Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Complexion Club
|

Primer and Foundation - help!!

So I have now tried several primers and foundations, and I still can't seem to get my make up to stay in place for multiple hours.

I've tried: Urban Decay primer, with Tarte foundation, Laura Mercier setting powder

Smashbox Primer, tarte foundation, Laura Mercier setting powder

Urban decay primer, Clinique foundation, Laura Mercier setting powder

Smashbox Photo Finish Smooth & Blur Oil-Free Foundation Primer 1 oz/ 30 mL

Urban Decay All Nighter Face Primer 1 oz/ 30 mLLAURA MERCIER - Translucent Loose Setting Powder - TranslucentSmashbox Photo Finish Smooth & Blur Oil-Free Foundation Primer 1 oz/ 30 mLCLINIQUE - Even Better Refresh™ Hydrating and Repairing FoundationTARTE - babassu foundcealer™ skincare foundation SPF 20

I have dark hair, fair skin and green eyes. I do suffer from dry skin in the winter. Would love any input!!

Re: Primer and Foundation - help!!

If you want to see if your products mix together try taking your foundation concealer and primer and mix them together, on your hand or on a palette. You'll be able to see if they work together if they mix into more of a smoothe paste or if they clump up. If they clump then take one out at a time until you figure out which product isn't mixing with the others. 

I've had the same issue with product not sticking around on my face and funny enough we also have the same skin type, hair color and eye color!

What has worked for me is getting foundation and concealer that are a sheer to medium build and going in with light layers and then applying a powder foundation if I want something more full coverage. 

I found doing this not only keeps my makeup for looking cakey but since its light layers it tends to sit on my face better and also makes it so setting spray actually penetrates through the layers of makeup better than it would if you are using a primer with thicker/full coverage foundation, concealer and then powder. That's a lot of product if you think about setting spray being used to "marry" everything on your face to give you a flawless look that actually sticks.

Another plus to getting sheer to medium build products is that if one day you don't want to do a full coverage look you don't have to go out and get new products. Just use less layers and instead of a powder foundation use a setting powder.

Something that personally I realized I was doing was when I wanted more coverage with my products I wasn't waiting for the first layer to dry/set before adding the next. It's on the more obvious side to wait for product to dry before going in again but it's something a lot of people (myself included) gloss over. 

So if you aren't already make sure to set everything dry/set before going in with another layer!

My personal favorites are the NARS Sheer Glow Foundation Barcelona and I skip around between Bobbi Brown Vitamin Enriched Face Base Moisturizer & Primer with Vitamin C + Hyaluronic Acid 1.7 oz/..., Too Faced Hangover Replenishing Face Primer 1.35 oz/ 40 mL and Tatcha The Silk Canvas Protective Primer 0.7 oz/ 20 g. But after using Tatcha The Liquid Silk Canvas: Featherweight Protective Primer 1.0 oz / 30 mL I'll probably skip the original and go with that.

Wish I could reccomend a concealer but I'm still on the hunt. 

Also - what powder are  you using?

I like the Laura Mercier ultra longwear concealer (don't remember exactly what color i use but that concealer is good!!

Thanks so much for this, such good info! So I just did my make up and it was like cakey and coming off within 10 minutes... WTF!! 

So here is my question/concern, I need full coverage foundation. Do you find if you use medium and then powder that it creates full coverage? I also put bronzer on top of my foundation (however not in the place where it's caking the most).

Thank you!

Hi! It may be a case of your primers and foundations not playing well together. Also, if you have drier skin and are not using a hydrating enough primer your skin may be pulling all the moisture out of your foundation.  Try a very small amount of primer oil like #Smashbox Photo Finish Primer Oil or LILAH B. - Aglow™ Priming Oil and then use NARS Sheer Glow Foundation Barcelona in a thin layer just to adjust skin color. Then add a concealer like Hourglass Vanish™ Airbrush Concealer Beech 6 over any areas that still need a bit of cover.  Set with Hourglass Veil™ Translucent Setting Powder - Talc Free Translucent.

Conversation Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 Hearts Given
  • 4 Contributors
testing