Cantu moisturizing twist & lock cream gel works great

Re: Curl Product Recommendation

@PJSPDX If you are interested in Deva Curl as @jozkid suggested to you - I'm a Deva Curl trained stylist (though I am no longer associated with the brand), I trained in NYC at their institute. I can help you find a regime.

Thanks for the offer @GG84 I'm interested in finding products. All ears for recommendations. My cut has been perfected after 20 years with the same stylist. He's amazing...

@PJSPDX

If you are happy doing ACV rinses then continue. From a different prospective they sit at a PH of 6-7. They are not acidic enough to remove buildup of products that contain silicone or waxes. If what you have been trying out and switching to contains either of those ingredients, you may just have product build up. Silicone in hair products can also be called: Methicone, Dimethiconol, Dimethicone Copolyol, Phenyl trimethicone and Cyclomethicone. 

I personally love me some Silicone in my hair products. I'm not against them, I love the feel and shine - I just know I need a good clarify every now and then to remove them. 

Deva Curl, not knowing much about your hair history I would probably go with DEVACURL - Curly Care Kit

It comes with the No-Poo Original and One Condition Original. I do wish it came with Heaven In Hair instead of the Matcha Mask but it's all good regardless. Deva Curl No-poo can be a strange adjustment if you've never used a cleanser like that however rest assured, your hair and scalp are clean despite no lather. 

If you find the Styling cream doesn't give your curls enough hold, Supercream Coconut Styler will give you a stronger (still not crunchy) hold. 

@PJSPDX I get the best results with my curls when I use DevaCurl products. But I will caution you, they are not the easiest products to figure out. The basic items are divided up into curly, coily and wavy, but there are a dizzying number of additional products for styling, masking, buildup etc. 

My suggestion to you is to have your hair done by a Deva certified stylist. If you don’t want a Deva cut (yeah, that’s a thing) perhaps you can just get a shampoo and styling. That way you can find out exactly what products you need, how much to use and in what order to apply them. 

I know this sounds like a lot of work, but the line is very nice and once you’ve got it down you’ll love your curls!

Conversation Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 11 Hearts Given
  • 4 Contributors
testing