Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Curls & Coils
|

Can you help with my daughters hairs?

My daughter and I have very different hair so I try to be proactive about learning how to care for hers. After she started swim hers curls got very dry and never went back to now they were. Also would love any tips on moisturizing it and can anyone identify the curl patterns? It straight at the top but curls at the bottom. Does that mean with every trim we are cutting off curls that won’t ever come back? 😢 The first two photos were her hair before it became dry. The last photo is it now with the dryness and frizz. Didn’t change any products we use on her hair. We use not your mothers shampoo and conditioner, the pink bottle for curly hair and some miss Jessie’s curl cream. Detangling has been hard. When I do coconut oil it gets worse, don’t know why that would be the case, but it is. Help a girl out please!

Can you help with my daughters hairs?

Her hair seems to be type 3A or 3B (similar to mine). The reason her hair is straight at top is because it is being weighed down. Try using less product up top and simply scrunch it into the hair instead. when swimming wet your daughter's hair, apply a deep conditioner, and put her hair in braids. detangling can be difficult, but the best thing to do is to make sure it is conditioned, wet, and work in sections. It may also help if you use a deep conditioner once a week before washing her hair and applying a leave in when you are done. coconut oil is better for those with thinner hair, it is not for everyone. Good luck! ❤ Recommended products: love, beauty, and planet conditioner( gentle conditioner with good slip and smell), devacurl products ( I personally love their super cream), not your mother's curl talk gel ( definition), honey ( good for moisture), and just make sure they have good ingredients ( no sulfates, silicones, or parabens)

Re: Can you help with my daughters hairs?

My hair looked super similar to your daughers when I was younger! I'm so happy you are taking steps to understand how to care for her hair - this is something I really wished my  mom would have done. 

First off, you don't want to shampoo your daughter's hair too frequently, unless it's actually dirty. Over-shampooing curly hair can cause it to dry out pretty quickly. I would shampoo 1-2x a week, and cleanse her hair with a gentle conditionern and water on other days. After you wash out "normal conditioner," apply a quarter-sized amount of leave in conditioner. I really like Shea Moisture's leave in conditioners, because they are are natural, gentle & simple. Curly hair needs lots of moisture!! 

A super cheap/natural way to moisturize your daughters hair would be to get 100% Aloe Vera Juice (I get mine off Amazon or go to Whole Foods) and put it in a spray bottle with 50% water, 50% aloe juice. After you put in her leave in conditioner, gently squeeze the excess water out of her hair, scrunching upwards as you squeeze water out. (Kind of like an accordion motion). Then, I would repeat that "scrunching" process, with paper towels or a t-shirt. (Towels tend to be too rough on curly hair and can cause frizz). Then, mist her hair with the aloe and gently squeeze upwards, scrunching to encourage her hair to curl up more. 🙂

I think her hair is straighter on top because of the weight of her hair is dragging/pulling the curl down. If you add a super light/simple curl product to her hair, (I bet there are some kid friendly products out there that offer a light hold), her curls won't stretch out as much on top and her ringlets will be more even. 

GOOD LUCK!!! 

When I was younger, my grandma used to coat conditioner or coconut oil on my hair and braided it or put it in a bun before I went for a swim to protect my hair from getting dry.  I still do it to this day and I really feel like its made a difference.  My hair is not as curly as your daughters, but it does preserve my waves. My hair is a bit more textured and thick so it leans a bit dry.  When I rinse the chlorine water off it preserves it preserves its softness.  I think the oil protects it from the chemicals. I hope this helps!!! Her hair is so gorgeous!

RE: Re: Can you help with my daughters hairs?

Thank you for this! Super practical tip. Doing it before swim practice this week! Thanks again!

@heyitsRC 

Was this chlorine or salt water? 

RE: Re: Can you help with my daughters hairs?

It was salt water

Re: RE: Re: Can you help with my daughters hairs?

Hi @heyitsRC,

Some brands that I recommend are DevaCurl and Madam CJ Walker Culture So Extra Drenched Hydration Buttery Conditioner. This conditioner detangles and brings back curls. After thoroughly washing her hair, apply the conditioner and comb through her hair. I usually put a plastic shower cap on my head when I condition my hair and then wash it out. I'm not sure if you braid her hair or anything at night but that can help keep it detangled as well. I hope that these suggestions help. 🙂

Best,

Zakiya

7 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 6 Hearts Given
  • 6 Contributors
Photos3
testing