Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Curls & Coils
|

Healthy curls

What are good products to help get back curls! I love oils but every single one I use makes my hair very greasy. 

Re: Healthy curls

I agree to everything Siri said. But since you mentioned that you used oil at some point, I’d also make sure you’re clarifying your scalp from any buildup. You can do that weekly or biweekly or monthly depending on your activity level, products and the weather (sweat and oil build up on your scalp and it hurts your curls health to the point that it could even lead to hair fall). I like Bumble & Bumble’s clarifying shampoo.

I’ve found it depends on what you’re missing. (My cousins and I all faced dry, lifeless hair that fell out faster than we wanted it to during the pandemic).

I’d start by addressing the following issues:

1) Vitamin intake. Especially Vitamin D which we all have low quantities of due to tons of pandemic isolation indoors is critical for our bodies to absorb other nutrients. Iron deficiencies (common in women naturally and made worse by vitamin D deficiencies) will also keep hair follicles from getting blood circulation and affect hair fall rates and pigmentation. Thus making hair weaker and limper. So it may be useful to have a PCP run a vitamin panel (looking at iron, vitamin B and vitamin D for sure).

2) Ceramide levels in your hair. Ceramides are necessary for creating hair structure that allows your hair to hold the hydration it needs. Which in turn is useful for allowing the protein to provide the curl structure to your hair. A lot of deep conditioning hair masks have ceramides so make sure you use one that does to prep your hair for any other treatment you send it’s way. 

3) Balanced and Sufficient Protein and Moisture. For this I use #the ordinary’s multi-peptide serum and #the ordinary natural moisturizing factors serum. I find that the two work best in concert with each other for my hair. But you may want to experiment with your own. I also use the biossance 100% squalane oil in my hair.

The combination of these things has brought my curls and waves (for 3b-3c hair) back to life and has also made my hair healthier and shiny. I’m seeing new growth, thicker hair and better curl definition. And saw results starting about 1 month after starting a good vitamin regimen and 1.5 weeks after starting the serums. 

Verb ghost oil is very good. Try using it from mid length to ends after your hair is dry. 

Conversation Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 4 Hearts Given
  • 4 Contributors
testing