Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Complexion Club
|

Complementing Foundation and Concealer

How do you find a concealer that complements your skin tone? I finally found a foundation I like but the company doesn’t give any guidance on which concealer should be used to go with it.

Do you go with the concealer whose description matches the foundation’s description? That’s what I usually do but then I hear you’re supposed to go lighter. This shouldn’t be so hard 😭😭 There should be a chart- I like charts haha 😜

the foundation that matches me is Makeup Forever Reboot Y255 

Re: Complementing Foundation and Concealer

Thank you so much, everyone!! I am sorry for the delay in responding- my adhd brain forgot I made this post!! Haha ❤️❤️

@micheleny24 Both rules for concealer can apply, it just depends on what you want to do with the concealer. If you want to cover something up, it should match your foundation or it’ll highlight it instead of hiding it. If you want to brighten an area if your face, go a shade or two lighter. 

@micheleny24  apparently the rule of thumb is to "go for a shade lighter than your foundation" but I agree it is always best to visit a makeup counter to see in person what works for you...?!🙂

@micheleny24 @For me it was trial and error. It also helped going to a beauty counter and them letting me know what would work

with what I use. 

@micheleny24 , this is a peeve of mine, when there's no system, or the company sometimes randomly goes against their own system ***cough cough NARS cough cough**.   Going in store can help if you know of a shade you use regularly, otherwise I do rely on descriptions and photos. Takes a bit of guesswork at times.  If there's a shade matching feature, Ill use it and then see what are the three shades close to the match.  Then, using the description and photo, I'll usually make my guess.

Also, concealer need not be lighter, if that's not what you're going for.  Usually, I use concealer to cover a mylar bag/shadow or a dark spot, so it's either peachy (for the spot) or one shade lighter.  If you're using concealer like a foundation, i.e. sheered out coverage, then it can be close to the foundation.  Highlighting? 1-2 shades lighter, contour - 1-2 shades darker.

5 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 5 Hearts Given
  • 5 Contributors
testing