cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Curls & Coils
|

Ride the WAVE with me

Hey all,

My hair was a beautiful 3B my teen and college years. After issues with hormones and kids I have only wave left. It is frustrating not knowing how to style your hair anymore. My hair is now 2B, 2C would be an excellent day.

I plan to have a no-buy for makeup for one year (started Nov 2018) and focus on finding the right hair products. I want to take the process gradually and give things time.

I started using Devacurl in Spring 2018. I had low-poo, one condition, and arc angel gel. My hair looked and felt like straw and was not getting any curl back so I stopped using all three products.

In October I chopped off a lot of hair for donation and hoped to get some bounce back. The stylist (Deva certified) recommended no-poo, one condition, coconut styling cream, and b-leave in gel. The routine was okay but I wanted more out of my hair.

Over the past week I changed my styling product to arc angel gel. I know, I know, the stylist and others have already said it was too heavy for my hair. I just wanted to experiment and find what product caused my hair to turn to straw in the spring. Arc angel seems to be in the clear. But since it isn't helping with any curl, I will pass it on to my 3C/4A mom.

I plan to resume the last routine and see how it goes or if it still seems lackluster. My one condition is almost out but I have a one condition delight. I want to see how my hair reacts to this.

I also have samples of Decadence. I believe it will likely be too heavy but it is time to find what works and what doesn't.

So here begins my hair journey. Hoping to either learn to ride the waves or return to curl.

Re: Ride the WAVE with me

I love your new cut, @CarolBT!

@CarolBT , I have a couple of questions. How do you plan on styling your hair? Do you plan on diffusing your hair or letting it air dry? I am always looking for reliable styling products but I can recommend styling refreshers. I like OUAI Mini Wave Spray 1.7 oz/ 50 mL and DevaCurl MIST-ER RIGHT® Dream Curl Refresher 12 oz/ 355 mL . 

@Loretta55 probably both! Depending on the day, event, or mood. I diffused it this morning and the curls were not as defined as when the stylist did it, so I think there is some sort of product she used that I need to get. Maybe a paste sort of thing? I think I have the Ouai spray in one of my product stashes! Will need to dig and find it (low spend/no spend). 

@CarolBT , are you scrunching your hair styling products? I noticed that after I apply my styling products I section my hair to scrunch curls in my hair. I try to take my time scrunching my hair into curls and then depending on how much time I have I will either diffuse my hair or just let it air dry.
I find that my hair does not like paste products. Unfortunately it will involve a lot of trial and error to find the best products for your hair. 

@CarolBT - I love your new shorter hair!  You look great!  I'm with @ather on the Bumble and bumble Surf Styling Leave In 5 oz/ 150 mL.  I also like DevaCurl B'LEAVE-IN™ Miracle Curl Plumper and Seed Phytonutrients Anti-Frizz Cream.

@CarolBT  Wow!! You look amazing with short hair!!!! I’ve been using Bumble and bumble Surf Spray 4 oz/ 125 mL  and Bumble and bumble Surf Styling Leave In 5 oz/ 150 mL  the spray I’m not totally in love with but I’m loving the leave in. I’ve got super fine hair so I don’t like to have it to weighed down.

Oh @ather , thanks for the reco on the Bumble and Bumble leave-in! I'll check it out. 

@CarolBT Wow that is a lot.  You look gorgeous.

Yes, so much @SportyGirly125 ! I need to figure out where I can donate it. 

And thank you for such kind words 😍

I started to get frustrated with my hair because it was getting weighed down and I was having a hard time getting curl clumps to form. I finally was able to get my hair cut, color touch up and Olaplex 1&2 treatments and my hair looks alive again.

8AA91E15-B353-48D8-BFC9-58A2507CAFC9.jpeg

853B0893-8407-41B5-BA19-ED8890B12F23.jpeg

@Loretta55  Looks sooo good!! I just got the Olaplex 6 hoping it also helps with my damaged hair!!

Hope the Olaplex helps @ather. Thank you very much!

@Loretta55 Your curls looks so healthy and lively! Glad you're feeling better about them. 

Thank you very much @tastelikewater.

I always love seeing your post hair-cut pictures @Loretta55. Gorgeous as always!

Thank you very much @ShortErica.

@Loretta55 - Your hair looks great!  The curls are beautiful!  I also love your shirt.  😉

Thank you very much @Titian06. The shirt is actually a hairdresser’s top that I purchased many years ago when I thought about a cosmetology carrier. I never received my license. It was during that time I realized how bad my eyesight really was.

Testing the new Living Proof wavy sample set, and so far so good! I’ve been topping the Curl Definer with my usual Ouidad gel, still trying to find the sweet spot of how much product is too much. I diffused a bit just to see what would happen, which could account for some of those flyaways. This is it fully dry, tousled and the slightest touch of oil to scrunch out the crunch. I’m ok with the haphazardness of it!

@ShortErica @Loretta55 @Titian06 @jozkid how has your hair behaved recently?

4EE4B851-C94B-4FC5-8D52-3B22D78E99A3.jpeg

B0396B4D-0DA6-44DB-9260-5449994BE4B9.jpeg

Your hair looks great @tastelikewater! I have a bunch of pictures I took but now I don't know if I can remember which products go with which picture. 😂 My hair has been the last priority lately. Sick kiddos - ugh! So I can't blame it completely if I'm not doing my part. I also really need to get a cut too. I gotta catch up on what you've posted so I can see what you've tried and what's working!

Aw, so sorry about your kiddos! I hope everyone is on the mend. 

Conversation Stats
Photos145
  • 20181120_111654.jpg
  • 20181120_111749.jpg
  • A "good" day: Delight s&c, WaveMaker, Amika gel.
  • 20181122_195439.jpg
  • 45953559-A911-4CE7-9251-2B7B2D50E504.jpeg
  • 0D5A6526-A320-4820-915E-661BEAD0D8F2.jpeg
  • 20181126_132138.jpg
  • 20181126_132142.jpg
  • 20181126_132131.jpg
  • 20181126_132118.jpg
  • 3F1ACBDD-5905-4DED-88A5-28E354193400.jpeg
  • 5DE4FB2F-050E-4AB3-BCC6-F341FDBE9873.jpeg
  • 10698395_10153310875226111_5504507754087887955_n.jpg
testing