Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Complexion Club

makeup

I need so much help finding a full coverage everything. I'm 45 so finding makeup that doesn't make me look older. or too cakey is almost impossible.

Re: makeup

@tkerns Are you sure you need full coverage? I'm in my late 40s and quit using liquid and cream foundations about 2 years ago. Now I occasionally use a tinted moisturizer for sheer coverage, just to blur the lines between my skin tones while my skincare routine brings those tones closer together. (I rely mostly on retinol and niacinamide to do that heavy lifting.) My current favorite tinted moisturizer is Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer Natural Skin Perfector 5W1 Tan : it adapts well to my skin tone(s) and gives me a natural finish. Many folks love NARS Pure Radiant Tinted Moisturizer. 

When I need more coverage—usually to mask my dark hollow tear troughs, or to cover acne scars—I just spot-conceal. My current favorite concealers for that are BECCA Cosmetics Ultimate Coverage Longwear Concealer Cinnamon and PAT McGRATH LABS Sublime Perfection Concealer MD23 . But I frequently test other concealers. 

To set my concealer, I use the original translucent loose powder version of By Terry Hyaluronic Hydra-Powder. There's a new pressed powder compact version; I'm waiting for mine to arrive in the mail so I can try it out. I love the loose powder because it never makes me look cakey, and I need just the teeniest tiniest amount to set concealer in my tear troughs all day, even on swelteringly hot and humid days when everything else has melted off my face. 🤣 

Oh, and I sometimes use a powder foundation instead of a tinted moisturizer, especially if I need to tone down the shine of a particular sunscreen. This is something I recommend only if your skincare routine gives you well hydrated and moisturized skin. But the one I use is By Terry Terrybly Densiliss Compact Lifting Foundation—even though it contains fragrance ingredients my skin normally doesn't like. It never makes my dry zones look dry, and it perfectly blurs the lines between my skin tones. 

Hi @tkerns!

Having a good skincare and prep routine can help give you a much nicer base to work on.  Some products just don't work well together and that could be one of the problems causing the cakey foundation.

You could check out the Sephora Instagram IGTV tutorials or theVirtual Masterclass Thread for free masterclasses.  You can find free masterclasses on the Eventbrite website as well.

If you visit some official websites like Huda or Farmacy, they have 1-on-1 free consultations to help you pick out some products.

@tkerns I use Huda Faux Filter foundation.  I am in my 50s and I love the coverage. 

Conversation Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 3 Hearts Given
  • 4 Contributors
testing