cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Curls & Coils

3b curly hair

ghjh

RE: 3b curly hair

My 3b/3c curls in my bang area don't clump at all. Ive tried the denman brush and shingling method and finger coiling and they separate no matter what and just have such frizz. Any tips? I was thinking maybe it isn't holding moisture there?

Re: RE: 3b curly hair

My bangs are my problem area too! I usually use a spray leave-in like the Mielle Organics White Peony Leave-Conditioner, then I'll just smooth a medium-strong hold gel over the section, and after it dries I'll just rub any oil or serum in my hands and I'll scrunch/smooth my bangs! This method gives me great results!SBS-762001.png

RE: Re: RE: 3b curly hair

awesome thanks i'll definitely give it a try!

Re: 3b curly hair

Hi: Shea Moisture has some great leave in's. I also love Kinky Curly Knot Today. Rich Kid Coconut Oil Gel is also now made my list it is super nice. Igreat for 3/4th day hair. If had to pick a favorite it is Knot Today. easy to find at most stores like Target etc.... has great slip, and moisturization, also has marshmallow root extract to help detangle. I have 3a/b fine hair that tangles easily and I swear by it. Hope that helps.

Anonymous Insider

RE: Re: 3b curly hair

I have 3b curly fine hair too! Just started using Shea Moisture and so far I'm happy. I just bought this low porosity shampoo and conditioner w a leave in!

Hi, @brie1579!  @lylysa gives you great recommendations!  I've got a couple of products I really like too.

IGK Rich Kid Coconut Oil Gel

I have a very dry, itchy scalp as well as dry (curly) hair.  I air dry my hair to avoid the heat of a hair dryer, and I don't use any styling tools.  I tried many styling products and really like Kenra Styling Cream until I found Rich Kid.  It's meant for use on hair that is air drying.  My curls are nicely defined and the frizz is virtually nonexistant.  My hair even looks good the next day.  (I wash my hair every other or every third day to help with the dryness.)

Shea Moisture Restorative Conditioner

This is not a leave in conditioner, but it got rid of my itchy scalp.  It is extremely moisturizing.  My hair feels great!  I also use a scalp treatment shampoo by Avalon Organics.

Because of texture, curly hair often has difficulty dispersing natural oils the scalp produces down the actual length of the hair to coat and protect the entire cuticle. 

A leave-in conditioner can definitely be a big help as it won't require being rinsed/removed from hair and weekly use of a deep conditioning mask can also allow for a richer formula extra time to sink into and nourish strands. 

You may want to look into a hair oil as well. Curly hair requires more moisture than straight and even wavy locks to keep smooth and thus retain the integrity of the curl shape, thus oils can be a curly-haired gals best friend because while its consistency may be thin and fluid, its composition is very rich and high in essential fatty acids which is like a shot of hydration.

One of my favorite oils is Living Proof's Nourishing Oil in their Frizz line. It's a silicone-free blend which means there's no worries of an excess of silicones building up on strands and locking out moisture. Typically silicones are used because they smooth the cuticle of the hair and makes locks more manageable; however, too much and they can cause water-impervious bonds to form on hair. Hair needs water/moisture to prevent drying out, and these bonds can prevent water and moisture from absorbing. This blend of oils mimics the composition of natural oils our scalp produces so it's better received by strands and also includes LP's patented molecule (OFPMA) which combats frizz while serving as a buffer for hair to remain smoother for longer periods of time while repelling dust and humidity.

do you have any suggestions of leave ins for dry curly hair? I have an oil that I like but I will try that out as well!

I would checking out brands like Briogeo, Ouidad, Earth's Nectar for leave-ins. For styling products and even shampoo/conditioners dedicated toward curly hair, check out Alterna, DevaCurl, and Madam C.J. Walker Beauty Culture.

Oils themselves can be considered leave-ins and since they're absorbed quickly, they can provide very instant relief to dryness.

Conversation Stats
  • 9 replies
  • 5 Hearts Given
  • 7 Contributors
Photos1
  • SBS-762001.png
testing