cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Complexion Club
|

How Do You Prime and Set?

How to stay flawless.jpg

What’s the point of working so hard on a full face of makeup if it doesn't last? I know that many of you have nailed a routine that's perfect for you so I want to hear your winning combinations!

What are your tips for a flawless finish? Have any favorite primers, setting sprays or finishing powders? What tools are you using? We don't like to keep beauty secrets so share them here!

This is also a space to get advice so if you’re looking for a new complexion routine comment below!

Re: How Do You Prime and Set?

Favorite Finishing Powder: Laura Mercier Loose Translucent Setting Powder (Medium Deep). I just wrote a blog post about this today! It's so silky and awesome to use when setting my under eye concealer without looking dried out. It doesn't settle into the lines and it prevents concealer from creasing. It also performs just as well as a setting spray for the rest of my face.

Favorite Setting Spray: Definitely Urban Decay All Nighter. It keeps my makeup in place and the nozzle is nice and fine. I've used sprays with bad nozzles in the past which left wet splotches on my skin and pretty much ruined my makeup. 

Favorite Primer: I typically like any silicone primer such as the one from smashbox, too faced primed and poreless, laura geller, etc. The Hangover Primer is great considering my dry skin though. And Make Up For Ever has an awesome selection.

My tips are pretty basic but one tip is to hold the setting spray far enough away from the face to that it's an even mist all over. Overdoing it can ruin the whole look.

Another one is for those with dry skin to make sure the setting powders aren't too mattifying or drying. For the longest time I wondered why my favorite concealers looked good some times and other times would show a ton of fine lines. Then I realized it happened when I used too much powder (which sucked up all the moisture) or I hadn't moisturized under my eyes to begin with. For example, MAC pressed translucent powder I can only use the tiniest amount because it is SUPER drying on my skin.

Spraying from the right distance really makes a huge difference!!

I'm pretty much obsessed with the Smashbox Primer Water. I use it several areas in my makeup routine: as a primer, to help my foundation/concealer melt into the skin better, and to set my makeup and take away any powdery look when I'm done. It can also be used to foil shadows and refresh the skin throughout the day. I should mention that I have dry skin. 

Anonymous Insider

Have you tried comparing the smashbox primer water to any other setting sprays? I've been interested in that product but I'd like to know if it helps your makeup last significantly longer.

I'm very interested in hearing what others have to say.

As crazy as this may sound, I have really dry skin, except for my forehead.  If I use the same products as I do on the rest of my face, I will still get a shiny forehead in a few hours.  That annoys me, because then I can't use luminizers there to match the rest of my face because I have my own, built-in luminizers. 🙂

For most of my face, the one unbeatable combination I have tried is Armani's beauty products.  I start with a few dabs of the Luminessence CC Color (shade 2,) to cover red blotches; then apply the Light Master Primer; followed by Luminous Silk Foundation (shade 3.75,) with the final step being a very light dusting of the Luminous Silk powder (shade 2.)

That's a lot of product, but it gives a very natural look.

Hm...I have dry skin, and have yet to find a setting spray that I like.  Most that I've tried (UD, Colourpop, Coola, etc) have made my skin feel uncomfortably tight and dry.  Any recommendations?  Setting powders look horrible on me so those are out

Madeline7 wrote:

Hm...I have dry skin, and have yet to find a setting spray that I like.  Most that I've tried (UD, Colourpop, Coola, etc) have made my skin feel uncomfortably tight and dry.  Any recommendations?  Setting powders look horrible on me so those are out

I'm really loving the Tarte Rainforest of the sea marine boost 4 in 1 spray. It has a light citrus scent, doesn't cause tightness, and has multi uses. It be used as a primer, setting spray, hydrating mist, and skin refresher. I have tried several setting sprays from drugstore to prestige and I love this one. For a primer, Hourglass veil mineral primer, for sure. For my setting powder, I have yet to find one that beats the Cotys Airspun powder that costs $6 at Wal-Mart. 

The Too Faced 3 in 1 Hangover Spray is what I have been using and I have been loving it! It works as a primer and a setting spray. It is really hydrating because it has coconut water in it. (it also smells AMAZING!)  Also doesn't make my face feel tight or uncomfortable. I really reccomend it. It's 40 dollars but the bottle is big so it lasts a long time! You should try it!! 

@KatieBT My favorite primers so far are:

- YSL Touche Eclat Blur primer 

- Etude Glow on Hydra base 

Setting Powder:  

Am on a hunt for a good setting powder ever since they discontinued my go-to Peripera oil-blot pact... but I also like: 

- Guerlain Meteorites 

- Givenchy Prism Libres (the rosy one) 

As for setting sprays: 

-UD All-Nighter Setting Spray 

- ...I'd like the Coola one a lot if the scent didn't burn my nose. 

1 Reply
Conversation Stats
Photos10
  • How to stay flawless.jpg
  • s1495209-main-grid.jpg
  • s1900117-main-grid.jpg
  • s1783224-main-grid.jpg
  • s1061191-main-grid.jpg
  • s1478239-main-grid.jpg
  • shopping.jpeg
testing