cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Curls & Coils
|

Ride the WAVE with me

Hey all,

My hair was a beautiful 3B my teen and college years. After issues with hormones and kids I have only wave left. It is frustrating not knowing how to style your hair anymore. My hair is now 2B, 2C would be an excellent day.

I plan to have a no-buy for makeup for one year (started Nov 2018) and focus on finding the right hair products. I want to take the process gradually and give things time.

I started using Devacurl in Spring 2018. I had low-poo, one condition, and arc angel gel. My hair looked and felt like straw and was not getting any curl back so I stopped using all three products.

In October I chopped off a lot of hair for donation and hoped to get some bounce back. The stylist (Deva certified) recommended no-poo, one condition, coconut styling cream, and b-leave in gel. The routine was okay but I wanted more out of my hair.

Over the past week I changed my styling product to arc angel gel. I know, I know, the stylist and others have already said it was too heavy for my hair. I just wanted to experiment and find what product caused my hair to turn to straw in the spring. Arc angel seems to be in the clear. But since it isn't helping with any curl, I will pass it on to my 3C/4A mom.

I plan to resume the last routine and see how it goes or if it still seems lackluster. My one condition is almost out but I have a one condition delight. I want to see how my hair reacts to this.

I also have samples of Decadence. I believe it will likely be too heavy but it is time to find what works and what doesn't.

So here begins my hair journey. Hoping to either learn to ride the waves or return to curl.

Re: Ride the WAVE with me

My mom had some serious curls as a kid (I have a pic of her looking like a perfect curly-sue doll), but has blown out her hair for most of my life. I wish she'd give into her curls too! My hair has curl-ambition but straight/coarse reality. It's a frizzy/crazy mix! It's definitely a surprise how greys come in @jozkid! Mine are all just around my face, and seem to prefer to stay short and so far very straight. 

Mine are mostly around my face too @NotCrocker. I look like I have a completely different hair color in back. My grays are crazy. Some are curly, some are straight. All are coarse and unruly. ๐Ÿคช

It does amuse me though. I get a lot of random compliments on my hair from strangers. โ˜บ๏ธ

@jozkid I just did a double take at this thread, I almost didn't recognize you!!

Crazy huh @GG84? ๐Ÿ˜

Wow you look different with straight hair @jozkid. Do you ever let your hair completely air dry?

on a different subject my Shiseido order which shipped from Ohio just turned in the opposite direction. It took a 8 hour trip to the next large town to the west. 

I do sometimes @Loretta55, but it gets fuller when I diffuse. Curls stay more defined when I air dry. It really depends on if I have time to let it air dry. 

Shiseido is just playing with you now. I never understand the shipping patterns

I have the same experience with my hair @jozkid. I am getting my hair colored and cut this week so I am letting my hair air dry today. It probably will not be dry until I am ready to go to bed. We have heavy rain today. I did do a deep conditioner with Devacurl Heaven in Hair. I sat under a heat bonnet for about 45 minutes.

RE: Ride the WAVE with me

Well, I guess determining which products *donโ€™t* work together can be as helpful as which ones do ๐Ÿ˜‚ Todayโ€™s second-day hair is not working for me. Deva Delight shampoo and conditioner, Deva volumizing foam on the top 1/3rd, Amika gel on the bottom 2/3rds. (Picture deliberately lightened to get a better view of the mess that is my head)

Re: RE: Ride the WAVE with me

Sorry to hear you didn't have a satisfying hair day. But yes, finding the losers is half the battle!

Re: RE: Ride the WAVE with me

Even though your curls did not come out to play today @tastelikewater, your hair has a pretty soft bend to it. Your hair looks so shiny and healthy.

Today was no-poo, one condition, super cream and b'leave-in.

I feel like my front hair needs something.20181126_132138.jpg

20181126_132142.jpg

Versus underneath has better wave20181126_132131.jpg

20181126_132118.jpg

@Loretta55 and @tastelikewater I'm thinking when I get my next trim I will opt for some more face framing pieces. I always want an easy ponytail but I think the hair in front is the part that has the least curl. I've been bad and leaving at the last minute for work and haven't had to time to readjust my hair before I head out the door.

@ShortErica I have the same problem with a slightly "fuzzier" front section and smoother waves and curls underneath. When that happens I often re-wet just that section (with a spray bottle or straight from the sink) and scrunch in a tiny bit of product. It normally helps reintegrate that section with the rest of my hair. 

Your hair looks nice @ShortErica. May you need to spray a curl activator like Devacurl Mister Roght or Devacurl Curlmaker. When my curls/waves go flat I will spray one of the products that I just mentioned and then scrunch my hair lightly to get the definition back.

Great thread @ShortErica

I have been wearing my hair wavy a lot more recenelty, it takes much less time than blow drying and straightening, and itโ€™s better for my hair since Iโ€™m not constantly damaging it with heat. 

I like switching up my shampoo and conditioner based on my hair needs, so I use the BRIOGEO - Rosarcoโ„ข Repair Shampoo and BRIOGEO - Rosarcoโ„ข Repair Conditioner for daily use and about once a week I use the Briogeo Scalp Revival Charcoal + Coconut Oil Micro-exfoliating Scalp Scrub Shampoo 8 oz/ 236 mLand the Briogeo Don't Despair, Repair!โ„ข Deep Conditioning Hair Mask 8 oz/ 237 mL

while my hair is still damp I use the DEVACURL - WAVE MAKERโ„ข Touchable Texture Whip. I start by rubbing a quarter sized dollop between my fingers, and then gently running that through my strands to get an even application. I like to hold my hair upside down for this part. I scrunch my hair to bring it all together and then part it where I want and let it air dry. I try not to touch it after that because the more I touch and play with it, the more frizz and flyaways I get. 

I also use Olaplex No. 3 Hair Repair Perfector 3.3 oz / 100 mL once a week for about an hour before washing it out; this helps to repair damage and maintain healthy hair follicles so it can continue to grow โ˜บ๏ธ 45953559-A911-4CE7-9251-2B7B2D50E504.jpeg

0D5A6526-A320-4820-915E-661BEAD0D8F2.jpeg

On days when my hair is dry and needs some extra moisture I use either BRIOGEO - Rosarco Milkโ„ข Reparative Leave-In Conditioning Sprayor ALTERNA Haircare CAVIAR Anti-Agingยฎ Replenishing Moisture CC Cream 5.1 oz / 150 mL, I love both of these leave in conditioners very much! 

@bakeamuffin I continue to be in complete awe of your gorgeous hair โค๏ธ

@tastelikewater โค๏ธโค๏ธ You always have such kind things to say, thank you! ๐Ÿ’—

@bakeamuffin, your hair looks beautiful wavy - and it's gotten so long! Wow! Very pretty!

Thank you @itsfi! ๐Ÿ˜„ I love that you noticed itโ€™s growth โ˜บ๏ธ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ’— Iโ€™ve been working so hard on keepinggnit healthy so it could grow. 

@bakeamuffin I love your hair! I might have to try some of your tips. I bought the Olaplex but I haven't used it yet.

Thank you so much @makeitup305! I hope youโ€™ll enjoy the Olaplex No. 3 Hair Repair Perfector 3.3 oz / 100 mLwwhen you have a chance to use it, I found using it consistently once a week to yield the best results โ˜บ๏ธ

Conversation Stats
Photos145
  • 20181120_111654.jpg
  • 20181120_111749.jpg
  • A "good" day: Delight s&c, WaveMaker, Amika gel.
  • 20181122_195439.jpg
  • 45953559-A911-4CE7-9251-2B7B2D50E504.jpeg
  • 0D5A6526-A320-4820-915E-661BEAD0D8F2.jpeg
  • 20181126_132138.jpg
  • 20181126_132142.jpg
  • 20181126_132131.jpg
  • 20181126_132118.jpg
  • 3F1ACBDD-5905-4DED-88A5-28E354193400.jpeg
  • 5DE4FB2F-050E-4AB3-BCC6-F341FDBE9873.jpeg
  • 10698395_10153310875226111_5504507754087887955_n.jpg
testing