cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Curls & Coils
|

Ride the WAVE with me

Hey all,

My hair was a beautiful 3B my teen and college years. After issues with hormones and kids I have only wave left. It is frustrating not knowing how to style your hair anymore. My hair is now 2B, 2C would be an excellent day.

I plan to have a no-buy for makeup for one year (started Nov 2018) and focus on finding the right hair products. I want to take the process gradually and give things time.

I started using Devacurl in Spring 2018. I had low-poo, one condition, and arc angel gel. My hair looked and felt like straw and was not getting any curl back so I stopped using all three products.

In October I chopped off a lot of hair for donation and hoped to get some bounce back. The stylist (Deva certified) recommended no-poo, one condition, coconut styling cream, and b-leave in gel. The routine was okay but I wanted more out of my hair.

Over the past week I changed my styling product to arc angel gel. I know, I know, the stylist and others have already said it was too heavy for my hair. I just wanted to experiment and find what product caused my hair to turn to straw in the spring. Arc angel seems to be in the clear. But since it isn't helping with any curl, I will pass it on to my 3C/4A mom.

I plan to resume the last routine and see how it goes or if it still seems lackluster. My one condition is almost out but I have a one condition delight. I want to see how my hair reacts to this.

I also have samples of Decadence. I believe it will likely be too heavy but it is time to find what works and what doesn't.

So here begins my hair journey. Hoping to either learn to ride the waves or return to curl.

Re: Ride the WAVE with me

@ShortErica YAY! Thanks for sharing.

Best,

Rebecca

Had a good hair day and tried the red lip again.

Used DEVACURL - Buildup Buster™ Micellar Water Cleansing SerumDEVACURL - One Condition Original Daily Cream Conditioner, and DEVACURL - SUPERCREAM® Coconut Curl Styler

Though I feel like the picture isn't doing justice to the goodness of the waves.

I've had good wave days every time I have used that Build-Up Buster @ShortErica

It's on my list to buy full size next year

It's the one product that I saw a visible difference after 1 use. Glad you like it too @gingerleigh

Need advice!!!

I'm planning to use my Ulta 20% off coupon to try some of the other styling products like DEVACURL - WAVE MAKER™ Touchable Texture Whip. Does anyone have experience with DEVACURL - SUPERCREAM® Coconut Curl Stylervs. DEVACURL - STYLING CREAM Touchable Curl Definer? I've been using the Supercream and it's been fine. I'm not wowed at this point but it does its job. Any reason to try the other cream? Thanks for your help!

I haven't tried any of those, but I have a huge bin of hair product samples, and it's so far been dragged to the floor space around my couch, so any day now I am going to pull all the DevaCurl and other curl brands out of it. I know I have some of those things.

I have shied away a lot from styling products in the past, especially gel and mousse, but getting some wave definition has become more important to me lately, like an actual goal. And I recently got a great tip from hair stylist, one of those things that you feel like you should always have known once you hear it, and that is to use hair oil first before gel to avoid all of that potential crunchiness. So, it feels more possible to actually achieve touchable waves that stick around for a couple days. I'll try to remember to come post about it after I've tried the DevaCurl stuff.

@ShortErica

I can't wait to hear and hopefully see how your hair looks after trying these tips @gingerleigh. I've only ever done a rinse out hot oil..V05 back in the day..and really haven't done that in forever. Haha. I may have to look into it though I haven't really had a crunchy hair day with how I've used the products so far.

That is so encouraging to hear that you haven't had a crunch problem with those products, can't wait to try them out! I sorted through my stuff, will be back to post about which curl things I found in my stash 🙂 @ShortErica

@gingerleigh If you want to avoid 'stiff' and 'crunchy' all together (i'm also a stylist) before you apply your gel, mix a drop or two of oil into the palm of your hands and mix it with the gel - oil breaks down the polymers that give gel the stiffness but will still allow for definition. 

Thank you, I will surely try that out next wash! @GG84

I tried just DEVACURL - One Condition Original Daily Cream Conditionerand DEVACURL - SUPERCREAM® Coconut Curl Styleron Monday.

20181210_123827.jpg20181210_123842.jpg

I think it turned out okay. I've been spraying some John Frieda frizz ease on the ends to help when they dry too fast. My One Condition is almost out and I'm looking forward to testing the One Condition Delight. Maybe the lightness will help my curl. I'll update once I try.

I was supposed to get a Devacut and single process done today but my hair stylist told me that my hair looked perfect at this length. I will let my BIC friends judge.296DE388-39B5-4DA9-8056-461EA84DD637.jpeg

60F919FD-FB2C-46ED-9736-7D128DDB11C5.jpeg

49FAECB5-2D6F-48C2-9312-ACE719D86175.jpeg

RE: Re: Ride the WAVE with me

Fantastic!

@Loretta55 Your hair looks GORGEOUS! Just *slightly* envious. 

Thank you for the kind words @tastelikewater. Now that the weather is cooler I have been diffusing my hair.

@Loretta55  Your hair looks gorgeous!! I can sometimes get this look with my hair, but not always. I hope you like yours because I just love it!! 😊💆‍♀️

Thank you very much @yankeefaithful. I like how it came out but I thought was going to get a haircut. My Devacurl stylist has done this in the past. She also gave me another tip because the side of my head that I sleep on always loses some curl, she told me to wet that area and put in a bit more Wavemaker and scrunch.

Looks like some good 2C/3A curl/wave to me @Loretta55! Is that how you would classify your hair? The cut looks like it is framed nicely around your face/head. But what's most important is that you like it. The length looks very nice to me. 🙂

I feel that my hair is 2b/2c wave pattern @ShortErica. I was anticipating getting my hair cut today so I guess that I was caught off guard. I sat under the dryer for an hour and my hair was not even completely dry. My stylist just difussed my hair dry at that point. 

Well that's disappointing it didn't meet expectations. But I think your hair looks nice. Definitely more wave than I usually get so I may have a bit of curl envy. How much were you hoping to cut and did the stylist give any other comments than it looks nice at its current length?

Now that the weather is cold I diffused my hair today using the Dyson Blow Dryer on the medium heat setting. I feel a bit like Cousin It. The curl/wave pattern is beautiful but I feel like my hair has too much volume. Maybe @ShortErica if you diffuse your hair you may get closer to the look that you are hoping to achieve.

783 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos145
  • 20181120_111654.jpg
  • 20181120_111749.jpg
  • A "good" day: Delight s&c, WaveMaker, Amika gel.
  • 20181122_195439.jpg
  • 45953559-A911-4CE7-9251-2B7B2D50E504.jpeg
  • 0D5A6526-A320-4820-915E-661BEAD0D8F2.jpeg
  • 20181126_132138.jpg
  • 20181126_132142.jpg
  • 20181126_132131.jpg
  • 20181126_132118.jpg
  • 3F1ACBDD-5905-4DED-88A5-28E354193400.jpeg
  • 5DE4FB2F-050E-4AB3-BCC6-F341FDBE9873.jpeg
  • 10698395_10153310875226111_5504507754087887955_n.jpg
testing