Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Complexion Club
|

Foundations that works and dont work for you ;)

Lets talk and rant 🤣🤣🤣

Skin situation: Combo, mostly oily in the T-zone, some minimal dry patches,few texture patches. Something like that lol.

Didnt work: 

Drugstore:

-Most L'Oreal foundations including the Infallible line = Not good, cakey, skin felt weird, just not good! lol

-Revlon = the only one that really worked for me was Candid (its really good)

Rimmel = ''Breathable'' one with the grey cap = just bad, didnt work well on skin, really weird

High end: 

-Make Up Forever Matte Velvet Skin Blurring foundation!!! = Made me super oily!!!! (returned) !!! !! 

Works: 

Drugstore:

-Almay (Walmart)

-Revlon Candid (Walmart)

-Rimmel = Blue cap (lowest coverage), Red Cap, They also have a new one i want to try some time (i think its the orange cap).

- Maybelline ''Super Stay, Better Skin Powder'' foundation (discontinued/heartbreak) = I never understood the discontinuation, it was crazy popular. Note: very similar packaging to that Make Up Forever Velvet Matte thing foundation thing.

Thats pretty much it for now, i might add others over time if i forgot something 😉

What about you guys ??

Re: Foundations that works and dont work for you ;)

@Emy10 

I’m on a Chanel phase right now, I wish Sephora Canada carried Chanel, make my life easier. Le Blanc is my favourite, at $100 for 1 oz it’s pretty costly but I do prefer it to La Mer The Soft Fluid Long Wear Foundation SPF 20 310 Beige - Medium Skin with Neutral Undertone

I also like Dior Backstage but it’s more my Summer foundation. 
I honestly haven’t worn drugstore foundation in 20 years, so I have no opinions on them. 

After much trial and error, I discovered that super matte formulas no longer work for my skin although it is quite oily.  I find that products that are more skin-like are the best for me.  If I have to wear a matte, full coverage formula, it has to be one that is a soft matte that doesn't make me look casket ready.  Here are my favorites:

High End:

1) Make Up Forever Matte Velvet Skin Blurring Powder (Cognac)

2) Lancome Teint Idole Ultra Longwear Foundation Stick (500 Suede W) - great for travel

3) NARS Sheer Glow Foundation (Macao)

4) NARS Soft Matte Complete Foundation--just launched and my new HG (Macao)

5) NARS Pure Radiant Tinted Moisturizer (Seychelles)

The ones that did not work:

1) Estee Lauder Double Wear Foundation (I had an allergic reaction to an ingredient that caused my eyes to water and it wrecked havoc with my skin)

2) Make Up For Ever Matte Velvet Skin Full Coverage Foundation (No--just NO!  It barely lasted 3 hours, looked cakey and caused breakouts)

3) Clinique Stay-Matte Oil-Free Makeup (In addition to an allergic reaction to one of the ingredients, it also contains alcohol, which dried out my skin and caused my eyes to water. Plus, it oxidized so badly that I looked like a Thundercat!)

@missjr you're lucky with the Make up Forever powder foundation, it didnt for me; it made me super oily/shiny (the worst I've seen in years lol) after only like 3h, also my face kept being more oily for a few days not even using it. I tested it a few times and something in that foundation triggers my sebum production 😓

I agree with you on the Matte stuff, it doesnt always work, and mostly dont for me either, what's best is something light with a good setting powder. 🤗🤗🤗

@Emy10 

I like the Laura Mercier Flawless Lumière Radiance-Perfecting Foundation 1W1 Ivory (full coverage) and Dior BACKSTAGE Face & Body Foundation 4 Warm (light coverage).  They don't leave skin feeling or looking too greasy or matte.  The NARS Natural Radiant Longwear Foundation Gobi - Light 3 is also great.

I love that the Dior one is water and sweat resistant.

For oily skin, Estée Lauder Double Wear Stay-in-Place Foundation 7C2 Sienna is amazing, but might look a bit too matte for other skin types.

Oooh yes the Dior backstage, I heard good things about it, but the price though lol

Wait, it's less expensive than Laura Mercier??? How? Is there less product??

@Emy10 

There's actually more product in the Dior one.  Not sure why it's cheaper.  It's pretty light coverage so it's not the best for people who want to cover blemishes or want full coverage since you have to use more.

Most foundations I use are around this price or more expensive, but pricey doesn't mean better for everyone.  You really just need to find the perfect ones for your skin type.

More product? Interesting.

I preffer light and medium coverage so thats good, I used to like more coverage when I was younger, then over the years I didnt like the look of it anymore.

Next time I treat myself over a high end foundation I'll keep it in mind. I would try to get a sample first too.

bare minerals and physicians formula organic cc cream are my favorites.  can wear together, or just concealer + powder.

8 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 9 Hearts Given
  • 5 Contributors
testing