Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Complexion Club
|

Vitamin C serum + sunspots!

In the spring I added serum (specifically Ole Henriksen’s Vitamin C truth serum) to my skin care routine. Lady Gaga’s make up artist has used that on her for her more natural makeup looks. As soon as I learn that I knew I had to buy it.

At first I loved it— it brought out some of my freckles, which I love. But as the months went by I noticed sunspots started appearing on my naturally fair but somewhat tan skin. I’m really good about wearing and reapplying sunscreen on my face (SPF 40) and have never had sunspots or discoloration in my life. The only thing that’s really changed is the vitamin C serum, which I put on in the mornings. I stopped the serum a little over a week ago and the sun spots haven’t gone away even though I use toner and exfoliate. I am only 32 and feel like I’m too young to be developing sunspots all of a sudden. 

Has anyone had this problem with vitamin C serum? What would you suggest to fix some spots and discoloration?  

Thanks so much!

Re: Vitamin C serum + sunspots!

@DogeMomma 

Are you using any other products/ ingredients that could be reacting badly when used with the Vitamin C serum?

@DogeMomma Vitamin C definitely shouldn't be creating sunspots since it is a tyrosinase inhibitor which actually reduces the amount of melanin being produced in your skin - it should actually have the opposite effect where it brightens and reduces hyper pigmentation.  

I have no idea what would be causing the sun spots but did want to flag the above. 

I suggest the Tatcha The Rice Polish Foaming Enzyme Powder it is a physical, yet foamy exfoliator. You can use it a step before your chemical exfoliator toner that you already use.

The White Classic one is for normal skin, the Green Deep one is for oily skin, the Purple Gentle one is for dry skin, and the Blue Calming one is for sensitive skin. I have oily skin, so I use the Green Deep version and my dark spots have been fading. You only pour a half teaspoon into your hand and use your other hand to drip in droplets of water, rub your hands together, it'll become a thick foam, rub into your face for 20 seconds, then rinse off your face. It makes my face matte. I love it so much! It's pricey but you only use a half teaspoon at a time and it lasts months.

Oh no! So sorry that happened to you. Now I'm concerned, cos I ordered the OLEHENRIKSEN 3 Little Wonders™ and it's supposed to arrive today. Hope that doesn't happen to me! I'll try it, tho.

Hi! I am a huge Ole fan, and an even bigger Gaga fan, so I also had to try out this serum! I noticed a similar effect on my skin, and generally a more orange-y tint to my skin.  I recently switched to the Sephora Collection Ultra Glow Serum and I have noticed all the brightening effects of Vitamin C without the weird orange cast - and cheaper too! 

I'm using the OLEHENRIKSEN Truth Serum® 1 oz/ 30 mL now, as well. How long had you been using it when you noticed the orange cast?

Conversation Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 4 Hearts Given
  • 6 Contributors
testing