From makeovers to personalized skincare consultations

Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Curls & Coils

Can someone help me figure out what my hair is/what I should be doing with it?

This is a bit of a long read but I'm definitely at a loss for what to do now so I would definitely appreciate anyone reading it and help me out.

When I was a baby/toddler, I had 3b/c hair.  As I grew older, my mom shaved my head and it grew back less curly.  Over time, the hair seemed to get wavy, and we decided it was nothing more than baby hair changing, but looking back, I can see how if I did have still curls. we wouldn't have realized it.

Despite my wavy hair, I always had a halo of flyaway tight curls, and nothing I could do would help them go away.  I also had really bad frizziness as a child, so eventually I started using an anti-frizz cream by Marc Anthony (I didn't realize it at the time but it was also a straightening cream).  As a result, the cream helped minimize the halo a bit, but it definitely never went away.  The biggest difference was probably that it was now wavy as opposed to curly (which blended in more with my hair which the cream had helped turn into loose waves-think 2a/b).

The other day, I washed my hair, but since I wasn't going anywhere after, I didn't bother putting any products in or do anything special.  Later on in the day, I took a look in the mirror, and saw (a very frizzy version of and for the first time) the curls I had when I was a baby.  The curls matched the flyaway hair I was so used to, so I started wondering if it was possible that my hair was still at least a bit curly all along.  I decided to check by putting a bit of the anti-frizz cream in my hair, and almost immediately noticed that it went to the waves I was used to.  (It might be worth mentioning that one of my friends with loosely curly hair also notices her hair going wavy when she uses the cream).

After doing some research online, I decided to try to follow a CG regimen, and the next day, bought some haircare products.  I tested a patch of my hair at the front and it curled beautifully (even if not as tight as before), so needless to say, I was very excited.

However, today when using the products, I noticed that although the very front of my hair was curly, the middle and back were gradually straighter, and the hair at the back was almost straight.  It's probably worth noting that I tried plopping my hair but the shirt I used was tight, so I'm thinking maybe I had my hair (especially at the sides/back) pulled too tight to curl, but I'm not sure if this really is the reason my hair turned out so odd.  

Does anyone know think that this is probably the case?  Should I try waiting until after my hair dries to put products in and not plopping?  I'm really lost here... On one hand, I think that if I do have curly hair I would've figured it out sooner, but on the other, my hair randomly curling the other day and curlly flyaway hair are hard to ignore.  Thank you for any help!

Re: Can someone help me figure out what my hair is/what I should be doing with it?

That happens to me all the time its so annoying, Im currently in a curly/wavy hair battle. But it seems like your hair is pretty constant so it may just be a bad hair day.

Conversation Stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 Hearts Given
  • 2 Contributors
testing