Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Curls & Coils
|

Buildup

I tend to get a bit of buildup in my curly hair, I was wondering what Iโ€™m doing to cause that. Before I started doing the curly girl method and knew I had curly hair I barely ever had any buildup. Is it the products or the way I use them? Also whatโ€™s the best solution to buildup? Thanks๐Ÿ’›

Re: Buildup

@OliviaTallent Products that contain oils and/or butters can build up on your hair, as can dry shampoo if you use it. If you have low porosity hair, you'll suffer from more buildup than other types. Hard water is also a problem (you'll need a chelating shampoo to help with that). 

Any shampoo marked "clarifying" will do the trick, but I recommend OGX Coconut Water Shampoo. It has an ingredient that will remove CG-friendly but non-water-soluble polymers. Since clarifying tends to dry out hair, make sure to follow up with a deep conditioner! Once every 3-4 weeks should suffice. 

@OliviaTallent There are definitely some good clarifying shampoos/treatments that you can use once or twice a week to help keep your hair healthier.  For example, Kenra Clarifying Shampoo, Paul Mitchell Shampoo Two, LIVING PROOF - Perfect Hair Day Triple Detox Shampoo, or DPHUE - Apple Cider Vinegar Hair Rinse Bundle.

Sorry for all the replies! I am new to this and am just l...

Sorry for all the replies! I am new to this and am just learning it out ๐Ÿคฆโ€โ™€๏ธ๐Ÿ˜Š

@CookieGirl1 I saw the ACV wash bundle too! I have had my...

@CookieGirl1 I saw the ACV wash bundle too! I have had my eye on it for weeks because I needed to save up to afford it! But when I read the ingredients, it has silicone in both the rinse and the scrub. I know there are a bunch of theories of what to use or avoid with curly hair. And, I would have been really disappointed if I had both the rinse and scrub with silicone in it. ๐Ÿคท๐Ÿผโ€โ™€๏ธ

@CookieGirl1 I saw the ACV wash bundle too! I have had my eye on it for weeks because I needed to save up to afford it! But when I read the ingredients, it has silicone in both the rinse and the scrub. I know there are a bunch of theories of what to use or avoid with curly hair. And, I would have been really disappointed if I had both the rinse and scrub with silicone in it. ๐Ÿคท๐Ÿผโ€โ™€๏ธ

Buildup

About once a month, I dilute some Apple Cider Vinegar and wash my hair with it. I've read several different opinions on how much to dilute it. I like to use about two tablespoons of ACV per 3/4 - 1 cup of water. When I'm going to wash my hair, I very carefully pour the diluted mix on my head. I try to scrub it like I would have normally done with a cowash or shampoo. When I began doing this, my hair felt almost matted when I rinsed the ACV out of it. I read that you should do a deep condition after doing the ACV wash. The first time I used ACV and a deep condition, my hair was noticeably curlier! I've been using it ever since to "de-gunk" my hair and still loving it!

If you use products that are sulfate-free, you're likely to suffer product buildup. Sulfates can be super drying to your hair, but only if you use them on a regular basis. I've dealt with the same thing. I'd recommend using a shampoo with sulfates every once in a while. If you wash your hair and apply new product every day, then use a sulfate shampoo once a week. If you only wash your hair once a week, then maybe swap in a sulfate shampoo every 3-4 shampoos. There are lots of treatments and residue-busting products, but they're a waste of money. You just need a tad bit of sulfates to bust up the gunk, and you should be fine.

8 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 8 Hearts Given
  • 5 Contributors
testing