cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Curls & Coils
|

Ride the WAVE with me

Hey all,

My hair was a beautiful 3B my teen and college years. After issues with hormones and kids I have only wave left. It is frustrating not knowing how to style your hair anymore. My hair is now 2B, 2C would be an excellent day.

I plan to have a no-buy for makeup for one year (started Nov 2018) and focus on finding the right hair products. I want to take the process gradually and give things time.

I started using Devacurl in Spring 2018. I had low-poo, one condition, and arc angel gel. My hair looked and felt like straw and was not getting any curl back so I stopped using all three products.

In October I chopped off a lot of hair for donation and hoped to get some bounce back. The stylist (Deva certified) recommended no-poo, one condition, coconut styling cream, and b-leave in gel. The routine was okay but I wanted more out of my hair.

Over the past week I changed my styling product to arc angel gel. I know, I know, the stylist and others have already said it was too heavy for my hair. I just wanted to experiment and find what product caused my hair to turn to straw in the spring. Arc angel seems to be in the clear. But since it isn't helping with any curl, I will pass it on to my 3C/4A mom.

I plan to resume the last routine and see how it goes or if it still seems lackluster. My one condition is almost out but I have a one condition delight. I want to see how my hair reacts to this.

I also have samples of Decadence. I believe it will likely be too heavy but it is time to find what works and what doesn't.

So here begins my hair journey. Hoping to either learn to ride the waves or return to curl.

Re: Ride the WAVE with me

Sorry I thought that I answered your question @ShortErica. I never noticed that particular problem with my ends. The final area of my hair to dry is always at my scalp. Do you color your hair? You may need to use a deeper conditioner once in awhile. I like Devacurl Heaven in Hair and I also like Melt Into Moisture. I use them once a month.

That's another frustration of mine. I've never colored my hair or used heat styling so it shouldn't be damaged. A few years ago a stylist told me my hair was healthy but who knows what condition it is in now. I tried a SheaMoisture deep conditioner but it had shea butter and was too heavy. Thanks for your suggestions. I used to do V05 hot oil treatments but don't even remember when and why I stopped. Thanks again for all your insight!

VO5 that brings back memories @ShortErica. My mom used that all of the time. 

I think you may have answered your own question. I remember after I had my son, I had problems with my hair’s curl pattern also. Back then I would perm my hair into a short afro. I saw a picture of that hair style in my salon’s wall and I knew it would be the perfect hair style for me. I would get a perm every 4 months but after my pregnancy my hair would not hold a curl. It took about 2.5 years after I stopped nursing for my hair to look decent again. I only got a perm one more time after my curl returned but I realized that I needed to change my hair style. My best hair style has always been some version of a shag.

Dang those kids! But I have to say they are worth it. Though maybe I'd consider trading one of the twins to get gorgeous curls back..just kidding! I'm trying to be patient and just work with what I have now. 😊

You have twins! I complained about only one very active son. When he realized how his feet worked he took off running. Unfortunately he developed a beer habit after college and my very fit son is now a bit overweight with a big belly. 

Give it time and your hair will look better. It appears long enough to wear in a ponytail @ShortErica 

Oh wow @Loretta55! I'm sure time will fly though my boys are only 2. And yep, running everywhere. Haha. I work out so that's always one of my hair requirements - the ability to have a ponytail.

Time does fly by @ShortErica. Enjoy your boys. Before you know it they will be grown young men. I feel that one of the prettiest hair style any woman could wear is a ponytail. My hair was too short at that time to wear in a ponytail.

6 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos145
  • 20181120_111654.jpg
  • 20181120_111749.jpg
  • A "good" day: Delight s&c, WaveMaker, Amika gel.
  • 20181122_195439.jpg
  • 45953559-A911-4CE7-9251-2B7B2D50E504.jpeg
  • 0D5A6526-A320-4820-915E-661BEAD0D8F2.jpeg
  • 20181126_132138.jpg
  • 20181126_132142.jpg
  • 20181126_132131.jpg
  • 20181126_132118.jpg
  • 3F1ACBDD-5905-4DED-88A5-28E354193400.jpeg
  • 5DE4FB2F-050E-4AB3-BCC6-F341FDBE9873.jpeg
  • 10698395_10153310875226111_5504507754087887955_n.jpg
testing