Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Complexion Club
|

The Plague of the Laugh Lines

After crossing the threshold into 26, my oily and already acne-prone decided to bust out some hormonal acne. The dermatologist put me on spironolactone and Eupiduo, which has really helped with the acne but has left me with skin akin to the Sahara. Ladies, this means I now have an epic creasing problem. 

To make matters worse, I have a lot of hyperpigmentation from over a decade of acne, which means I need a medium to full coverage foundation. However, most of the full-coverage options are too drying. I've tried using more watery formulas, but have found that they don't have the coverage I need, and, oh boy, does that watery stuff just love to find your wrinkles and then SIT RIGHT IN 'EM. Right now, I just try to not put much product around my mouth and only use a Beauty Blender. It doesn't work. Also, concealers are out for the blemish control, since they all spark apocalyptic breakouts on me. 

Solutions? Ideas? Similar laments?

I'm supposed to keep my skin care very simple while on medication – a non-comedogenic moisturizer (I use Philosophy's Renewed Hope in a Jar and Belief's Moisturizing Eye Balm; plus a green tea face mask twice a week) and a very bare-bones cleanser (I use Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Cleanser) – so trying to fix the problem with skincare isn't an option.

Here is my current makeup routine for my complexion if you're curious:
• Smashbox Photo Finish Primer (Silicone base helps with the wrinkles.)
• Make Up For Ever Mat + Velvet Foundation (Perfect foundation! I would just use this, but alas, they do not even have a close match for very fair skin with yellow undertones.)
• Make Up For Ever Ultra HD Foundation (Exact skin-color match, but unfortunately, settles right into those creases. Also, does not have any coverage, and the more I try to build it up, the more creasy and slippery things get. So, I mix this with the Mat + Velvet. Not great, but it's the best I can do.)
• IT Cosmetics Bye-Bye Pores Pressed Powder (I press this into my laugh-lines after priming and then again after foundation application. It does a decent job, but I still crease after a few hours.)
• Physicians Formula Airbrushing Pressed Mineral Powder (I only pop this on my forehead. Any more and my skin is back to doing its best prune impression).

RE: The Plague of the Laugh Lines

Also- the acne cleanser is probably WAY too harsh on your skin....I’d use something gentler like the Philosophy or FAB face wash

RE: The Plague of the Laugh Lines

Girl, I am right there with you...my doctor put me in Spirinactone and my face cleared up immediately but it’s insanely dry. I’ve been using the Dr Jart Ceramidin line for about a year now, and it helps so much (especially the gel cream). I’ve also had really good luck with the Lancôme Teint idole foundation if you can find it in your shade, but I’ve found that the Smashbox primer dries me out even more (I like to use Benefit Porefessional in my T zone, then hourglass mineral foundation everywhere else)

Re: RE: The Plague of the Laugh Lines

Thanks for all of the great suggestions, friend! This is really helpful.

It doesn't look as though the  Lancôme Teint Idole comes in my shade, but I'll definitely look into the primers as well as the Dr. Jart+ Ceramidin line. I'll start testing some gentler face washes, too.

3 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 Hearts Given
  • 2 Contributors
testing