cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Curls & Coils
|

Ride the WAVE with me

Hey all,

My hair was a beautiful 3B my teen and college years. After issues with hormones and kids I have only wave left. It is frustrating not knowing how to style your hair anymore. My hair is now 2B, 2C would be an excellent day.

I plan to have a no-buy for makeup for one year (started Nov 2018) and focus on finding the right hair products. I want to take the process gradually and give things time.

I started using Devacurl in Spring 2018. I had low-poo, one condition, and arc angel gel. My hair looked and felt like straw and was not getting any curl back so I stopped using all three products.

In October I chopped off a lot of hair for donation and hoped to get some bounce back. The stylist (Deva certified) recommended no-poo, one condition, coconut styling cream, and b-leave in gel. The routine was okay but I wanted more out of my hair.

Over the past week I changed my styling product to arc angel gel. I know, I know, the stylist and others have already said it was too heavy for my hair. I just wanted to experiment and find what product caused my hair to turn to straw in the spring. Arc angel seems to be in the clear. But since it isn't helping with any curl, I will pass it on to my 3C/4A mom.

I plan to resume the last routine and see how it goes or if it still seems lackluster. My one condition is almost out but I have a one condition delight. I want to see how my hair reacts to this.

I also have samples of Decadence. I believe it will likely be too heavy but it is time to find what works and what doesn't.

So here begins my hair journey. Hoping to either learn to ride the waves or return to curl.

Re: Ride the WAVE with me

Adding - I think you are out of your hair rut! What a difference from just a few weeks!

Your hair looks gorgeous @tastelikewater. Thank you very much for the review of the new LP Wavy sample set.

I have an appointment for haircut and color on Friday weather permitting. My hair has been behaving. I have been watching videos on YouTube styling wavy hair. I am always looking for ways to minimize frizz.

Looks beautiful, @tastelikewater! I'm glad the new line is working well.

@tastelikewater - Your hair looks awesome!  Thanks for your thoughts on the new LP products.  I'm interested in trying them.  I still haven't had my hair cut, though I'm getting closer.  Today I'm trying Seed Phytonutrients Anti-Frizz Smoothing Cream.  It's really brought out the waves and curls, no frizz or flyaways, and my hair is so soft, not hard and crunchy.  I also got samples of the Anti-Frizz Shampoo and Conditioner, which I haven't tried yet.

Better results today! Showered last night, applied my products on soaking wet hair with my head flipped upside-down (smoothing and scrunching, no raking). No diffusing, because my hair is so fine that most any blow-drying causes surface frizz. So my hair wasn't fully dry when I went to bed, but it only required minimal wetting and reshaping this morning.

Herbal Essences Honey & Vitamin B shampoo and conditioner, Ouidad Curl Shaper Memory Maker 3-in-1 Revitalizing Milk (dislike the scent but I'm going to use it up anyway), Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Heat & Humidity Gel.

95B9624F-243B-499D-B1D4-A1A6F1EF2DC2.jpeg

Hey curlies! Hope you're all doing well. Anyone else in a bit of a hair rut? Comparing my hair now to last year's pictures around this time, it looks like I'm lacking moisture and definition. The difference? Last year I was still using Deva 😞 

*edit* Wowie this lighting makes my hair look so silver! It's not quite that grey yet...I think...

3C8497C9-9DE6-447D-B57C-C8640E169883.jpeg

@tastelikewater - Yes, I can identify!  I'm in a hair rut, too.  It's because the air is so dry.  My hair is so straight, I don't have waves, I have ripples!  I've been letting it grow for lack of anything better to do.  😁

@Titian06 The dry air definitely doesn't help! I need to let mine grow because my stylist cut it way too short last time. You know when they make the perfect snip, but then begin to layer, and then even out the sides, and all of a sudden you've lost another inch? Yeeeaaaahhhh that was me 😆

A147ADE2-A039-441B-88D4-BDBC9FEC28F5.jpeg

6134C942-748B-4FDB-95C0-5997A44F504B.jpeg

Had my cut and color touch up done yesterday. Turns out that my hair was too bulky. I felt that I was unable to get good curl/wave definition. I am very happy with the results.

pretty curly hair😍😍😍

Your hair looks great, @Loretta55!

Thank you very much @curlychiquita.

WHOA! Look at that definition. I love when you share your haircut pictures @Loretta55 - so beautiful!

Thank you very much @ShortErica.

@Loretta55 - Your hair is gorgeous!  Isn't it amazing what a cut can do?  💖💖💖

Thank you very much @Titian06

Hi guys! I know, I’ve been MIA for way too long again. But I saw this thread and wanted to tell you about something that’s really been working for me.  You’ve probably seen this on your Facebook feed or somewhere else at some point. I’d been very curious about it so I gave it a shot. I ordered the LUS system and I’ve been really happy with it!  I had developed a very itchy flaky scalp while using DevaCurl and since I’ve been using this, it’s almost completely gone. Besides that, my curls look way more moisturized and healthy. If you’ve been looking for something that’s Curly Girl friendly, and you had to break up with DevaCurl, I highly recommend giving this a try. I’ll try to remember to take a pic of my hair soon!

Ok, here are some pics as promised. This is using the LUS system the other day. Three products, no more than that. They have a shampoo, a conditioner, and three stylers (one for wavy, one for curly, one for coily). This is using the wavy styler. For any Deva users, it works similarly in that it is water activated. The scent is mild, like baby powder, and does not linger. The shampoo lathers, but it is a very low lather. I rather like the conditioner — it’s very moisturizing without being too heavy. All products are curly girl friendly without sulfates and silicones and the like. The biggest difference with this is that your hair does NOT end up crunchy or sticky. There are a few additional products to their line like a deep conditioner and oil, but you can get by with the three basics. They are located in Canada (yay for you Canadian curlies!) but the shipping is fast to the US. They also have a sample pack to try out, but I don’t know what the shipping is if you don’t hit the minimum for free shipping. 

Anyway, here ya go! I do like the results and as I said, I’m no longer having the horrible itchy scaly scalp issues I had developed with Deva. I gave a side shot of my head too which is frighteningly grayer than I thought, but will give you an idea of how the curls look there. 

808B50EC-137F-43DF-B8DB-036FC2FF41F5.jpeg

B9758489-7846-46B2-A405-3DF64976481C.jpeg

Thank you @jozkid! Always live your pics and smiling face. Is there a reason you went with the wavy style vs the curl one? Your hair looks really nice!

@ShortErica It’s funny you asked that. LUS has very good customer service and you can email them photos of your hair so they can advise you which styler you should get. They advised wavy. However, I thought they were maybe wrong, so I ordered both. I started with the wavy, but thought it left my hair too frizzy. So I started using curly. Which gave me better defined curls, but didn’t leave my hair feeling voluminous enough. So I tried the wavy again and experimented with the amount I was using. Turned out I needed more than I had been (they recommend using small amounts because its concentrated). As anything else, there was a little learning curve. Maybe I’ll try the curly again if it gets very humid and I need more control. Or combine the two kinds. But it turned out they were right. 😉

Good to know! I know we all have multiple different wave/curl patterns on our head but I definitely see the ringlet shape and not just "S" waves for your hair so I figured I'd ask. Thanks for sharing about their customer service. I'm thinking this will go on my Christmas list @jozkid 

Conversation Stats
Photos145
  • 20181120_111654.jpg
  • 20181120_111749.jpg
  • A "good" day: Delight s&c, WaveMaker, Amika gel.
  • 20181122_195439.jpg
  • 45953559-A911-4CE7-9251-2B7B2D50E504.jpeg
  • 0D5A6526-A320-4820-915E-661BEAD0D8F2.jpeg
  • 20181126_132138.jpg
  • 20181126_132142.jpg
  • 20181126_132131.jpg
  • 20181126_132118.jpg
  • 3F1ACBDD-5905-4DED-88A5-28E354193400.jpeg
  • 5DE4FB2F-050E-4AB3-BCC6-F341FDBE9873.jpeg
  • 10698395_10153310875226111_5504507754087887955_n.jpg
testing