Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Complexion Club
|

I have no idea what’s wrong with my skin!

000BB3B3-2928-497E-B113-21624D543FB0.jpeg

My skin has been all over the place! I’ve been dealing with these red blotchy bumps. I also have way more texture and bumps on my forehead and side of my nose. I do have a skincare routine:

I use cerave hydrating cleanser or fresh soy cleanser 

the ordinary: toner, caffeine for my undereyes, vitamin C, and their moisturizer. 
I’ll also use the cerave blue SA moisturizer sometimes. 

I honestly don’t know what to do for my skin. 

Re: I have no idea what’s wrong with my skin!

What's your skin type, @shayblogging? You mention TO toner- is that the glycolic acid one? If so, using that plus vitamin C every day may be too much for your skin and you may have overexfoliated. Using actives like those can be drying so many people find the need to add hydration when using actives and I've seen a lot of people complain that TO's moisturizing factors just isn't enough for a good moisturizer. 

Also, are you using sunscreen when you go out? If you're using AHAs like the glycolic, you need sunscreen as AHAs make your skin more susceptible to sun damage. I would stop both the glycolic acid and the vitamin C for now to make sure your base routine is working for your skin and gives you a chance to heal. Then you can work them back in but I would alternate days. 

And regarding the comment below, I'd keep your water-based cleanser for daily cleansing unless you want to add in an oil-based cleanser as a first step for double cleansing (which I do actually recommend to get rid of sunscreen and makeup at night). With double cleansing, you use the oil cleanser on dry skin, rinse, the use the water-based cleanser as you normally would. And you *do not* need the lactic acid if you're already using glycolic. You could switch to lactic (they are both AHAs so it's a bit redundant to use both and could lead to more irritation) if the glycolic is too strong for you, but I wouldn't use either daily.

I would say it’s normal to dry. I do have uneven texture and deal with dullness 

I do use sunscreen! I forgot to add that to my morning list 😅 
I had seen photos of over exfoliating, would that cause the roughness in my skin too? 
is there a cleanser and moisturizer  you recommend right now? 

I want to say normal to dry skin. I typically don’t have breakouts but my skin tends to have uneven texture and dullness. 

It sounds like you're on the right track with the glycolic for helping the texture and unevenness, @shayblogging, I'd just use it less once you work it back in. If the Cerave and Fresh cleansers aren't working for you skin, here are a couple other options you could try, philosophy Purity Made Simple Cleanser First Aid Beauty Pure Skin Face Cleanser Youth To The People Superfood Gentle Antioxidant Refillable Cleanser or for a more budget-friendly option, I've liked some of the Neutrogena cleansers in the past (the daily gentle or maybe the hydraboost gel). For moisturizers, the Cerave moisturizing lotion and cream are both good budget options or belif The True Cream Moisturizing Bomb OLEHENRIKSEN Sheer Transformation® Perfecting Moisturizer First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair® Cream Intense Hydration. You may also want to check out the Inkey List options. They're pretty comparable to the Ordinary. 

Yeah, overexfoliation can cause roughness unfortunately, @shayblogging. What skin type (oily, dry, combo, normal) do you have?

I would switch from Cerave to The Ordinary Squalane Cleanser! Just remember that you apply the cleanser on a dry face (only use water afterwards to wash it off). Then I would apply Niacinamide (I have dry skin so I just apply this to the blemishes instead of entire face). And I would also recommend the Lactic Acid from The Ordinary too but only twice-three times a week max. I'll attach the products below 🙂

7 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 5 Hearts Given
  • 3 Contributors
Photos1
  • 000BB3B3-2928-497E-B113-21624D543FB0.jpeg
testing