Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Complexion Club
|

SOS my foundation gets gross after a few hours!

Every foundation I’ve tried so far applies perfectly but then a few hours later starts to almost clump up... kinda…? I take very good care of my skin but I’m just not sure the cause of this problem! I’ve trued Clinique Better Skin and Too Faved Born This Way foundation and they’ve both done it!  I don’t want to invest in another foundation if I’m just gonna have the same problem, does anyone know a solution?!? This shade match perfectly when applied, this is three hours laterThis shade match perfectly when applied, this is three hours later

BEE817ED-592A-4BE6-B9FC-EF44529468E8.jpeg

Re: SOS my foundation gets gross after a few hours!

@CarlaRoseH  This looks like when I try to apply some of my oil free foundations over my oils. That just doesn't work. At least not for me. It is possible that some of your products are clashing, don't work together, with each other. Try this simple rule: water-based foundations work best with water-based primers. ( Water and oil don't mix. ) Silicone-based foundations work best with silicone-based primers. And so on. You get the picture. 

The primer you use has some oils in it. It's also silicone free. And those foundations I think are oil free ( Born This Way is ), and contain silicones. That could be the problem: your primer not working with those foundations. Instead of trying yet another foundation, maybe change the primer? Try something oil free/silicone based. I am sure that will help. Or at least, it won't hurt to try. You can get samples in store, so you can try before you buy. Good luck!

@lyravega explained it well! @CarlaRoseH in addition, you can also try applying primer, setting with setting powder, applying foundation, then setting powder again to make you makeup last longer

It looks like your primer and the natural oils in your skin are breaking down the foundation. It’s highly unlikely that 2 different foundations are doing the same exact thing. I used that hangover primer  as a sample and it was a disaster. My makeup looked separated after a couple of hours. Try a different primer and moisturizer and see if the same thing happens. 

@CarlaRoseH Are you using a face primer and setting your foundation with a powder?

Yes, I used Too Faced hangover primer and a Tarte Amazonian Clay setting powder

@CarlaRoseH How do you prep your skin for foundation? Is your skin oily or dry? 

I have combination skin, I always use cleanser, exfoliate 3x a week, tone, serum, and moisturize. I usually give it about an hour to soak into my skin before I prime my face for foundation.

Conversation Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 5 Hearts Given
  • 6 Contributors
Photos2
  • This shade match perfectly when applied, this is three hours later
  • BEE817ED-592A-4BE6-B9FC-EF44529468E8.jpeg
testing