Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Curls & Coils
|

my hair has a lot of heat damage and the ends are dry and i don’t know how to style my curly hair.

Spoiler

over the years i’ve never worn my natural curly hair because i don’t know how to style it or keep it place for my hair to look cute and i’ve convinced myself i look better with straight hair. It all lead up to me blow drying and straightening my hair everyday for years and i grew up in a household where no one told me how to properly take care of my hair so years of that with no protection. if anyone could help out on how to repair my hair and/or style my curls it would be great.

5A390460-1E04-4E8A-8DA8-274B036E964B.jpeg

D903AFB1-6975-4191-9361-E2B0B3A38D84.jpeg

 this is a picture of my hair with just water and u can see my ends are very dry.

PLZ HELP ! THANK YOU. 

Re: my hair has a lot of heat damage and the ends are dry and i don’t know how to style my curly hair.

607B59A1-6728-43BF-A6D4-1A0C9CCB6065.jpeg

I love the “Not Your Mother’s” curl line, their hair mask is awesome and their shampoo and conditioner too it’s a good place to start, I also love the hair mask by briogeo too. Once you’re out of the shower don’t brush your hair, finger detangle it in the shower and use a wet brush in the shower if you need to. 
I love the Ouai air dry foam personally, it brings out my waves. Also bumble and bumble has some nice options too. Make sure to use a microfiber towel, or better yet a cotton tshirt to gently scrunch your hair dry.

It will take some getting used to and some trial and error but you’ll eventually find what works best. A nice leave in conditioner is good too for when you just pop out of the shower and won’t weigh your hair down. For waves you want lighter products. If you out in gel don’t be afraid of it getting crunchy, when it is mostly dry just scrunch the crunch out and then separate some waves and then flip your head over and wiggle your fingers at the root to create some volume and flip your hair back over and scrunch a little bit more and see how that works! 
stay away from silicones and sulfates, those will both dry out and weigh down your waves. 
living proof also has a curl line I don’t mind, I’m still trying them out tho honestly so I can’t fully recommend them. Wash your hair less, use a clarifying shampoo once every week or two to get rid of buildup. 

I hope it works out!! 🙂

the picture I added was day one hair, not the greatest angle to see the waves but I was happy with how they turned out 

Re: my hair has a lot of heat damage and the ends are dry and i don’t know how to style my curly hair.

@pargolpn 

You need to add some moisture back into your hair but I would start off first with Olaplex No. 3 Hair Perfector 3.3 oz/ 100 mL follow the directions and use before you shampoo. This will help restore your curl pattern. Then shampoo and condition with shu uemura Urban Moisture Hydro-Nourishing Conditioner 8 oz/ 250 mL  shu uemura Urban Moisture Deep Hydration Shampoo for Dry Hair 10 oz/ 300 mL 

2 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 2 replies
  • 7 Hearts Given
  • 3 Contributors
Photos3
  • 5A390460-1E04-4E8A-8DA8-274B036E964B.jpeg
  • D903AFB1-6975-4191-9361-E2B0B3A38D84.jpeg
  • 607B59A1-6728-43BF-A6D4-1A0C9CCB6065.jpeg